FMW is coming back?

Credit: Puro Spirit

"Information is circling in Japan that FMW is coming back under the name or "Cho Sento (Super Battle) Pro-Wrestling FMW". Details about the promotion are scarce at this time with no mention of who may be affiliated and or competing on the shows.

All that has been announced are three shows in April that will be held as "pre-events" before they hold their first true event later that month. The events have been dubbed "FMW Revival Series vol.1" with the first show on 4/21 at the Hirosaki City Kasai Taiiku Center in Aomori, 4/22 at the Miyagino District Cultural Center, 4/23 at the Aizu-Wakamatsu Renaissance in Fukushima. Then their first true show is scheduled to take place on 4/27 at the Shinjuku FACE in Tokyo.

Atsushi Onita was a key figure of FMW in the past but as of yet his name has not been mentioned for this new project. Onita of course is currently focused on his own branded promotion under Cho Hanabi (Super Fireworks). If this will be a whole new venture or a rebirth of the old promotion is unclear, but I'll be sure to keep you all updated if and when any new information is released."

Oh god, please let this be true! The wrestling world needs something different like this. Death matches should make a come back, and I'm not talking about hitting each other over the head with light tubes. Give me explosives, cactuses, scorpions, and electrified swimming pools. I loved FMW.

It could be a neat little nostalgia trip if they did it correctly but there's a part of me that feels like there's nothing they could really bring to the table right now. I haven't looked at specific people but I would assume that most of the top guys are either retired, or on the tail end of their careers, and as over the top as some of their deathmatches were, I'm not sure if those things would work today. My imagination running wild hopes that something happens though. I'd love to see Hayabusa introduce a protege to carry on the Hayabusa legacy, and if Hayabusa is someday able to wrestle one final match, I can't think of a place more fitting than FMW.

They would definitely need a completely new roster. I think it'd be a hit though. Japanese fans seem to be dying for more over-the-top, wild wrestling. Look at how popular DDT has gotten. And as far as I know, Big Japan still draws decent crowds. I've even noticed that NJPW has gotten slightly more cartoonish lately, so I think there's a demand for that kind of thing. I know there's a difference between ultra violent, death match wrestling and goofy, comedy-centric wrestling. But my point is that Japan seems to be losing interest in the more realistic, MMA influenced style of wrestling.

I'm all for it, never been a big fan of deathmatch stuff, but if it draws then I don't see a problem with it, and as long as the guys and girls are tested on a regular basis for diseases like HIV and Hepatitis, and not clean chair shots to the head, if they can get their hands up then fine.

And hopefully nobody will go in debt to the Yakuza this time.

Archived