Dyl's back!

dyl.

I know this section has been dead for quite some time, and I miss my old friends on here and my partner designers.

I forgot the info to my old account, which is linked in my sig so I made this one.

It's been quite a while, and I haven't really had much time to design anything so I'll post a few old designs, hopefully get some feedback and maybe get this section of the forum up and running again in the near future. Thanks!

25gquts.png

1z6f534.png

v6sw11.jpg

180v1y.png

• 2 weeks later...

It is pretty solid. The smudging is really good, I really like it except it might be a tad overdone on his arm. And I just feel maybe the lighting or something could be better to draw my attention to the focal more. The way it is, I am drawn to the trophy/blank white spot. Could also just be the focal being a little small though. Not trying to say I don't like it or that it is bad, just trying to point out what could be better.

It is pretty solid. The smudging is really good, I really like it except it might be a tad overdone on his arm. And I just feel maybe the lighting or something could be better to draw my attention to the focal more. The way it is, I am drawn to the trophy/blank white spot. Could also just be the focal being a little small though. Not trying to say I don't like it or that it is bad, just trying to point out what could be better.

I really appreciate that, Grenade. I'll definitely work on it. Should I add a soft brush lighting layer or something else by his face/head?

Personally, I like it, and I think the size works well too, BUT I think it'd profit from the left side being a little less filled up. I feel like a sleek, clean white would enhance the smudged stock.

Thanks Lyriqz! I actually fixed it a little before I saw your comment, what do you think?

And what would you suggest I do to add the "sleek, clean white" you were talking about?

Derek%20Hough2_zpsfhzstesl.png

I'm not sure if that's possible at this point, but I'd remove most of the darker parts on the left side, and also make the right side (basically behind him) lighter. As I can't see the layers and such, I have no idea if that would just massively screw up the piece at this point though, so don't take this as absolute criticism, haha. I'd definitely remove the part above the solid dark area on the right. (the smudged 'fog') though. I think that'd light it up considerably. I do like how it came out, don't get wrong, I just think it clutters this particular piece.

I'm not sure if that's possible at this point, but I'd remove most of the darker parts on the left side, and also make the right side (basically behind him) lighter. As I can't see the layers and such, I have no idea if that would just massively screw up the piece at this point though, so don't take this as absolute criticism, haha. I'd definitely remove the part above the solid dark area on the right. (the smudged 'fog') though. I think that'd light it up considerably. I do like how it came out, don't get wrong, I just think it clutters this particular piece.

You think I could send you the PSD and you could play around with it and help me out? :D

I really appreciate that, Grenade. I'll definitely work on it. Should I add a soft brush lighting layer or something else by his face/head?

If you haven't already done any lighting then yeah. You can almost never go wrong with a layer or two of lighting with a soft brush and/or just a lighting effect. Lighting isn't the only way to bring out a focal though. Creating depth works too, there just doesn't seem to be much in this particular sig to work with depth wise.

If you haven't already done any lighting then yeah. You can almost never go wrong with a layer or two of lighting with a soft brush and/or just a lighting effect. Lighting isn't the only way to bring out a focal though. Creating depth works too, there just doesn't seem to be much in this particular sig to work with depth wise.

I added a lighting layer in the updated version, an omni lighting effect. I think it looks better that way than the original. and how do you suggest I improve depth? Not only in this tag, but any of my future ones.

I mean I am just now reinstalling Photoshop myself for the first time in like 2 years so I am probably not the best teacher tbqh. But some examples could be brushing or placing focals clearly in front of or behind your focal, whether in a layer under/over or just erasing the parts that look in front but shouldn't be. Or just simply blurring and sharpening can usually help.

Archived