Film Music Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that John Williams didnt really do anything that spectacular in The Force Awakens. The film made great use of old themes and songs, but nothing really brand new or outstanding.

Shame really.

I agree with Creep, loved the movie but definitely walked out of the cinema feeling pretty underwhelmed at the Force Awakens' soundtrack.

On the other hand, I haven't seen it yet but I've heard the soundtrack for The Hateful Eight is pretty mind blowing. Not a surprise if true considering it's Tarantino though.

^ I'm a big of the music he composed for the first two Home Alone films. Underrated stuff.

The Vengeance Trilogy in general has great music.

Beautiful; yet another reason to watch the film!

I agree with Creep, loved the movie but definitely walked out of the cinema feeling pretty underwhelmed at the Force Awakens' soundtrack.

On the other hand, I haven't seen it yet but I've heard the soundtrack for The Hateful Eight is pretty mind blowing. Not a surprise if true considering it's Tarantino though.

Oooh, the score is the thing I'm most excited about! A new score by Ennio Morricone is always a welcome treat, especially when it defies expectations. Apparently instead of delivering Tarantino a western score, he gave him a horror (and to some degrees giallo) score. Sounds exciting. I absolutely love his work in Dario Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plumage:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bczne9WZpb0

I barely noticed the soundtrack in The Force Awakens.

I like the soundtrack of Django Unchained, especially Django and Trinity. The John Legend song was pretty good too.

The Social Network's soundtrack is awesome. It really augmented what was already a great movie.

So this past October I watched the sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shock Treatment, for the first time -- and I gotta say, while I wasn't too enthusiastic about most of the songs (and frankly the film itself), there were three in particular that I felt were just as good, if not BETTER than the best songs from Rocky Horror, which is saying something because there are some phenomenal songs in that movie.

Little known cult movie from 1980 that features the music of Oingo Boingo back during their theater troupe days when they were called The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. Ideally I would show the footage from the movie, but unfortunately I cannot since some of the material is a bit much for this forum. This audio-only clip of the opening theme (sung by Danny Elfman) will suffice I suppose but if you like what you hear, go straight to YouTube and look up the footage yourself, especially if you're a person who likes transgressive cinema with an Underground comix sensibility.

^ I like how Lynch redefines a sweet, melancholic song about longing for loss love into a creepy, insidious song about obsession and control. I always felt that Roy Orbison was a good sport for accepting Lynch's use of the song -- although I'm sure Orbison's renewed fame that came afterwards certainly helped matters.

Staying on Blue Velvet, in addition to its use of old pop songs (Rossellini's sultry, haunting rendition of "Blue Velvet," in particular I adore) and Angelo Badalamenti's beautiful orchestral score, I am quite fond of this original track sung by Julee Cruise:

Originally, Lynch wanted This Mortal Coil's "Song to the Siren" for the film, but he was unable to obtain the rights so he and Badalamenti created this wonderful tune instead. Over a decade later, though, Lynch did eventually get the rights and used it in Lost Highway.

What I really love about the Roy in Blue Velvet is that for me it's not just Lynch turning the song from one extreme to another it's that it opened my eyes that maybe Roy's songs were always more deep than what they appeared to be on the surface. Great soundtrack all around, probably still got it on tape somewhere.

That one doesn't seem to work for me. To be honest I'm not really into film too much but my brother works in film so I'd often get the opportunity to go through his collection of (back then) VHS and his soundtrack collections; Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and all that.

One movie I did see and that had a deep impact on me was Baraka from 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEb1iZ2JYHI