Marvel Cinematic Universe

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically speaking, I enjoy everything comic related in one way or another. I even like the really shitty adaptations from the 70's and 80's. They're good for a laugh. So, I'm not about to get all high and mighty, and be like "they ruined Venom". But, yeah...it's definitely one for waiting on. I knew from the first few seconds of the trailer that I didn't want to see it in theaters, and the further images and videos that I saw after that have only affirmed that I didn't want to buy or rent it either. :lol:

Rather a film is good or bad is subjective.Almost all Marvel movies you can "switch your brain off too and have fun." Really when was the last Marvel film that had you thinking deep thoughts? none really (It's not an insult because we do need these kinda films.) I would say Venom is better then Iron Man 2, Thor 1&2, The Incredible Hulk

It was a waste of Tom Hardy. They gave him a terrible script and he knew how shit it was, his performance was very over the top.

I liked Venom but the promotion towards its release, was very strange.

Tom Hardy was basically saying "they cut out all the good shit, I'm fed up, don't look at me when you're disappointed" in every interview and Michelle Williams was like "this is beneath me and I hate comic films, but I need the paycheck, so it is what it is". They buried the shit out of this movie.

AND THAT *censored*ING EMINEM SONG WHAT THE *Censored* WAS THAT PIECE OF SHIT

Rather a film is good or bad is subjective.Almost all Marvel movies you can "switch your brain off too and have fun." Really when was the last Marvel film that had you thinking deep thoughts? none really (It's not an insult because we do need these kinda films.) I would say Venom is better then Iron Man 2, Thor 1&2, The Incredible Hulk

Not really. Fellowship of the Ring is in no way a bad film. Its almost perfectly constructed in every respect. You enjoying it or not is whats subjective.

Yeah, I have to agree with Creep here. There is good and bad film-making. It's not subjective whether something is crafted well...it either is, or isn't. I can think of a thousand movies that I would have no interest in ever watching, but I'm sure they're "good films" in terms of the quality of production and direction. Likewise, I watched 'Santa Jaws' (a shitty SyFy movie about a killer shark during Christmas)...and that movie was a steaming turd, but I watched the whole thing and laughed my ass off. That wasn't good. I would never say that was good. But, it amused me. :lol:

Saying Avatar is well crafted like Fellowship is a big insult to me. I dont hate Avatar, but its nowhere close to Fellowship or any LOTR movie. Its more akin to the Hobbit with the overuse of CGI, generic script, wooden performances and studio cynicism. Fellowship had more heart, right down to the people who made chain mail for individual orcs than Avatar did in the entire movie.

Its like comparing Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back. Avatar, despite its fancy CGI and 3D work has no lasting impact both on the movie industry or socially. LOTR changed the industry and has become a master class in filmmaking.

Saying Avatar is well crafted like Fellowship is a big insult to me. I dont hate Avatar, but its nowhere close to Fellowship or any LOTR movie. Its more akin to the Hobbit with the overuse of CGI, generic script, wooden performances and studio cynicism. Fellowship had more heart, right down to the people who made chain mail for individual orcs than Avatar did in the entire movie.

Its like comparing Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back. Avatar, despite its fancy CGI and 3D work has no lasting impact both on the movie industry or socially. LOTR changed the industry and has become a master class in filmmaking.

Now now...I disagree about Avatar having no impact on the movie industry. It was the first movie of its kinda that used our available technology to create massive landscape that didn't look like cardboard cut outs. I would even go so far it's one of the reasons why so many modern reboots and remakes try to go the "epic" way and often fall flat on their noses. It worked for Avatar, because it was the first of its kind, but as you said yourself...Avatar really has nothing significant to it, except for the part where I disagree with you.

From a story and writing perspective it was fine. Nothing revolutionairy or groundbreaking or even memorable, but it wasn't awful. That's why it is forgetable. Comparing it to any of the LotR movies really does the LotR movies a disservice. From the time that went into them and, imho most importantly, the selling point of the movies. Avatar was a movie to promote a new way to present films, LotR was a adaptation from "un-adaptable" books and it was something that would define a director, actors and a whole generation of movie goes regardless of how well or awful it turned out to be. Fellowship is a far more significant piece of film making history, but Avatar still left an impact.

Now now...I disagree about Avatar having no impact on the movie industry. It was the first movie of its kinda that used our available technology to create massive landscape that didn't look like cardboard cut outs. I would even go so far it's one of the reasons why so many modern reboots and remakes try to go the "epic" way and often fall flat on their noses. It worked for Avatar, because it was the first of its kind, but as you said yourself...Avatar really has nothing significant to it, except for the part where I disagree with you.

From a story and writing perspective it was fine. Nothing revolutionairy or groundbreaking or even memorable, but it wasn't awful. That's why it is forgetable. Comparing it to any of the LotR movies really does the LotR movies a disservice. From the time that went into them and, imho most importantly, the selling point of the movies. Avatar was a movie to promote a new way to present films, LotR was a adaptation from "un-adaptable" books and it was something that would define a director, actors and a whole generation of movie goes regardless of how well or awful it turned out to be. Fellowship is a far more significant piece of film making history, but Avatar still left an impact.

Thank you, I cannot stress that enough tbh. I am hugely bias with LOTR I know, but it's true.

But I'd argue that the impact that Avatar left was ultimately a bad thing for cinema. It made every movie and reboot and sequel want to be 'epic', but that created a long chain of movies that all feel the same, shallow nonsense. I would also argue that Avatar might have used revolutionary technology, but Weta workshop (Peter Jackson's company) have also revolutionised the industry when it comes to the many avenues of film production.

Avatar is an important landmark in film history because it ushered in a much improved form of 3D technology that was actually watchable. Aside from that...yeah, it was alright. Nothing amazing. I still like it. I think it mostly just gets guff from people who like to pretend that they didn't go to the theater to see it.

Anyway...I still need to watch Daredevil S3. Not sure why I never got around to that.

Archived