Book Discussion

Generations

Well, I don't know why we don't already have something like this...but we have topics for movies and music. So...how about discussing what we're reading? I think this will serve as a helpful resource for people who don't necessarily know what they want to read, as well as allowing those who are currently reading something to discuss what they do and do not like, etc.

---

Currently, I'm reading a science/biology book called "The Ghosts of Evolution". It basically discusses the link between varieties of produce and the creatures that once ate said produce, but no longer exist...for example, things like the avocado and mango have huge pits because they were meant to be swallowed whole by creatures like giant sloths...which would then drop the pits elsewhere when they...uh...did their business.

of39yq.jpg

I just started the book, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Always good to learn new things...and sometimes it's even better to rethink things you already did know. I'll post more of my thoughts about the book as I read further, but I would definitely recommend it for people who are interested in natural science.

I didn't read all my life and now I'm just getting into reading some books and hopefully expanding my knowledge on the subject further. The same with Movies actually, I'm starting to get into them too.

Anyway here is what I'm reading:

• Morrissey - Autobiography. It's somewhat of a hard read, it's written in continuous prose and the vocabulary is expansive, however I'm enjoying it.
  • 1984 - George Orwell.
  • Russell Brand - REVOLUTION.

I used to read a lot in my younger days, Goosebumps n Roahl Dahl. I've been reading Oliver Bowden's Assassins Creed novels. Currently reading Black Flag and got The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Unity next.

I also collect the Guiness World Record books, and my favourite book at the moment in The Old Republic: Revan. Trying to get back into reading properly but I'm more a media buff now

Started reading J.G. Ballard's 'The Drowned World'...in addition to the book that I mentioned in the original post. I do that a lot...(read multiple things at once). So far, I'm enjoying it...although, I'm only on chapter 3. But, basically, it's about the consequences of man and the post-apocalyptic world that comes to fruition as a result of said consequences. The setting is a lot like that of 'The Last of Us'. It wouldn't surprise me if the game had pulled some themes from this book, actually. All of the major cities are flooded and there is tropical vegetation growing on all of the buildings. The book takes place in London, though...not the US.

Interestingly enough, I've always thought the future of our planet could look a lot like this book suggests, and I was even reading an article earlier today (from BBC) about the possibility of micro-bacterial "superbugs" surpassing cancer as the leading cause of death in 2050, which is a theme that is present in this book as well (written in 1962 and set in 2145)...after the majority of the world's population has succumb to rising temperatures, water levels, and bacterial infections. The survivors require heavy doses on antibiotics daily to survive.

Anyway, the book is making me think more about things that we all ought to be thinking more about.

Anyone reads Star Wars Expanded Universe?

I read some of them but I couldn't get into them a whole heck of a lot. They just never really entertained me. Even the comics never got me to invested save for the Clone Wars and Crimson Empire ones.

I guess nobody around here reads...

Now reading 'Wicked River: The Mississippi When it Last Ran Wild'. All about the Mississippi river in the early 1800's.

I always have a book in hand. Mainly Fantasy.

I've just finished The World of Ice and Fire. Great insight into the I&F/Game of Thrones world.

I read some of them but I couldn't get into them a whole heck of a lot. They just never really entertained me. Even the comics never got me to invested save for the Clone Wars and Crimson Empire ones.

Which ones have you read? I liked the Thrawn and Hand of Thrawn trilogies, along with Survivor Quest. Most just felt... too tryhard and stuff.

Which ones have you read? I liked the Thrawn and Hand of Thrawn trilogies, along with Survivor Quest. Most just felt... too tryhard and stuff.

I read the Darth Plageus one, some of the Bane ones, and most of what I read was the Legacy of the Force series.

I work at a library so I do read when I have time. And I've checked out main copies of the Game of Thrones audiobooks to patrons. Those things are like up to 30 CDs. But I'm currently reading the latest Jack Reacher book "Personal" by Lee Child. But I just finish reading "Hope to Die" by James Patterson. And before that, "Glow" by Rick James.

The Jack Reacher series is supposed to be really good. A couple of my family members are big into them.

They are. Don't judge the books on the Jack Reacher movie. I didn't get into the series until about 5 years ago and so far I've been quite pleased with each book that I've read.

And Ziggy, I haven't read The Crow in years. I just ordered Y:The Last Man for the same reason. Anybody else have any graphic novels to recommend reading?

Started reading this again:

yd2ECbj.jpg

The films are great and all, but they missed out a lot during the key parts (especially in the latter films), so I'm starting from 5 and going through to 7. Then I'll probably start from the beginning since I never get tired of TPS or TCoS.

Plus my favourite characters (Bellatrix, Voldemort, Snape and Dumbledore) all showcase their power and ability much better in the books, which is something I didn't really get from the majority of the films (especially for Bella).

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest fan of the books and the films, as well as the series itself, but I agree. I don't know how they managed to miss so many big, key moments out in the latter films. The whole Voldemort/Dumbledore duel from the OoTP was completely different (not exaggerating). The end of book six had a battle between Aurors and Death Eaters when Dumbledore is killed, whereas the film totally missed that out. The seventh had Voldemort and Bellatrix facing off against three opponents at once and still having the upper hand, which is badass. Whereas the film focused solely on Bellatrix vs Molly (that was terribly done in the film) and Voldemort vs Harry (which wasn't too bad, but again, nothing like the book).

One of the biggest issues I had though, was that a lot of the background/character development was left out of the films. I thought of myself as quite knowledgeable about the series on the whole, but it wasn't until I started reading the books again properly, that I truly learnt a lot about who all these people were. It was fine for the first... two (?) films because that focused a lot on character development and was very similar to the books. After that, the characters were just introduced briefly, and left it at that (even big characters like Bellatrix, Lupin and Barty Crouch Jr). They didn't even really hint at one of the biggest things about the whole series (the fact that Voldemort was terrified of Dumbledore), and unless you'd read the books, you wouldn't really know that, nor would you know why. The only character they truly built up well in the later films was Snape, and that's only because they had to because it was vital to the story.

One of my main gripes with the films isn't a big thing, it's just the way and what they have Neville to say. "You and whose army!?!?!" During the battle. I don't remember specifically if he says that in the book, but it was so cringe worthy as were most of his lines.

But yeah I agree with your points. They fact that they skipped the Auror/Death Eater fight after Dumbledores death. In fact they missed a real opportunity with The Aurors. They should have been focussed on more (im the movies) considering Harry becomes one in his adult life. They could have atleast hinted at it.

This isnt a movie discussion so back on topic lol.

33kt2lj.jpg

Info taken from Amazon:

Battle Royale meets Return of the Living Dead in this post-apocalyptic action adventure.

Twenty people wake to find themselves in a boarded-up building in the middle of the zombie wasteland. They soon discover they have been chosen as contestants on a popular reality show calledZombie Survival. Each contestant is given a backpack of supplies and a unique weapon. Their goal: be the first to make it through the zombie-plagued city to the pick-up zone alive. But because there's only one seat available on the helicopter, the contestants not only have to fight against the hordes of the living dead, they must also fight each other.

Zombies and Shit is Mellick's craziest book to date. A campy, trashy, punk rock gore fest that is as funny as it is brutal, as sad as it is strange. An edge-of-your-seat thrill ride that twists the zombie genre into something you've never seen before, but always wanted to.

I also cannot deal with how they left out Dumbledore's history in Deathly Hallows. I don't know if they visited Voldemort's history in Half-Blood Prince, nor do I really wanna find out. But Dumbledore's past was vital to Harry's growth as he realized the person he looked up to wasn't perfect or a saint, that he too had his own flaws.

But book-wise, my favorite is probably Goblet of Fire. I think the seventh book was the bottom three in terms of me liking it. Also noticed the difference in tone/mood when I went from reading the last book to the first book. Went from dark and adult-y to more focused on kids.

Archived