153 replies to this topic

#21 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • Gamertag: GMaybee

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

The active abilities wouldn't be so overpowered that they would completely imbalance the game, they are only there to help create different play styles so each character feels different, moves different, combos differently, has different set ups for their signatures and so forth. After all not everyone gets to go SuperCena.

As we know everyone does crazy stuff in All Stars, so would Mick Foley, I did not consider daredevil dives as part of his ability because nearly everyone in All Stars already does them. When I think of Foley I think of the incredible amount of damage the man can take so I translated that into him taking less damage than everyone else. Is it an unfair advantage? Maybe. Is that how he really is though? Yep. Would that imbalance the game? Possibly, but if he were one of the slower characters with slower punch speed than the average Brawler would that even him up a bit?

But some of the temporary abilities work just as you described. For instance in an actual WWE match John Cena would only go SuperCena at a critical point in the match usually near the end, so in gameplay terms as you said you may have only 20 seconds in the match that you can use that ability, so you're gonna want to make it count. I have a different take on SuperCena mode though, I'll have to work on adding him in so everyone can see it.

Really do appreciate the feedback maskedmaniac, and interested to see what other ideas you or anyone else may have. I don't have every character laid out yet, and I may run out of ideas, so all input is good input.

#22 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

Undefeated at Wrestlemania: 0-0

• Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:32 AM

You seem to have thought this through very well. I myself did my own personal "All-Stars 2" mod on the old No Mercy game on my computer. In it, I added in a bunch of different superstars. I had a bunch of different guys to work with and implement into the game, so I came up with a few different classes to group these guys. Aside from the Acrobats, Brawlers, Big Men, and Grapplers, I created a new class called "Cheaters", in which I put in  guys who were notorious for breaking the rules to get the advantage like Eddie Guerrero, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Edge, Randy Orton,  and Ted Dibiase.

I added another class called "Mad Men" and grouped Mick Foley, Terry Funk, Jimmy Snuka, Raven, Mutah, and Hayabusa all together. This may seem like an odd assortment of individuals at first, but if you notice, all these guys were always doing something that more sane individuals wouldn't dare, like jumping off cages, using weapons and thumbtacks, or spitting poison in peoples faces.

I then created yet another new class, the "Powerhouses" because I had guys like Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, British Bulldog, Scott Steiner, Tatanka, and Dusty Rhodes. These guys weren't quite technical geniouses, not big enough to be in the "big man" category, but too big for all the other classes. They were the "tanks" of my game, who could overpower you with raw strength and the right combination of speed and agility.

The last class I added was the "Showmen" category. Guys like HBK, Sting, Ric Rude, Macho Man, Y2J, Honky Tonk Man, and DDP made up this group. Their flamboyant style and flashy outfits were too obvious to overlook and their persona's were too much to be contained in some of the other classes so I felt they deserved a class of their own.

So to sum things up, the new classes I added were:

Cheaters

Showmen

Powerhouses

Mad Men

I didn't elaborate on their abilities any further because I ran out of space and moved on to another save, but it was fun to group all these guys into different categories.

#23 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • SEN (PS3): AgeofSandow

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Cool. Would disagree with Two handed chokeslam for Ramon though. Only used it when he was buff and booked as a monster.

#24 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

You seem to have thought this through very well. I myself did my own personal "All-Stars 2" mod on the old No Mercy game on my computer. In it, I added in a bunch of different superstars. I had a bunch of different guys to work with and implement into the game, so I came up with a few different classes to group these guys. Aside from the Acrobats, Brawlers, Big Men, and Grapplers, I created a new class called "Cheaters", in which I put in  guys who were notorious for breaking the rules to get the advantage like Eddie Guerrero, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Edge, Randy Orton,  and Ted Dibiase.

I added another class called "Mad Men" and grouped Mick Foley, Terry Funk, Jimmy Snuka, Raven, Mutah, and Hayabusa all together. This may seem like an odd assortment of individuals at first, but if you notice, all these guys were always doing something that more sane individuals wouldn't dare, like jumping off cages, using weapons and thumbtacks, or spitting poison in peoples faces.

I then created yet another new class, the "Powerhouses" because I had guys like Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, British Bulldog, Scott Steiner, Tatanka, and Dusty Rhodes. These guys weren't quite technical geniouses, not big enough to be in the "big man" category, but too big for all the other classes. They were the "tanks" of my game, who could overpower you with raw strength and the right combination of speed and agility.

The last class I added was the "Showmen" category. Guys like HBK, Sting, Ric Rude, Macho Man, Y2J, Honky Tonk Man, and DDP made up this group. Their flamboyant style and flashy outfits were too obvious to overlook and their persona's were too much to be contained in some of the other classes so I felt they deserved a class of their own.

So to sum things up, the new classes I added were:

Cheaters

Showmen

Powerhouses

Mad Men

I didn't elaborate on their abilities any further because I ran out of space and moved on to another save, but it was fun to group all these guys into different categories.

Its funny if you could look into my notes you would see descriptions written like Brawler/Powerhouse, Grappler/Powerhouse, Grappler/Technical, Brawler/Martial, High Flyer/Lucha, Grappler/Submission, Grappler/Dirty, Big Man/High Flyer, Showman/Brawler.

I was lumping dirty with cheater lol... when I started typing this to avoid further confusion I stripped it down to the originals to make it easier to follow. I wanted poison mist in the game too lol, that's why I wanted Tajiri, I could probably sub him out for Ultimo since most of his moves are covered in other sets.

I had considered creating a Hardcore category also I just wondered how it could work in the game. Although it would be nice to see peoples signature foreign objects in the game. Heck I would like to see a snake let out of the bag for a change, even if its just in the ending pose.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sees things this way, without some of those characteristics many guys from the past would have had a harder time getting over.

Cool. Would disagree with Two handed chokeslam for Ramon though. Only used it when he was buff and booked as a monster.

Yeah I could see that I was just using the rule they used when they made the first one. That even if a wrestler had used a move only once in his career if it was cool, they could use it, but to keep it closer to his character I could see the change. Do you have a suggested replacement for said move.

Edited by GMaybee, 24 June 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#25 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

• Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

It would be cool for characters to have moves involving foreign objects like Jake Roberts using a snake to attack, or Foley using thumbtacks, but it done for everyone then it might border on becoming like the old MK-style arcade game they made in the mid 90's with guys using razor blades and throwing pies at people.

#26 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

Yeah that would be more like a sequel to the old Wrestlemania arcade game. Honky Tonk Man' guitar, Hacksaw's 2x4, Triple H's Sledgehammer...

#27 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

• Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

As long as the weapons couldn't be accessed at any point like in MK when you can pull out your sword at any moment.

It's weird because I was just looking at the Wikipedia Page for this game, and it says that Tony Atlas, Kevin Nash and Terry Funk were all DLC and they were made available to the public.  Were they DLC for the PSP version or the 3DS?

Edited by maskedmaniac, 24 June 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#28 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

No I think since basically anyone can update the information in those pages, probably somebody added that into some of the true info to make it seem realistic. It probably doesn't get viewed very often so no one has reported or corrected it.

#29 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

for Razor maybe:

Abdominal Stretch

Standing Northern Lights Suplex(he doesn't fall down for a bridge. Basically the "Single Arm Back Body Drop" in 2k15.

Takedown and Slaps to back of head

Arm Wrench Gut Kicks

any of these would work.

#30 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

• Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:17 AM

Let's discuss some of the fantasy warfare matchups. What about Tatanka vs Ultimate Warrior for example? Both wore tassels, both wore face paint, both came down to the ring running. I see reasons for a fantasy showdown right there.

#31 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

Fantasy Warfare was one of my favorite things about the first game. They still do them on the WWE website too. I was wondering if it would have been cooler to discover these as you played the game, I mean when your playing quick play or story mode and when you just happen to match up the right 2 characters all of the sudden before the match the Fantasy video would play making the matchup seem more special.

I planned on getting to this once I finish up some more of the character breakdowns. Except I don't have Tatanka listed, but I see where your going. I'd like to see what we come up with though. I could start a new section with them all together or add them to the character breakdowns.

I was thinking about Bray vs. Sid    The Eater of Worlds vs. The Master and Ruler of the World.

for Razor maybe:

Abdominal Stretch

Standing Northern Lights Suplex(he doesn't fall down for a bridge. Basically the "Single Arm Back Body Drop" in 2k15.

Takedown and Slaps to back of head

Arm Wrench Gut Kicks

any of these would work.

After going back and looking at my notes and a few youtube videos I realize I didn't mean the 2 handed chokebomb thing he did as Big Scott Hall. I was referring to the quick chokeslam he does which I called 2 handed because he places one hand behind the neck/shoulder blade area. I think Big Show does this version too though to protect his opponents.

I like the idea of the Standing Northern Lights. Slaps to the back of the head are a part of his character ability. I thought about using the Abdominal Stretch because he grabs one of his opponents legs (unique), but I also thought about giving that to the Iron Sheik too because he grabs the ropes but that could fit as a mechanic for the dirty class...hmm an option to grab the ropes for leverage so the move can't be countered...hmm

Added character breakdowns for Barrett, Cena, Kofi, and Road Dogg.

Edited by GMaybee, 26 June 2015 - 02:01 AM.

#32 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:30 AM

I would suggest you switch Slingshot Backbreaker with Pumphandle Slam for Barrett. Go with the Chokeslam for Razor Ramon; unless there's a way for one more slot for the abdominal stretch. Shaping up pretty nicely.

#33 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

I would suggest you switch Slingshot Backbreaker with Pumphandle Slam for Barrett. Go with the Chokeslam for Razor Ramon; unless there's a way for one more slot for the abdominal stretch. Shaping up pretty nicely.

I had it there because I thought it would be a cool signature to tie into his combos into the corner. The Pumphandle Slam is a good suggestion though I hadn't thought about it before, I'll give it some thought. I do appreciate the suggestions, I may need more help as I get closer to finishing this. I still don't have all of the character breakdowns figured out yet I may need to pick your brain (and anyone else who has an idea) on a few.

Glad you're enjoying this.

#34 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

Added Breakdowns for Swagger, Rollins, and Harper.

#35 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

just ask

#36 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

Added Undertaker and X-Pac character breakdown.

Edited by GMaybee, 30 June 2015 - 05:22 AM.

#37 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

• Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:03 AM

I'll get into reading these when I get a chance. Too busy with summer classes right now, but this sounds good.

#38 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

I got an idea for Ambrose. you should put one of those crazy strike combos he does as a signature. you could exaggerate it of course, kind of like how Roddy Piper's punch combos in the first All Stars. I think that would really add to his character.

#39 GMaybee

GMaybee

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

I got an idea for Ambrose. you should put one of those crazy strike combos he does as a signature. you could exaggerate it of course, kind of like how Roddy Piper's punch combos in the first All Stars. I think that would really add to his character.

You are absolutely right. Would be cool to see the one he does by the ropes that one handed punch/chop combo. Removed the Headlock Driver as a signature added Lunatic Punch Combo. Good call.

#40 AgeofSandow

AgeofSandow

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

Cool. I just went through this to check everything. Only really skimmed before.  Suggestions:

Brock's Lesnar's ability-I'm not really sure if this is what you meant by Beast Mode, but it'd be really cool if it it let you german suplex people like crazy, maybe with the single press of a button or a reversal. Also, what do you think of the Belly to Belly as a signature?

Ryback-spinebuster? seems to be one of his bigger moves these days.

Sandow-Corkscrew Neckbreaker or Edge-O-Matic are some ideas for that final slot.

Foley-how about the piledriver? His version is iconic to him. Not exactly sure where to put it though. 

Bray Wyatt-is the Flying Back Elbow that crazy running cross body he does?

Ziggler-gotta get a superkick in there!

Cesaro-if there's room you could do his deadlift superplex

Rick Rude-sitout piledriver signature

that's all I've got.