Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only seen Last Jedi once, but I think the Rey/Luke/Kylo plot line had some of the best stuff I've seen in a Stars War movie; I really found myself enjoying that portion. It's too bad everything else isn't so great.

Gotta agree. I really enjoyed that stuff, I loved learning new things about the Force.

I've only seen Last Jedi once, but I think the Rey/Luke/Kylo plot line had some of the best stuff I've seen in a Stars War movie; I really found myself enjoying that portion. It's too bad everything else isn't so great.

That's how I view it. The whole Jedi plotline with the Jedi characters is probably the best Star Wars has been since the original trilogy. The stuff with the supporting characters is a bit messy though. The stuff with Luke for me is a perfect though and I wouldn't change a thing. I felt they gave him a great send off.

Still should have gone with a book series instead, but I guess it'd have been a risk due to the actors' age in contrast to their characters.

could have just done without the old crew

how can you have Han, Leia, or Luke without Harrison, Carrie, or Mark?

But then again, I've not cared to read books that take place before Phantom Menace, so yeah. :\

Still should have gone with a book series instead, but I guess it'd have been a risk due to the actors' age in contrast to their characters.

I disagree. I don't see why that would have been a better idea than original scripts that offer a lot more freedom.

They can have freedom even if they use the books as their source, especially since Expanded Universe is not canon anymore.

You don't. And you don't need to...

Especially not if you're just going to kill them off (or in Leia's case not kill them off) for pure expectation subversion/shock value

Especially not if you're just going to kill them off (or in Leia's case not kill them off) for pure expectation subversion/shock value

Which none of the new movies have done so far if that's what you're implying.

Uh, yes. Yes they have.

Force Awakens comes out...Han dies instead of Chewie

Finally met Luke Skywalker again? Carrie Fisher died irl?

Luke dies because Leia is Superman.

Uh, yes. Yes they have.

Han died in service to the plot. Plot being to cement Kylo's darkside. Luke died for the Force. The Force had failed him and he had failed the Force. He also died to help Rey. All deaths in fiction are for shock value at a base level. Doesn't mean they also can't mean something, which those two did. Leia somehow being Superman I have no argument for.

Also "instead of Chewie." Urm, what? Since when was it either Chewie or Han? Since when was it likely Chewie was gonna die? It was always obvious Han was. I'm fairly certain you could ask most people who was likely to die in TFA and they would say Han. Chewie is a good supporting character who can be used for physicality, like in fight scenes and flying the Falcon. You only need to use a stunt guy for that and not a highly paid actor. Lmao Chewie was never going to die mate.

'The Force Within' shouldn't be the answer though. The Force shouldn't be used as some deus ex machina to save characters from death for some reason that is never explained.

They did a lot of interesting things with the Force in TLJ, they did some cool new things with it, but kinda made it all cheap by having it save Leia from death ... somehow. It really takes away anything serious happening in the franchise because the Force can just sort everything and nobody ever has to worry. It's like putting a soft blanket under everything.

Uh, yes. Yes they have.

None of that was for expectation subversion/shock value though. All the deaths serve the story. Why would you expect Chewie to die? Han's death serves a purpose in the story, particularily Kylo Ren's arc. Leia doesn't die because they filmed all her scenes before Carrie died. Rian didn't want real life events to effect his script. The stupid Superman scene was filmed while she was still alive. Also Luke doesn't die because of Leia, what the hell are you even talking about? None of what you said is a strong argument against my point.

It was ridiculous but the explanation was apparently the force within. She was already dying and freezing up in space

It wasn't like she wasn't affected at all. Came back in and still needed medical attention

That explanation would make no sense and kinda create retcons because most Jedis and Siths could have saved themselves in this way, maybe. Dunno about wounds like blaster wounds or lightsabers though, but if it wasn't entirely fatal....

She recovered in a day or so though, far too quickly after being out in space for a while. And then to fly like that....

Kylo-Rey mind communication was kinda odd, but it's not unheard of, is it? Luke could communicate with Leia similarly too, and Leia had no idea she had the potential to use the Force. Rey and Kylo vs. the guards was a fun fight though.

I'm fine with the concept of the Leia thing. I like the idea of the force manifesting in various ways. That not all force users are capable of the same things. It's not a superpower, it's not a moveset. It's not gaining this many skill points to unlock new force ability. That's so video-gamey and bullshit. Instead the force can work in mysterious ways. I just think the way it was executed was questionable at best. It's undeniably a silly image.

Archived