#41 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:24 AM

I don't recall black and white films being tinted according to the mood, scenery, and whatnot. I think there may have been few that were tinted based on time of day, but I can't remember. But I do remember Thief of Baghdad's tinting red and blue based on where Fairbanks was and what he was doing. Plus, the visuals are pretty good.

#42 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Did you watch Birth with tints?

Tinting was very common back during the early-mid silent days. Tints were used for all kinds of stuff. There wasn't an exact code but generally they were used to provide, as you indicated, narrative information like the time of day (e.g. blue/green for night/darkness, amber/sepia for lightness) and to enhance the scenery/setting and mood (e.g. green for nature; red for fire or romance/passion/fiery). So Thief did that but so did many other movies. What makes the movie truly essential is the lavish visual imagery and special-effects like you stated.

Edit: I knew this sounded familiar! We've talked about this already: http://caws.ws/forum...ons/?p=10382345 lol

#43 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

Ha, what haven't we talked about? :lol: But yeah, I thought Thief of Baghdad did it pretty well.

Also, why is Gone with the Wind so praised? I mean, it's not really that good as a story.

#44 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

Because it's a remarkable technical achievement of epic portions. The scope, the production design, the costumes, the 3-strip technicolor -- they're all well done. Some people probably like the performances and sentimentality, too.

#45 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:22 PM

Other than the technical achievements though, it's just too long and dull, although Vivien Leigh did great.

#46 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Well geez, that's a big thing to overlook. Film is a visual medium after all...

BTW, l'm not a huge fan of the film either... just so you know. It's not a film I find myself rewatching very often but if there are people interested in seeing it, then I'll tell them to take a look simply for the achievements I mentioned above.

#47 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:31 AM

I want to say "don't forget the score!" but honestly, I forgot how the musical score was. I do remember some parts being good though. It's just that I find the film to be too long and tedious. There's a Hindi movie I like and thought was good, but I rarely recommend it due to its length. Can't imagine a lot of people feeling too positive when they've been sitting for over two or three hours.

#48 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

Haha. Can't think of the score, either.

Long movies (well the ones I've seen) don't bug me much. Intolerance, for example, is about three hours long and yet it goes by quickly for me because it's so engaging. But I can totally understand why some would be hesitant about devoting so much time to a movie they haven't seen yet.

#49 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

Oh, definitely. Like, Sholay is one of the longest Hindi films, but I have no problem with watching it because it's entertaining from beginnin to end. In my opinion, one of the best movies that's made to entertain. It's nearly perfect, from the setting to visuals to acting to dialogues to score to music to acting. Worth the length, IMO.

Quite a few people have said they weren't keen on watching Godfather due to the length. After facepalming, I could understand why. It's quite possibly my favorite movie, if not top 5, but I tell people that they MIGHT not find it interesting or as entertaining as the movie isn't as focused on violence as many other gangster movies are. I mean, not everyone will enjoy some movies no matter how good they are, and they might be less averse to giving other long movies a try.

#50 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:31 AM

All this talk about long-length films reminds me that I need to watch Shoah, which is slightly over 10 hours, and Out 1, which is almost 13 hours! :surrender:

#51 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

... what the *Censored*? Why are they so long? Do you have friends or loved ones?

#52 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

Oh yeah I do. Unfortunately, they're all busy watching Logistics, which is 37 days long. :(

Shoah is a documentary about the holocaust and I presume the length is due to the amount of time the interviews take.

Out 1 is by a director named Jacques Rivette who was known for his unorthodox filmmaking methods and not being particularly interested in abiding to the rules of conventional cinema (such as film length). Out 1 though, isn't as excoriating as I made it out to be. On home video, it's a lot easier to take in because it's separated into multiple episodes, so it's like watching a TV show.

I wasn't being totally serious, though. I'm mildly interested in Shoah. But Out 1 is something genuinely I want to see.

#53 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

oh, so neither can really be categorized as movies, at least according to the medium that you'll watch it in.

#54 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

No no, they're movies through and through. Shoah I believe is meant to be watched like any other movie. And Out 1 is episodic like a serial.

#55 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

What are the general reviews on those movies?

#56 PaperThinWalls

PaperThinWalls

Doo-Dah

• Global Moderator
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

They're well received... maybe a little less so for Out 1 due to its unconventional nature. But the general consensus for both is positive.

#57 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

I'm shocked, with how long they are. 

Also, it sucks to see the 4th Indiana Jones movie move away from religion. One thing that made the movies captivating was seeing them go into religion and history over aliens and stuff. I thought Shia was a good successor to Harrison.

#58 phoenixsplash420

phoenixsplash420

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

I'm shocked, with how long they are. 

Also, it sucks to see the 4th Indiana Jones movie move away from religion. One thing that made the movies captivating was seeing them go into religion and history over aliens and stuff. I thought Shia was a good successor to Harrison.

Agreed. That is definitely one of the factors that killed Indiana Jones. Shia swinging on vines with monkeys was also pretty terrible.

Edited by phoenixsplash420, 15 March 2016 - 01:47 AM.

#59 jrs1991

jrs1991

Upper Midcard

• Members
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

R.I.P. Larry Drake

He was so great in Dr. Giggles and he was really good in Darkman. His character in Dr. Giggles is one of my favorite and most underrated villains ever.

#60 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

Finally saw On the Waterfront, and it was so good. Julius Caesar was okay though, but the acting was top notch, although Marlon was questionable.