#723 MikeM

MikeM

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 5,163 posts
  • Gamertag: DaShowstoppa24
  • SEN (PS3): (PSN) BigDaddyMM24

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Finally got Rogue One. Thought it was very good, although some of the "non Star Wars" cinematography felt a bit jarring, although labeling the planets was useful, it sort of lost the feel of being classic Star Wars. The new characters were really well written, and obviously as they didn't appear in the "original" trilogy we knew their fates - but it still felt powerful. The K droid was brilliant, his matter of fact and flippant replies were beautifully delivered.

Vader came off as badass plus. Even the "be careful not to choke on your aspirations, General" seemed like something Anakin would say. As for the corridor, wow. It does make his seeming lack of power in A New Hope a little backwards - but I can live with it.

#724 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:11 AM

One thing I really liked about Force Awakens that I hope they keep in Last Jedi is how young the First Order was. General Hux seems to be the guy running things and he doesn't look a day over 30. It's such a nice contrast between how the Empire was portrayed, mostly as old white British men. The First Order top three in command below Snoke are Hux, Kylo, and Phasma, all people younger than 40. Very youthful crew to leading an army. Some people on the bridge of the Star Destroyers look like teenagers in Force Awakens.

Why I think this is so genius is that it totally makes sense. I've heard people complain about this too, but I feel like they're missing the point. I get that in reality most military forces are run by older, more experienced people. But why the opposite works so well for the First Order is because they're basically emulating what they believe the Empire was. Of course they have no context about what the Empire was really like, they were never really alive for it. They never experienced how oppressive the rule of the Empire was. They can't contextualize how harmful it was. That's why they are susceptible to trying to recreate it.

They're essentially what America's alt right movement wished it was. They are only capable of fetishizing the Empire (Nazis) and their imagery because they have no historical knowledge of it. Meanwhile we see a contrast in the Resistance. It's leaders are portrayed as older; Leia having lived under the Empire's rule her entire life until she had a hand in defeating it; Admiral Ackbar having fought for the Republic and seeing it crumble into the Empire.

Snoke is the only guy seemingly old enough to have been around during the Galactic Civil War. So he manipulates the youth somehow. Convincing them the galaxy was better under the rule of Palpatine.

I'm so worried they're going to ruin this due to each film having its own screenwriters and directors.

#725 Faster Than Light

Faster Than Light

The True Enemy Of Humanity Is Disorder

• V.I.P
  • 16,479 posts
  • Gamertag: FTLightspeed

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

I think the First Order was well done too, but I don't think they should have had that Death Star 3.0 (aka The Starkiller base) there is no way that could have been built something on that scope without someone noticing and how they got the resources to build it anyways.

Edited by Faster Than Light, 13 August 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#726 Respect The Beard

Respect The Beard

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

It's a movie bro

#727 Creep.

Creep.

Big Red

• Members
  • 32,037 posts
  • SEN (PS3): CreepingHD
  • Twitter: CochiseJak

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

It's a movie bro

Not an excuse. Especially a movie with the depth of lore that Star Wars has.

#728 Respect The Beard

Respect The Beard

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Disagree.

I was responding to Faster than Light's comment about the Death Star 3.0. That thought didn't even cross my mind and I honestly don't think it did for many others. You can question the logic in every single movie/franchise. They all require suspending belief to an extent.

#729 Faster Than Light

Faster Than Light

• V.I.P
  • 16,479 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

It's a movie bro

Thank you for your intelligent and well-thought answer

Disagree.

I was responding to Faster than Light's comment about the Death Star 3.0. That thought didn't even cross my mind and I honestly don't think it did for many others. You can question the logic in every single movie/franchise. They all require suspending belief to an extent.

The Death Star 3.0 requires more suspending belief than it should. 

Edited by Faster Than Light, 13 August 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#730 Creep.

Creep.

Big Red

• Members
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Disagree.

Yes they do, but that doesn't mean you can't question the logistics and be critical of it. If it breaks someones immersion then who are you to just tell them to suck it up and accept it?

Edited by Creep., 13 August 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#731 Respect The Beard

Respect The Beard

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Never said that. I just rolled my eyes and said it's a movie. He can say whatever he wants lol.

Although it's kinda sad when people let a small thing like that ruin a film for them (I know it didn't for Ipse). I once met a dude who hated John Wick with a passion over it being over the death of a dog. He went on and on about it and criticized others for liking such a "stupid movie". Shit like that's lame.

Edited by Respect The Beard, 13 August 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#732 Kombatant

Kombatant

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

If I was an ex assassin with such skills as John Wick, I'd use it in revenge if someone killed my pooch too!

It wasn't even just about the dog's death anyway. The dog was a gift from his wife as she knew she was going to die and it was his love for her that made him retired in the first place and the dog was a symbol of love and peace to keep John company while he mourned her.

They brutally killed the dog, beat up John in his home, smashed his wife's car and stole his beloved car.

#733 Respect The Beard

Respect The Beard

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I know all that. This dude wasn't bright enough to get that though!

#734 Kombatant

Kombatant

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

As for starkiller base, I thought it was lame to do a 3rd Death Star but a planet itself being such a base was interesting to me and visually it was cool.

Not once did logic and resources crossed my mind. I just accepted it as it was presented and rolled with it

#735 Faster Than Light

Faster Than Light

• V.I.P
  • 16,479 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

Not once did logic and resources crossed my mind. I just accepted it as it was presented and rolled with it

I think it just varies person to person. When I first saw it, I immediately questioned "how".

#736 Creep.

Creep.

Big Red

• Members
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

I didn't question how whilst I was watching it, but the movie has been out for 2 years and discussion have been had. The Starkiller base was a bit immersion breaking, but I'm along for the ride.

An excuse I can came up with is that its been in manufacturing for a long time already, maybe part of The Empire's master plan of some sort as the First Order completed it. Idk, it works in my head.

Edited by Creep., 13 August 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#737 WNX

WNX

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • Gamertag: WebbanationX
  • SEN (PS3): WebbanationX

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

I think the First Order was well done too, but I don't think they should have had that Death Star 3.0 (aka The Starkiller base) there is no way that could have been built something on that scope without someone noticing and how they got the resources to build it anyways.

Starkiller Base was built using a planet in the Unknown Regions. where remnants of the Imperial Military eventually founded the First Order . It's not exactly in a populated area of space where everybody can just jump off their world in a ship and immediately see it. It's unexplored for the most part.

The Galactic Concordance, which dissolved the Empire, was signed about 5 years after the Battle of Yavin. TFA is roughly 30 years after that treaty, so you have all that time of these ex empire guys doing research and putting that plan into works. Between New Hope and Jedi was about 5 years and in that time they were well over halfway done with a second Death Star. They might not have used the whole 30, but even 20 or less years to gradually make something twice the size of the original with most of what they need to power it right there on the planet they're storing it is more than fair

#738 M3J

M3J

Official CAWs.ws Addict

• Members
  • 50,451 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

I'm still annoyed they didn't go with Expanded Universe. But then again, they'd likely have to replace the main characters unless they skip directly to 20+ years. And then people who watched the movies but never touched EU would be confused as to how Luke and Mara met, and possibly how

Spoiler