Official Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Disney+/HBO Max Topic

Generations

Space Jam 2 is trying way too hard to be 'Ready Player One', and I really don't know why. All this movie needed was Basketball and Looney Tunes...

These bitches really put Game of Thrones, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Iron Giant, etc. in this movie for no good reason...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/3/2021 at 1:23 PM, Generations said:

Space Jam 2 is trying way too hard to be 'Ready Player One', and I really don't know why. All this movie needed was Basketball and Looney Tunes...

These bitches really put Game of Thrones, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Iron Giant, etc. in this movie for no good reason...

It makes sense all those are owned by Warner Brothers and this is a bigger WB server so of course they're going to be on there

2 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

It makes sense all those are owned by Warner Brothers and this is a bigger WB server so of course they're going to be on there

What do you mean "of course they're going to be there"? No...it doesn't "all make sense".

You don't need to put unrelated shit in a movie about cartoons playing basketball, just because you own the rights. If that was true, then every single movie made by every single studio could (and would) contain other characters from other franchises they own. You're not gonna see Tom and Jerry in Mortal Kombat just because "they own both, so it makes sense". Stop saying ridiculous things. They are intentionally trying to do a 'Ready Player One' clone because they think it will be more successful than a simple sequel...and I don't think that's true at all. This movie doesn't need that. It's going to ruin the experience.

2 hours ago, Generations said:

What do you mean "of course they're going to be there"? No...it doesn't "all make sense".

You don't need to put unrelated shit in a movie about cartoons playing basketball, just because you own the rights. If that was true, then every single movie made by every single studio could (and would) contain other characters from other franchises they own. You're not gonna see Tom and Jerry in Mortal Kombat just because "they own both, so it makes sense". Stop saying ridiculous things. They are intentionally trying to do a 'Ready Player One' clone because they think it will be more successful than a simple sequel...and I don't think that's true at all. This movie doesn't need that. It's going to ruin the experience.

Well yeah it does make sense unlike in the first movie how did he get to teen world he went through the server of WB I'm like in the first movie where he was drag underground through a Warner Brothers symbol I believe if they did did the other way it'll be just a a copy of the old movie this way they can bring in more characters more fun with it it's called more like Easter eggs instead of ready player one which needed to have all those characters this is a nostalgic movie if you're expecting anything more than that then that's on you

I’m sure there’s a logical explanation behind their inclusion within the plot but I’m with Gen, I think it’s a terrible creative idea. To me it screams a corporate, commercial decision. Warner has a whole bunch of IPs in their catalogue that they can use and they decided they could use this particular film to showcase those IPs. In other words, this film is one big ad for HBO Max.

On 10/3/2015 at 4:39 PM, Royal Nakamura said:

Ahhhh, they've taken The Office U.S. off of UK's Netflix. Not sure if they've done it to US Netflix too?

They did last year I believe it went to peacock since it's owned by them

Finally watched all of last man on Earth not as bad as I thought it was going to be kind of sad it got canceled

15 hours ago, Fight Me. said:

I swear Space Jam 2 was coming out this week...but the new date is July 16. When did this happen lol

And Mortal Kombat was pushed back because they didn't want it to release same time as Space Jam 2. So...it's obviously just some corporate bullshit. If I had to guess, they've done good numbers already this period, and they're pushing these movies to the beginning of a new period. Godzilla vs Kong probably exceeded their expectations and made them say "oh...we can push the next wave back even further".

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, Generations said:

And Mortal Kombat was pushed back because they didn't want it to release same time as Space Jam 2. So...it's obviously just some corporate bullshit. If I had to guess, they've done good numbers already this period, and they're pushing these movies to the beginning of a new period. Godzilla vs Kong probably exceeded their expectations and made them say "oh...we can push the next wave back even further".

Well considering that mortal Kombat was only pushed back a week not that big of a deal considering space jam doesn't come out until the summer and in fact it was a smart business decision considering that they put them both on at the same time it's going to eat each other's profits for opening day

Mortal Kombat was pretty fun!

I kinda wish 3/4 of the movie wasn't basically just setting up everything but I get it, it's the first reboot since the 90s lol. Really looking forward to the sequel(s)

They did Goro and Kung Lao dirty tho.

Mortal Kombat Review
Pros
Super fun and creative fights
Good Effects
Kano
Kabal
Story is whatever but it's better than the other movies

Cons 
Editing
Villains get like no screen time
Literal Plot Armor
Cole

Cole isnt the worst character ever, he's just so bland compared to the iconic characters. And his power is so lame. Hell I thought Taven was better than Cole and he was super bland. And the editing is super jarring sometimes. That being said, we are watching this for the fights and gore, which is plentiful, well shot, and very well choreographed. I am interested to see how this gets a sequel or becomes a franchise. As an MK superfan, I love it. 10/10. As a dude who also feels the need to be fair and critique it... I give it a solid 7/10. Pretty good and gives what you are expecting, but with some glaring issues in the other departments. Kano.

I'm also really surprised they jobbed out Mileena like that given how important she is to Kitana, but characters can always be revived. Was surprised to see Nitara and Reiko in this as well, even though I hated Reiko's new look. Sonya just immediately getting her powers was kinda wack, especially with how they kept saying how hard it is. Kabal was really fun and I wish he had more screen time. Shang Tsung did nothing for me, which is a shame as he is one of my favorites. Here's hoping we get the big bad, my main in MK11, Shao Kahn in the next one, and give the roll to Batista.

5 hours ago, Aqfitz said:

Mortal Kombat Review
Pros
Super fun and creative fights
Good Effects
Kano
Kabal
Story is whatever but it's better than the other movies

Cons 
Editing
Villains get like no screen time
Literal Plot Armor
Cole

Reveal hidden contents

Cole isnt the worst character ever, he's just so bland compared to the iconic characters. And his power is so lame. Hell I thought Taven was better than Cole and he was super bland. And the editing is super jarring sometimes. That being said, we are watching this for the fights and gore, which is plentiful, well shot, and very well choreographed. I am interested to see how this gets a sequel or becomes a franchise. As an MK superfan, I love it. 10/10. As a dude who also feels the need to be fair and critique it... I give it a solid 7/10. Pretty good and gives what you are expecting, but with some glaring issues in the other departments. Kano.

I'm also really surprised they jobbed out Mileena like that given how important she is to Kitana, but characters can always be revived. Was surprised to see Nitara and Reiko in this as well, even though I hated Reiko's new look. Sonya just immediately getting her powers was kinda wack, especially with how they kept saying how hard it is. Kabal was really fun and I wish he had more screen time. Shang Tsung did nothing for me, which is a shame as he is one of my favorites. Here's hoping we get the big bad, my main in MK11, Shao Kahn in the next one, and give the roll to Batista.

So where do you put it in terms of the other mortal Kombat movies

^ It's the best one (unless you're hung up on nostalgia)

I got a real kick out of all the easter eggs and inside jokes. Like...Kano fighting Liu Kang, and getting swept three times in a row. Gets him twice in a row. Tries to jump to avoid it... jumps too early. Lands. Gets swept a third time. Says "is that the only move you know?" I mean...come on. That's fantastic. Lol. That's some straight button-mashing shit. Some of the other references were a bit cringey (I wasn't a huge fan of them saying things like "flawless victory") but...I also didn't throw my hands up and walk away from the tv. It just felt a little more cheap than it needed to. But, yeah...for every one of the jokes that went too far, there were twice as many that hit perfectly. I was grinning like a child for the whole film.

Also, yeah...Cole is a completely pointless character. Made worse by him being the one to kill Goro. 

On 4/24/2021 at 11:20 PM, Jeb ? said:

I'd love this casting except that Cage is a heavy kicker, and Miz's kicks from what I've seen in the ring are ... slow

I doubt the miz can do the splits so even I think he would nail the smartass attitude, he won't be able to do the fighting moves justice.

Other than that I loved the movie!

I didn't mind Cole given he is a descentant and it was better to have someone bring back 

Scorpion

instead of just letting him pop up like this.

The fight scenes were awesome because they took mainly actors that have a martial arts background and can really fight which is far better then what we got in the past.

The overall production and effects were great, nothing felt cheap. The writing matches the games and had a lot of fan service in it which I loved!

What bothered me a bit was how some of the characters were treated making them look VERY easy to beat instead of having them be more kick ass like in the games 

Nitara as example flew directly into her death and thats it and Kung Lao even had great fight scenes took immediately a fatality by Shang Tsung without putting up any fight against him at all

All in all it is the best MK movie ever so far and I really hope the sequel is coming soon with more characters and great fights!

Archived