EVOLVE Wrestling

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been an interesting week for EVOLVE Wrestling and that continued today when former tag champ Ethan Page announced hes no longer part of the company.

Page dropped the news on Twitter and said that he had wrestled his final EVOLVE match on September 23, which is when he and ACH lost the tag team titles.

He then thanked WWN execs and added, I hope everyone enjoyed working with me & I hope I created enough moments, matches & memories to leave a cool piece of my career with EVOLVE.

Ethan also announced that he has independent openings from October 13-15 which is when the next set of EVOLVE shows takes place but he says the company didnt force him off the shows.

As for the why Page isnt saying. Dont ask me why because I wont tell you. Im going to eventually do a shoot interview, so I may as well charge you $$$ for it down the line.

Check out his statement below.

https://twitter.com/OfficialEGO/status/913437410192773123?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ethan-page-leaves-evolve/

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, WWN still has yet to be served in the lawsuit Flosports Inc has filed against them in Texas. Interesting to note that IPW-UK, the last promotion scheduled to have a live broadcast on that streaming service, announced this week they would no longer work with Flosports, so the future of that service looks to be very dark.

In an email to talent today, Gabe Sapolsky noted the company are mulling over different possibilities for how they will stream their events going forward, but made it clear that WWE Network was not one of the current options, noting he wanted to kill any rumors.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=112878

What's does everyone think about the EVOLVE to dust thing they've been hyping? I thought it may have been teasing the promotion ending but it seems like a debut/return after seeing the second video. Rumors are going around that Gabe is on his way out of EVOLVE.

The Evolve to dust thing is.....

Three guys from FIP. Odinson, Drennan and Parrow.

Gabe finally getting his dream gig at WWE? He's already HHH's bitch, seems like.

He's supposedly been a consultant for a while now, but I guess he's moving into a more permanent role with the company. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here, both with Evolve and NXT. Gabe did some amazing things with ROH, but Evolve has always seemed kind of lackluster.

They already lost Ethan Page and ACH is probably gone too. Would not be at all surprised if ZSJ leaves once he drops the Evolve Championship. He already competes for New Japan, so it's only a matter of time before he ends up competing in ROH. There are rumors that Fred Yehi is headed to NXT, which would be interesting, although I think he may get lost in the shuffle in NXT.

• 2 months later...

WWNLive's Gabe Sapolsky will be signing an official contract with World Wrestling Entertainment as a consultant, PWInsider.com has confirmed. Sapolsky, 45, has been working on a handshake agreement with WWE for months, helping out specifically at the WWE NXT tapings. We are told Sapolsky will retain his position and responsibilities with WWN and the EVOLVE promotion and this is seen as a growth in the relationship between WWE and WWN.

The deal puts Sapolky and long-time mentor Paul Heyman, technically, back under the same roof for the first time since the original ECW closed in 2001. Before his current position with EVOLVE/WWN, Sapolsky was the initial booker for Ring of Honor and worked behind the scenes for ECW, including authoring the promotion's official program and heading up a Sabu Fan Club.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=114698

WWNLive's Gabe Sapolsky will be signing an official contract with World Wrestling Entertainment as a consultant, PWInsider.com has confirmed. Sapolsky, 45, has been working on a handshake agreement with WWE for months, helping out specifically at the WWE NXT tapings. We are told Sapolsky will retain his position and responsibilities with WWN and the EVOLVE promotion and this is seen as a growth in the relationship between WWE and WWN.

The deal puts Sapolky and long-time mentor Paul Heyman, technically, back under the same roof for the first time since the original ECW closed in 2001. Before his current position with EVOLVE/WWN, Sapolsky was the initial booker for Ring of Honor and worked behind the scenes for ECW, including authoring the promotion's official program and heading up a Sabu Fan Club.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=114698

It's also no coincidence that they announced William Regal for February 18th.

Gabe Sapolsky has signed a deal to join WWE as a creative consultant. Sapolsky issued the following statement:

I am beyond excited about what the future will bring, Sapolsky said. I need to give my most heartfelt thank you to everyone who has supported me on this 24 year journey. I truly wouldnt be here without you. I never forget that and will always work my hardest to bring you the best product possible. I want to make it clear that I am still committed to doing the same job I have always done for WWN and EVOLVE. I go 100% in everything I do and will never let up. In fact, I feel that 2018 will be the will be biggest year in WWN history with the launch of the Club WWN subscription service at WWNLive.com. I cant wait for EVOLVE this Saturday and Sunday in New York City. EVOLVE will be the place for talent to make and improve their reputations. It can be new players like Darby Allin, Austin Theory and Priscilla Kelly, who really began getting noticed in 2017. It can be established players like Zack Sabre Jr., who raised his game and staked his claim as being one of the best in the world with his EVOLVE Championship reign, or Keith Lee, who had a rep going into 2017 but became THE MAN in 2017 as a singles star. I am highly anticipating seeing more talent develop up and down the card in 2018. It has the making of a special year.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/50082/Gabe-Sapolsky-Officially-Joins-WWE-Issues-Statement/

• 3 months later...

Matt Riddle is known among wrestling fans for his proclivity for marijuana, but the new EVOLVE champion has so much more depth to his story. He is a father of three, once starred as a mixed martial artist in the UFC, and he is ambitiously planning to change the course of wrestling history.

As for the weed, though, Riddle says hes curtailing his use.

Ive been cutting back, admitted Riddle. Its the schedule, the road, and Ive been cutting back a great deal.

Riddle delivers consistently compelling matches, and he is championing the no-rope break match in EVOLVE.

My goal is to make wrestling more like mixed martial arts, said Riddle. EVOLVE is a big part of that for me. My goal isnt just to make wrestling into a bigger show and make good money, but its also to evolve pro wrestling to where I think it belongs.

The 32-year-old Riddle is the EVOLVE champion after dethroning Zack Sabre Jr. over WrestleMania weekend in New Orleans, finally claiming the title he set out to win when he first made his wrestling debut in 2015.

Thats the first title I wanted when I got into independent wrestling, said Riddle. I thought I was going to be the one to take the title from Timothy Thatcher, but Zack was the one who did it. My issues with Zack were never personal, but I always wished I was the one with that belt. Zack is having a crazy year, winning titles, dominating New Japan, so beating Zack for the EVOLVE title was a feather in the cap for me.

Riddle headlines EVOLVEs upcoming shows on May 19 outside Chicago in Summit, Illinois, and May 20 just outside Detroit in Livonia, Michigan. The match on May 19 at EVOLVE 104 is a non-title affair against Shane Strickland, then it is appointment viewing on Saturday in his no-rope break match against Keith Lee in an encounter entitled The Final War.

Any match with Keith Lee is definitely circled on my calendar, said Riddle. I know Lee will bring it, and I always do. Hes a huge man who can move like a lightweight, but Im definitely not losing this EVOLVE title this soon.

After a tumultuous run with the UFC, Riddle noted that he remembers every day how fortunate he is to have found such a welcoming new home in pro wrestling.

I was landscaping not too long ago, so Im extremely grateful for the people supporting me in wrestling, said Riddle. Not that landscaping is terrible, but Id rather be suplexing and punching people.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/04/25/week-wrestling-wwe-greatest-royal-rumble-saudi-arabia-matt-riddle-marijuana

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding rumors of WWE possibly buying WWN Live's EVOLVE promotion and putting it on the WWE Network, The Wrestling Observer Notes that there have been talks of a possible sale ever since WWE started working with WWN. A deal could be made soon but the talks could go nowhere.

Vince McMahon has gone back and forth for more than two years on airing EVOLVE, PROGRESS and ICW on WWE Network, but it was recently reported again that we could see indie content on the WWE Network soon.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/53180/Rumor-Mill-WWE-Interested-In-Buying-EVOLVE/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived