The Podcast Discussion Thread

XXX.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Konnan tweeted me the other day asking if I listened to his podcast, I don't. I felt like he was gonna come perform a Dios de La Muerte ceremony for me.

Konnan's podcast is the MLW podcast with Court Bauer. It has had some interesting episodes inluding interviews with Chavo, Vampiro, Juventud, Teddy Hart, Jericho, and MVP.

I usuallly only listen to wrestlers' podcasts, and that is mostly Colt Cabana's. Colt has had an interesting motley crew of guests with everyone from Rich Swan to Scott Norton.

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross had Ring of Honor star and former TNA World Heavyweight Champion Samoa Joe on his Ross Report podcast this week as his special guest. The interview was recorded prior to WrestleMania 31.

Joe has been rumored to be headed to WWE since departing TNA earlier this year, and many have speculated he could be headed to NXT as early as June.

For the first time publicly, Joe commented on where he stands with WWE, and whether he would be open to an opportunity to head to the company:

Im very much personally open to going there. Absolutely. I kind of look at it as the unchallenged challenge of my career. Its something I would love to take a shot at it. As of right now between me and WWE, people have reached out, and honestly, as you know Jim, you grow a network of good friends and acquaintances in the business and everybody truly knows everybody regardless of what company you work for. Theres been inquiries back and forth, and as of right now, well see what presents itself.

Joe noted he would be open-minded to a WWE debut, whether it be more of a formal opportunity or even a trial basis. He has since been seen backstage at NXT tapings, which has furthered speculation he could be headed there sooner rather than later. Recently, Chris Jericho confirmed there had been discussions between the two sides, meaning a deal between the two entities is very possible.

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/samoa-joe-confirms-interest-signing-wwe/35435/

• 2 months later...

Talk Is Jericho with Bill DeMott was terrible. When they touched on the subject of his departure, I stopped listening in disgust because it was essentially Bill attempting to justify whatever happened by resorting to the bullshit "guys today are too soft" argument and Jericho repeating what he said in his own way, with occasional references to his past.

New Day was *censored*ing great on TIJ. I didn't think the New Day was the greatest name ever when their vignettes started airing...but I always liked it better than the "Smart, Athletic Friends." And I appreciate it way more after hearing they could've been "Fresh Coat of Paint", "KBX", "House of Light" or "H.O.P.E. (House of Positive Energy)." :lol:

Not WWE, but has anyone heard Truth Martini on the Art of Wrestling podcast this week? It's probably the craziest story I've heard since Cliff Compton went to Nigeria, you guys should check it out. :lol:

The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods) recently stopped by “Talk Is Jericho” to discuss their origins with podcast host, Chris Jericho.

The New Day are arguably the breakout stars of 2015, but the road to their success did not come easy, with poor creative decisions and bad booking halting their progress.

The idea came from Woods after Big E, Kingston, and himself were constantly on WWE television losing to Rusev. So the three men started going to Vince McMahon on a weekly basis for three months with different iterations for what we now know of as New Day.

The trio even went as far as to record their own vignettes as The Problem Solvers, which was a more comical version of The APA (JBL and Ron Simmons). They showed the vignettes to McMahon, who chuckled, but didn’t commit to anything.

A few weeks later, McMahon approached the trio and told them he has an idea for them, which involved turning them into wrestling preachers.

The New Day discussed their original entrance music and compared it to 1940’s gospel music. They also mentioned the names pitched to them by McMahon and the creative team that included Fresh Coat of Pain, KBX (Kofi, Big, Xavier), House of Light, and House of Positive Energy (H.O.P.E.).

After hearing names pitched and the original music, they gave creative some updated Gospel music that included Kirk Franklin. This is where the inspiration for their current music titled “New Day” originated (which is where the name of the group came from as well).

Also discussed were various topics such as Big E thanking CM Punk for keeping him on the main roster, Kingston’s feud with Randy Orton and their table spot at Madison Square Garden, and Woods coming up with the now famous New Day clap.

You can find “Talk Is Jericho” on Podcast One.

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/the-new-day-discuss-the-origins-of-their-group-with-chris-jericho/38389/

That New Day podcast was amazing, haha. I honestly don't remember enjoying one as much as that one.

Are any of you guys involved in any podcasts? I do one with a friend; done about 7 episodes and it's a lot of fun! Obviously, there are a lot of wrestling podcasts from legends and places like PW Torch and that so it's not gonna' have a tonne of people listening but we've had a fair amount. Check it out if any of you have the time; doing a lot of historical what-if kinda' stuff too as well as thoughts and opinions.

That New Day podcast was amazing, haha. I honestly don't remember enjoying one as much as that one.

Are any of you guys involved in any podcasts? I do one with a friend; done about 7 episodes and it's a lot of fun! Obviously, there are a lot of wrestling podcasts from legends and places like PW Torch and that so it's not gonna' have a tonne of people listening but we've had a fair amount. Check it out if any of you have the time; doing a lot of historical what-if kinda' stuff too as well as thoughts and opinions.

I would love to do a podcast tbh. Either a wrestling or Game of Thrones one.

Listened to the Paranormal Dean Ambrose episode of Talk is Jericho yesterday. Some good conversation between them both. Ambrose talks about a hotel he stayed in over in in Bournemouth and I know exactly what place he means.

- Above is a clip from WWE Hall of Famer Hacksaw Jim Duggans recent appearance on The Last Round podcast. Duggan talked about Brock Lesnar and The Steiner Brothers being unsafe in the ring. His exchange with one of the hosts went like this:

Duggan: You know the guy (presumably The Undertaker), he does a lot of high risk moves for an older man, out there taking working with Brock Lesnar is dangerous anyway because Brock doesnt seem to care about his partner. Its easy to hurt people though. If I give you my body, then you gotta take care of me. Some guys dont give a darn and Brock doesnt give a darn, hell just throw people around. Steiners used to be like that.

Host: I think the politically correct way to say it is, they dont know their own strengths

Duggan: No, no, no they take advantage of people. They take advantage of people. When you get another hardnose out there they seem to loosen up really quick.

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wwe-hall-of-famer-shoots-on-brock-lesnar/

I would love to do a podcast tbh. Either a wrestling or Game of Thrones one.

Listened to the Paranormal Dean Ambrose episode of Talk is Jericho yesterday. Some good conversation between them both. Ambrose talks about a hotel he stayed in over in in Bournemouth and I know exactly what place he means.

Well, we wanna have some other fans on as guests and stuff, so anyone is welcome!

The legendary Four Horsemen remain the only wrestling faction in WWE history to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, with “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, James J. Dillon, Arn Anderson, and Barry Windham all receiving rings.

What would a Four Horsemen group look like in 2015, though?

Flair, who hosts the “WOOO! Nation” podcast, revealed on the latest episode who he’d like to see join a potential faction.

“Randy Orton is the best worker in the business,” Flair said. “I’ve been on record saying that, but he’s the best performer in the business. He’d be the No. 1 guy.”

“I think he’d have a level of comfort with….I think he’d like [Dolph] Ziggler. Ziggler can work. He’s smaller than Randy, but he’s a hell of a hand.”

“I really like Seth Rollins,” Flair adds.

“You know who would be great in that fourth spot because he’s kind of obnoxious? The Miz.”

Flair then says that WWE would never put Orton in such a group because he’s too valuable as a singles competitor. The 16-time World Champion then replaced “The Viper” with Cesaro, who blew him away during his Triple Threat with Kevin Owens and Orton on “Monday Night Raw.”

To listen to the podcast in its entirety, click here.

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/ric-flair-reveals-who-he-would-book-in-modern-day-four-horsemen/39012/

Cesaro, Seth Rollins, The Miz and Dolph Ziggler. Stacked!!

The legendary Four Horsemen remain the only wrestling faction in WWE history to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, with “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, James J. Dillon, Arn Anderson, and Barry Windham all receiving rings.

Flair, who hosts the “WOOO! Nation” podcast, revealed on the latest episode who he’d like to see join a potential faction.

“Randy Orton is the best worker in the business,” Flair said. “I’ve been on record saying that, but he’s the best performer in the business. He’d be the No. 1 guy.”

“I think he’d have a level of comfort with….I think he’d like [Dolph] Ziggler. Ziggler can work. He’s smaller than Randy, but he’s a hell of a hand.”

“You know who would be great in that fourth spot because he’s kind of obnoxious? The Miz.”

Flair then says that WWE would never put Orton in such a group because he’s too valuable as a singles competitor. The 16-time World Champion then replaced “The Viper” with Cesaro, who blew him away during his Triple Threat with Kevin Owens and Orton on “Monday Night Raw.”

http://www.wrestlingrumors.net/ric-flair-reveals-who-he-would-book-in-modern-day-four-horsemen/39012/

Well...mostly.

Well...mostly.

yeah...Orton is kinda lame....

• 3 weeks later...

Stone Cold is not a fan of celebrities working matches in pro wrestling. And that's the bottom line.

On the latest "clean" edition of his podcast, The Steve Austin Show, the WWE Hall of Famer reviewed SummerSlam with frequent guest Wade Keller. And when they got to the match where Stardust & King Barrett faced Neville & actor Stephen Amell, the Texas Rattlesnake didn't mince words.

I just don't like the celebrities coming in there, the squared circle, and being able to compete at any level with the guys in the business [pro wrestling]. You've got to protect some integrity of the business. I don't care what day and age, what year it is.

Though not against having celebrities involved in the show, Austin compared it to a wrestler having a cameo in a movie. Amell's work at the pay-per-view (PPV) would have been like him getting a bigger role than Sylvester Stallone in The Expendables, he seemed to be saying.

It was what it was, but I just got a hard time seeing that kid come off with that crossbody on the top rope on two WWE guys down there.

None of which was helped by Michael Cole describing the loss as "embarrassing" for Stardust & Barrett. Stone Cold agrees with the assessment, but not in the kayfabe way the announcer used:

So was it embarrassing? You're damn right it was, but for the wrong reasons and the reasons [were] bad booking. It was for a shoot embarrassing to those guys to have to go out there and do that with the actor guy involved, but that's on a shoot level, so it was an embarrassment to the booking and I felt bad for those guys because they were in that role.

The six-time WWE world champ has bristled against the Vince McMahon's modern day presentation of the form in the past, arguing for looser control of promos and arguing with the Chairman publicly about "pro wrestler" vs. "sports entertainer".

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/9/4/9261435/stone-cold-steve-austin-embarrassed-by-stephen-amell-match-wwe-summerslam

Archived