Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Well, A New Hope was low budget, compared to its sequels. Fox executives and even the cast expected it to be one of those corny b-movies, so they didn't have much faith in it. Except Alec Guinness. He hated it, but knew it'd be successful, so he asked for 2% of the gross.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already looking forward to VIII. Rian Johnson's films are incredible.

Director Rian Johnson has worked with cinematographer Steve Yedlin on three features: Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Looper. Now, Yedlin is making the jump to lightspeed with Johnson: he’ll serve as the Star Wars: Episode VIII cinematographer.

Variety reported the detail quite a while back, but it was a small piece buried in an article with an unassuming headline. Making Star Wars noticed it this week. (Daniel Mindel shot The Force Awakens.)

We know next to nothing about Episode VIII other than the fact that Rian Johnson is writing and directing, and that several characters from The Force Awakens such as Rey, Finn, and Poe Dameron will continue their stories.

The official blurb on Star Wars Episode VIII, from the official site, goes like this:

Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce, and J.J. Abrams will serve as executive producer.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-viii-cinematographer/

I liked the set photos, but kind of wondering why we're not seeing any classic alien species. Like maybe they're just trying to show new species in these promo shots, but I expected to see a Rodian, Twi'lek, or even a Hammerhead or Snaggletooth or something.

I like Adam Driver. Solid actor and was stoked when I heard he was in the film.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

He just looks like a pissy little kid. Which works for villains...(just look at the kid from Game of Thrones). But, yeah...he isn't intimidating anymore. Dude started out with that crazy lightsaber "sword" dealy, the mask/helmet, etc. Now he looks like a kid.

He just looks like a pissy little kid. Which works for villains...(just look at the kid from Game of Thrones). But, yeah...he isn't intimidating anymore. Dude started out with that crazy lightsaber "sword" dealy, the mask/helmet, etc. Now he looks like a kid.

And that's most certainly by design. He's likely a rookie villain. Perhaps he's a relation to an existing character. We'll have to find out.

Kylo Ren unmasked:

n6rfko.jpg

I always loved snowtroopers, but it must be impossible to see in those helmets.

Actually, that design would lend itself quite well to seeing in a snow-covered environment. The thin band for looking through would limit snow-blindness.

• 2 months later...

Comic Con panel was pretty cool. Fun to see the cast all together as well as the originals (including Peter Mayhew in the audience.) Reall glad Gwendoline Christie's character isn't called Captain Plasma like I thought it was. :lol: Phasma sounds much better.

Really cool to see the Bobbajo creature puppet coming onto the stage as an example of what they're using on set. Really really can't wait for this movie.

• 1 month later...

“Jurassic World” helmer Colin Trevorrow has been confirmed as the director of “Star Wars: Episode IX,” it was announced at D23 Expo in Anaheim.

Trevorrow shepherded “Jurassic World” to becoming the third highest-grossing movie ever, knocking Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” from that spot.

“Colin is someone I’ve been interested in working with ever since I saw ‘Safety Not Guaranteed,’” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “The power of that film paired with the enormous success of ‘Jurassic World’ speaks volumes about his abilities both as a storyteller and skilled filmmaker. We are thrilled to have such an incredible talent as Colin join our family and step into the Star Wars universe.”

Trevorrow added, “This is not a job or an assignment. It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all had — a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”

As previously announced, Rian Johnson is directing “Star Wars: Episode VIII.” Johnson is known for his work on “Looper” and “The Brothers Bloom.” The film is scheduled for for release on May 26, 2017.

Heroic Hollywood first reported news of Trevorrow’s involvement.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-episode-9-colin-trevorrow-1201571003/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at first the whole "The Force is strong in my family" thing combined with Finn holding a lightsaber, confused the hell out of me. But I suppose Luke wasn't necessarily talking to a family member when he said "you have that power too". Ah, yes, now I finally get it.

• 1 month later...

The character names in this movie... Rey, Finn, Captain Phasma... They're horrible.

Rey and Finn aren't really any different than Luke or Ben.

Captain Phasma is quite goofy, but it's also pretty cool. Better than when a lot people thought it was Captain Plasma.

The character names in this movie... Rey, Finn, Captain Phasma... They're horrible.

Captain Phasma is quite goofy, but it's also pretty cool. Better than when a lot people thought it was Captain Plasma.

Luke and Ben are real life names. Finn in particular is a bad merman name.

Finn is an Irish name. Ireland is real isnt it?

My point isn't that Luke or Ben are shit names, my point is that they're normal names and Rey and Finn aren't totally dissimilar.

Would you prefer Anakin, Qui-Gon, Mace and Padme

Archived