An explanation for the 'scrapped modes' that makes sense

Shogun

I've already posted this in another topic but it seems that everybody is too worked up on the 'loss' of Create An Arena, Create A CAW (Diva), Create A Belt and Create An Entrance (Advanced). No one will listen to an explanation but hopefully this topic will open some eyes, I'm no game developer but I want you to hear me out;

It isn't as simple as porting over the entirety of WWE 2K14, upgrading its visuals and working from there. They're working with an entirely new engine with a smaller ring which (believe it or not) is also big deal and with a new engine means that the majority of things must be made from scratch since animations are tied to the larger (THQ) ring. Not including animations but the models for all of the CAA templates also had to be made all over again to compliment the new engine and ring size, it isn't as easy as porting over the same CAA models into current-gen. if they did so, animations would have major clipping issues and I guarantee the visuals wouldn't look right either. Heck, they didn't even bring in additional CAA templates last year which shows why it isn't so easy even last-gen.

(Feature wise) To be able to create CAA, CAB, Story Designer, Showcase Mode, MyCareer, new engine, new wrestler models, Superstar Studio, Custom Music (a feature that didn't exist during development), Logo uploading, an advanced Create an Entrance (also needing an overhaul because of the ring size) mostly all from scratch in only a one year development cycle would have been impossible and I didn't even include all of the gameplay tweaks and additions.

Someone said that they've worked on this engine since they acquired THQ's license roughly a year and a half ago, that still isn't enough time. My basis for this fact is FOX Engine, which began development in 2009 and only managed to release its first game (PES 14) last year. Unreal Engine 4 began development in 2011 and had a stability release this year. I understand that those engines are meant for other games to use but you get the picture that a new engine isn't created in a year and half.

What people are basically asking for is a port where everything would be based on WWE 2K15 with the same features, the problem with ports is they barely utilize the new hardware. Why would you want continuous ports with the same features if the entire gaming experience is going to be limited? If they did port the game it would still have to upgrade completely to the new engine eventually so a port would stunt this game's development greatly. We want these games to improve and push the hardware's limit, don't we? And the only way to do that is to rebuild from the beginning accordingly with the current-gen.

Like someone already said, they never scrapped these game modes because they were never there in the first place since it's a whole new engine. The game needs time as with most yearly released games on new hardware. Next year there will be massive improvements just like NBA 2K14 (a shell compared to last-gen 14, much like this) compared to this year's 2K15. It's unreasonable to believe these games won't improve after its first release.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am understanding about everything, but not Create a Diva. That should have been towards the top of their priorities and it's ridiculous that we can not create females in this game. They should have made time for that. What was the delay for? Why not just delay it again? And why the hell did they wait a WEEK to tell everyone about this bullshit? That's just scumbag marketing keeping secrets like that. Saying that they thought they were going to be able to include modes until today so this is when they announce it is bull....shit....

I am understanding about everything, but not Created a Diva. That should have been towards the top of their priorities and it's ridiculous that we can not create females in this game. They should have made time for that. What was the delay for? Why not just delay it again? And why the hell did they wait a WEEK to tell everyone about this bullshit? That's just scumbag marketing keeping secrets like that. Saying that they thought they were going to be able to include modes until today so this is when they announce it is bull....shit....

+1.

Pushing forward when it exludes half the population isn't a very good step forward.

What? Are you talking about the no diva mode?

Diva fans and creators take up a fraction of the entire consumerbase. It's not 50/50.

Create a Diva is only "A MUST HAVE MODE" if you give 2 shits about the Divas division, which I'm waging that more people don't than do. 2k realise this and don't include it.

Female soccer exists, but we don't have their leagues in FIFA - no one cares except fans of female soccer, and they're a fraction of the fanbase.. UFC included females in the roster but didn't allow creation, didn't see people tossing shit and salad everywhere - cause no one really seems to care compared to the male side of things.

Create-A-Diva was never a "must have" mode.. The Divas division isn't even 15 people ingame, I see why they decided to scrap a mode that's only useful for a fraction of the roster, as we can't have cross-gender matches anymore.

Of course they'll improve over time. They 2k blog post "The primary reason we did not announce these changes earlier is due to the team working until the last minute to retain as many features as possible." means they were in the works but they were pushed to release it before they were really ready. The "further iterations" is already in the works with all those features being included plus more since they're ahead of schedule.

I am understanding about everything, but not Created a Diva. That should have been towards the top of their priorities and it's ridiculous that we can not create females in this game. They should have made time for that. What was the delay for? Why not just delay it again? And why the hell did they wait a WEEK to tell everyone about this bullshit? That's just scumbag marketing keeping secrets like that. Saying that they thought they were going to be able to include modes until today so this is when they announce it is bull....shit....

That's not a serious question, is it?

And lolno, creating divas should not have been towards the top of their priorities.

Of course they'll improve over time. They 2k blog post "The primary reason we did not announce these changes earlier is due to the team working until the last minute to retain as many features as possible." means they were in the works but they were pushed to release it before they were really ready. The "further iterations" is already in the works with all those features being included plus more since they're ahead of schedule.

I know but it I saw a lot of posts by people who thought they wouldn't upgrade the 25 CAW slots as well as thinking some modes were scrapped for good.

Pushing forward when it exludes half the population isn't a very good step forward.

The purpose of half-assing last-gen 2K15 was to give people the incentive to upgrade. If they went full blown on last-gen then there would be very little reason to upgrade which is a step backwards.

they can spout all the same excuses all they want, its the fact they chose 1 week from today that's 7, SEVEN days from now to drop that wee ditty on us well after we've pre ordered the damn game

that is what pisses me off

That has to do with your expections of what you think "has to be in the game" compared to what 2k are doing.

They're not continuing THQ's series, they're starting their own.

None of anything THQ had ingame was ever a given.

People don't seem to want to realize that. It's not a brand new engine, parts of it are new, but it's pretty damn clear that its foundation is the same

No. it is a brand new engine built based off the old one, The same way Dark Souls 2 and Skyrim did it. The old engine was so heavily modified and so damn old, trying to strengthen it further could've caused a damn temporal flux, and I am NOT getting caught in a black hole for eternity so that 2K can skim a bit of work off their lineup.

People don't seem to want to realize that. It's not a brand new engine, parts of it are new, but it's pretty damn clear that its foundation is the same

Doesn't take away from the fact that mostly everything must be rebuilt. Something people don't actually seem to realize.

Basically: why were the features removed from last gen? Because we couldn't have them in current gen and they wanted the only polarization between games to be graphics and my career.

I guess the real question is, why the delay? Marketing? Hmm...

its still the same engine apart from a couple of additions

Correction: It's a new engine based upon the old one.

so a modified old one

Nope. The old one no longer exists. Instead they built a new one based upon the old one. Kinda like how new cars are based upon old ones. This new one will have a lot less of the glitches we've come to know & hate over the years.

Basically: why were the features removed from last gen? Because we couldn't have them in current gen and they wanted the only polarization between games to be graphics and my career.

I guess the real question is, why the delay? Marketing? Hmm...

They already said they delayed in the hopes of getting a bit extra time to include what they could, but unfortunately they weren't able to get anything concrete enough.

As for last gen, I think I can answer that, and this is where I do see a bit of scumbagness in 2K. they likely did it in the hopes that it would drive last gen players to new gen.

No. it is a brand new engine built based off the old one, The same way Dark Souls 2 and Skyrim did it. The old engine was so heavily modified and so damn old, trying to strengthen it further could've caused a damn temporal flux, and I am NOT getting caught in a black hole for eternity so that 2K can skim a bit of work off their lineup.

That analogy was awesome. :lol:

People are saying that the caw diva thing being removed is only for the "Diva Fans" but my gf plays WWE Games, she likes to create herself and a bunch of other divas and play through universe mode. How would you all react if 2K said that there will be no male caw only diva caws?

It's not just about diva fans it's also about female players of WWE Games who now can't create themselves

People are saying that the caw diva thing being removed is only for the "Diva Fans" but my gf plays WWE Games, she likes to create herself and a bunch of other divas and play through universe mode. How would you all react if 2K said that there will be no male caw only diva caws?

It's not just about diva fans it's also about female players of WWE Games who now can't create themselves

There's that word again..

Archived