The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby driver was awesome, unfortunately they want to ruin it with a sequel

Don't get how that would ruin anything. Even if a sequel sucked, it doesn't ruin the original.

I hate that way of thinking.

Tbh, it kind of does.

And even when a sequel is decent, or even good...sometimes it takes away from what the original was. The Matrix and John Wick are both good examples of that, IMO.

Edited by Generations

Don't get how that would ruin anything. Even if a sequel sucked, it doesn't ruin the original.

Tbh, it kind of does.

And even when a sequel is decent, or even good...sometimes it takes away from what the original was. The Matrix and John Wick are both good examples of that, IMO.

And in this case it would ruin this characters decent ending.

Tbh, it kind of does.

John Wick 2 was great.

Tbh, it kind of does.

John Wick 2 was great.

I don't think he is saying John wick was bad. Never seen it actually but didn't they plan on a sequel before the first one was released

And the sequel built on the world already established, made it a little more grandiose and executed it rather well. For me. I left wanting to see more of the assassin world that they created and I felt like chapter 2 delivered on that.

Edited by Creep.

Tbh, it kind of does.

Tbh, it doesn't. It's all in your head if anything.

And John Wick 2 expanded on the world of 1 and made me appreciate both films more. I'm not going to sit here and bash your opinion but that's crazy talk from my point of view.

Tbh, it kind of does.

And John Wick 2 expanded on the world of 1 and made me appreciate both films more. I'm not going to sit here and bash your opinion but that's crazy talk from my point of view.

All in my head? Nah. That's a pretentious statement, and you know it.

All I'm saying is that a movie like John Wick never needed a sequel. It was a proper standalone classic, and those are hard to come by these days. I never said that JW2 was bad, just that it never needed to be a thing. I was happier having John Wick as a classic standalone film. I wasn't greedy for a sequel. Greed ruins good things. Maybe 2 was good...but maybe 3 won't be...maybe 4 and 5 will suck entirely. Maybe they keep pumping them out, because there's no limit now. Should have just left a standalone classic on its own.

If a sequel is worse than the original, then it leaves a bad taste in ruining the direction of the franchise. If a sequel is better than the original, then it makes people forget about the original (Such is the case with something like Terminator). How many people really go back and watch the original Terminator, and reminisce about that movie? Everyone loves T2 because it upstaged the original. It's a dangerous territory with creating sequels for movies that were already great.

The original Jaws? Great movie. All of the sequels...trash, trash, and more trash. And the franchise as a whole definitely has a sour perception as a result. Of course people still love the classic Jaws. But it would be better if it wasn't plagued by a laundry list of terrible sequels. If they just let it be a standalone movie.

Edited by Generations

Lmfao okay man.

John Wick 3 with everyone after him is something I'm looking forward to a lot, I really hope they give Ian McShane top billing, his character has been on the sidelines so far. Maybe he'll be a big part of the show. I do enjoy Ian McShane in everything he's in.

Not pretentious at all. It is technically all in your head. If you can't seperate the original from the sequels, that's a YOU problem lol. Because it sure as hell isn't a me problem. I can still watch Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer even though the sequel was dogshit. I still watch the original Aliens even though I much prefer Aliens 2.

Jaws is still seen as a classic in the horror community and the sequels are rarely brought up. It's still the first film mentioned or compared when a new shark or wild animal film comes out.

And no, *Censored* that. If something is great, I will never have an issue with having more of it. Especially if the world can expand like what John Wick 2 did. I prefer it to the original but that doesn't take away from my love for what started it all.

If Edgar Wright thinks he can expand on Baby Driver, his creation, then he sure as hell has every right too.

Edited by Respect The Beard

Acting like I ever said that I couldn't watch classic movies because of bad sequels is dumb as *Censored*. I never implied that.

You're just ranting now.

And "*Censored* that, I want as much of a good thing as I can get" is about the single most damning quality of society that I can think of. Why can't people enjoy a good thing for being good...and then move onto another completely different good thing?

Edited by Generations

You said it would be a better if say, Jaws was a standalone film. I'm saying it doesn't make a difference. They tried and it failed. Cool. But that doesn't take away from the original or matter in the grand scheme of things..

So I drink a good brand of beer once, then just move on to another good one? Go to a good restaurant once, never go again because I should move on to the next good one?

There's no issue with being told a good story once and wanting to see more of the character in different stories. You might bash the comparisons I made but I really don't get the difference.

Edited by Respect The Beard

You said it would be a better if say, Jaws was a standalone film. I'm saying it doesn't make a difference. They tried and it failed. Cool. But that doesn't take away from the original or matter in the grand scheme of things..

When people hear Jaws...they don't just think of the original...they think of the entire franchise. They think of the classic...but they also think of the dumb ones. Hence, yes...it does devalue the name at face value. The original movie is untouched. It will always be enjoyable...but there's also a definite eye-roll there when you think about the franchise as a whole. Same with Alien. If those shit filsm were never made, then that bitter aftertaste wouldn't be there. You would have absolutely nothing but fond memories of the classic. You wouldn't have to say "Oh yeah...the original is a great movie, but man...those sequels were awful"...you could just say "Great *censored*ing movie" and leave it at that.

Edited by Generations

I think it depends on the franchise. If Two Towers and ROTK were bad then there would be no point in watching Fellowship and it would lessen in impact because those movies are so reliant on their connective tissue. Sure Fellowship may be a solid film in this case, but why watch it when you know the sequels are bad and there's no point continuing with a bad story?

Jaws and John Wick are different. Those first movies are complete packages and work as standalone movies. Jaws did it bad by extending to poor sequels, but it doesn't dampen the first's impact because that completely package is still there. If John Wick 2 was bad and subsequent sequels are bad then you can still enjoy the first as, again, that complete package.

There are different types of sequels and overall stories.

Edited by Creep.

I wanted to see Meg with Jason Statham this year but it got delayed till August 2018. It's about a 76 or something foot Megalodon shark and Statham is an ex navy officer with a history with the shark and is now back to lead a rescue mission against it.

I love those kind of movies. Perfect popcorn flicks!

Sounds a lot like Moby Dick

Tbh, it kind of does.

All in my head? Nah. That's a pretentious statement, and you know it.

All I'm saying is that a movie like John Wick never needed a sequel. It was a proper standalone classic, and those are hard to come by these days. I never said that JW2 was bad, just that it never needed to be a thing. I was happier having John Wick as a classic standalone film. I wasn't greedy for a sequel. Greed ruins good things. Maybe 2 was good...but maybe 3 won't be...maybe 4 and 5 will suck entirely. Maybe they keep pumping them out, because there's no limit now. Should have just left a standalone classic on its own.

If a sequel is worse than the original, then it leaves a bad taste in ruining the direction of the franchise. If a sequel is better than the original, then it makes people forget about the original (Such is the case with something like Terminator). How many people really go back and watch the original Terminator, and reminisce about that movie? Everyone loves T2 because it upstaged the original. It's a dangerous territory with creating sequels for movies that were already great.

The original Jaws? Great movie. All of the sequels...trash, trash, and more trash. And the franchise as a whole definitely has a sour perception as a result. Of course people still love the classic Jaws. But it would be better if it wasn't plagued by a laundry list of terrible sequels. If they just let it be a standalone movie.

Sequel was great and thoroughly entertaining. And I'm sure Terminator still gets reminisced fondly.