Suicide squad

Rubbersoul

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm, white suites are a lot less "hipster" than purple ones. Just saying. That does not fit him at all though. My eyes have cancer from seeing that suit in combination with that Joker. Ewwww

Someone who wears a purple suit is just being a clown. Seriously, how many purple suits have you ever seen in your life? On the other hand, someone who wears a white suit is trying to look olde-timey, which is exactly what most hipsters tend to do.

This is self-referencial hipster meta bullshit, he's the Abed of Jokers (and not in a good way). He looks like a character that could only ever be designed by someone who knows who the joker is, as if The Joker had seen and read everything we all had - then decided on a look - a character is suppose to function within the universe - not within our universe, and right now, with all the tattoos and references to the character itself, he just comes off as fan-service for the sake of fan-service.

This is the worst design of any character in any superhero movie ever.

This is self-referencial hipster meta bullshit, he's the Abed of Jokers (and not in a good way). He looks like a character that could only ever be designed by someone who knows who the joker is, as if The Joker had seen and read everything we all had - then decided on a look - a character is suppose to function within the universe - not within our universe, and right now, with all the tattoos and references to the character itself, he just comes off as fan-service for the sake of fan-service.

What if they make the movie into something very self-aware, in a modern world? Isn't it a bit inappropiate to critice a character's synergy with the universe he's in without knowing how the universe he's in is going to look?

What if they make the movie into something very self-aware, in a modern world? Isn't it a bit inappropiate to critice a character's synergy with the universe he's in without knowing how the universe he's in is going to look?

I honestly think it's even more innapropriate to assume that the universe will be like that - considering it'll eventually tie in with Batman vs Superman - a universe we've already seen.

I honestly think it's even more innapropriate to assume that the universe will be like that - considering it'll eventually tie in with Batman vs Superman - a universe we've already seen.

Fair point.

Leto is a fantastic actor. I'll wait before I judge his Joker, even with the design we've seen. People were hating on Heath Ledger when he was cast too.

Really? Even after the first promo pics? Cause I was pretty sceptical of him as a cast but once I saw him, I thought that was awesome.

Leto is a fantastic actor. I'll wait before I judge his Joker, even with the design we've seen. People were hating on Heath Ledger when he was cast too.

Really? Even after the first promo pics? Cause I was pretty sceptical of him as a cast but once I saw him, I thought that was awesome.

People CRUCIFIED Ledger when he was cast as Joker. It's kinda become a thing now.

Edit: here's some examples.

UpQcyGW.jpg

I get why people don't like Leto's Joker look, but given Ledger and Nicholson's performances as Joker surely it's understandable that they'd want a brand new look for Leto so he's not instantly compared to those two incredible roles.

Its the Joker, hes going to be compared no matter what.

People CRUCIFIED Ledger when he was cast as Joker. It's kinda become a thing now.

Edit: here's some examples.

UpQcyGW.jpg

They aren't criticizing the costume they are criticizing the actor choice and lets be honest up to that point they had right to worry Ledger wasn't anything too special.

Personally I don't think the Joker should exist in a universe where Batman isn't going to be there. They are Yin and Yang. Joker exists because of Batman.

^ Jesus, wow. I knew people didn't like it at first but I didn't know it was that negative. Aw well.

To wrap this whole topic up for me: I am rather positive about this. For several reasons. For one, Leto is a cool actor. I think he can make a lot of different styles of Joker work. I think it was Generations who said this is different for the sake of being different. I think that's entirely possible, but I don't have the same negative expectations about it. I think it's good to find a new way of presenting Joker after Nichelson and Ledger have pretty much 100% nailed the comic, gangster type of Joker and the brooding, realistic one. It'd most likely just be disappointing to see these versions without these actors being cast. I really don't like the "Damaged" and the J teardrop tattoo. Personally, I find them to be too edgy teenager-esque. The other tattoos, I think they are pretty cool. A.) They just look cool to me, which I understand is obviously just a matter of taste, but I myself like them and B.) I think they are fitting. Joker is pretty self-centered apart from his obsession with Batman. I would almost draw parallels to how Hannibal Lector doesn't care about pretty much anyone except Will Graham. And if you think about it, Joker can be pretty vain from time to time. So in that regard, I find it fitting that he'd get tattoos of himself. The only thing I believe would've been better is if he got some tattoos of Batman too, considering how obsessed he is with him.

I still hope the "Damaged" text is being forced onto him. Like, an officially evaluated status to warn the other hired heros/villains of his remaining danger, even while being operating as a part of the Suicide Squad. If he didn't get it forced onto him, I hope it's just sarcastically, in the same way he tricked Harley Quinn back when she was his psychatrist. I think either option would work well for the Joker. The teeth are pretty understandable too, I think. He got punched into the face so much and had so much violence inflicted upon him, he'll eventually need sturdy replacements. The Steampunk meets Marilyn Manson vibe is an unfortunate end result though, I suppose.

I think I might be more open to liking it because I generally like the asthetic/fashion style he has. Or maybe it's 'cause I am just fed up and over the whole "Wow, how hipster" arguments. Honestly, you can't not be a hipster these days, it seems. If you dress "conventionally" hipsert like, you are a hipster. If you dress old-school, you're hipster. If you dress really average, you are trying too hard to not be categorized. I think people just throw that term at everything they personally don't approve off and want to downplay. I do it myself too, from time to time, can't help it, but yeah... Overall I'm still pretty excited. I don't like the white suit at all though. Lunchbox linked the cover of Joker with the white suit, but I think it looks crappy in real life. Just not really my style, I can't help but imagine him serving shrimps on a cruise ship. :lol:

^I pretty much agree with that Lyriqz. I like the tattoos, the only one I was iffy on was "Damaged" but assuming that Harley Quinn's look will be going in a similar direction, I see that tattoo as Harley's "evaluation" of him.

The white suit won't look good for this particular Joker IMO. It would've suited Jack Nicholson's Joker but not this one. I said before that I think he'd just suit pants and a wifebeater, one of which being purple. If they're going to go with such a different look for him then they need to go all the way and scrap the suit, it won't work.

Also...Andy LaPlegua from Combichrist, I knew this look reminded me of somebody.

Archived