The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That use to be one of my favorite movie growing up, True Lies. For years I never stopped saying "Batra, Aziz!" every time I need to retrieve batteries from somewhere. one co-worker got the reference one day and I flipped out.

Surprised they never tried to bring that back for a sequel, some post-retirement angle for him and Helen with Dana having picked up the mantle. Of course it wouldn't touch the original, but I'd have a soft spot for it.

Also really liked Last Action Hero. It was a huge excuse for him to be... him. It was great XD

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody, beautiful movie. Weird how long it is though and still feels kinda rushed. :lol:

My only complaint is how historically inaccurate it is

Not covering the Sun City debacle is a big glaring moment for me and would have fit into the narrative well.

Its so mediocre. Like its nice to hear Queen music. I understand playing with historical accuracy to make a three act story, but music biopics all do the same thing. Walk Hard still remains relevant towards music biopics that came out 10 years after it released. It in no way deserves a nomination for best picture. Its also directed by a pedophile, so ya know, like Id get if said pedophile was an amazing director, but really Bryan Singer has always just sort of been a competent director. I have no idea how he earned the power he does in Hollywood. He must have had the right people at the pool parties for him to be having serious accusations in the air for 20 years now and not having been punished at all.

Singer was a safe pair of hands. And by that I mean, you could rely on him to make a competent movie and then move onto the next one. There are several filmmakers like that. Singer has never really had an artistic vision, he just knew how to work a camera and position actors. An expendable director. So perfect for Hollywood.

Alita Battle Angel was fun. Really shit the bed with pacing in the last 20 minutes, but mostly just a solid action movie. I cant remember an action movie with so much CGI *censored*ery that I was actually invested in. Some cool fight scenes and the Motorball set piece in the last act was legitimarely thrilling. Kind of glad I saw it in the theater.

Nice haul! Female Trouble and Hausu are favorites of mine.

Id actually never seen Hausu and sort of just bought it cause I knew Id love it from what Id heard about it. And I absolutely did. Female Trouble is probably my favorite of the John Waters movies Ive seen so psyched to have that. Very psyched to have True Stories cause for the past few years Ive just had a DVD that was in the wrong aspect ratio.

Hausu really does live up to the hype. It's as bonkers as people say it is. It's also very sweet and funny. Female Trouble is definitely my favorite Waters that I've seen. Besides that film: I like Desperate Living. I'm ambivalent towards Pink Flamingos. Not a fan of Polyester (the music is great, though, especially "Be My Daddy Baby"). Hairspray and Cry Baby I haven't seen in years. And the rest I haven't seen at all.

I saw Pink Flamingos for the first time on a first date weirdly enough. We watched Repo Man, which I had already seen and loved before that, and I guess after that they figured I was down enough to watch Pink Flamingos with. I think they expected me to be more shocked, but Pink Flamingos is such a famous movie that I already kind of knew all the major scenes through osmosis.

Loved it immediately though. Just love those long takes from Waters early stuff where everybody is talking loud and talking over eachother. So many classic lines of dialogue I love from Pink Flamingos. I prefer Female Trouble because it retains that stuff I like while also just being noticeable step up in craft from Pink Flamingos.