Independent Horror

Beardd

Anybody on here into horror that doesn't appear in mainstream cinema? You know, the stuff that is actually good. Where It Follows came from, actually...

Last year was great fun:

Dead Snow 2: Fantastic tribute to Evil Dead and a super fun movie in general.

Zombeavers: For a movie with such a silly premise, they play it rather smart. Still best enjoyed with a 24-pack of beer.

What We Do In The Shadows: Hilarious.

Girlhouse: A sexy and violent modern slasher that doesn't exactly add anything to the genre except for sheer entertainment

Let Us Prey: So 80's. So cool.

Other noteworthy mentions: The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Houses that October Built, and Wyrmwood

But we also got smart and intelligent horror for those who can't stand the stupid fun:

Housebound: Silly, but brilliantly clever.

Honeymoon: Great slow-burn with a cool twist

Late Phases: Both a character study and a tale of bloodthirsty werewolves

The Babadook: I'm sure you've already heard

Spring: A horrifying love-story

Starry Eyes: Amazing.

A Girl Walks Alone At Night: Modern, yet so retro

I'm not here to debate over whether these are all good or not. I enjoyed every single one mentioned and that won't change haha. The question is:

Have you saw any? Do you watch/collect independent horror? Any personal favorites?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched a lot of them, but I did see Dead Snow 2. That was a fun movie.

Also, I'm blanking on what they're called right now, but I saw a bunch of a Found-Footage films to do with video tapes? Hard to describe, but yeah they were good.

Archived