Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even to watch Maul big boi two Jedi Knights? I never get tired of watching that

Another wasted character, Maul's badass.

Old fluffy hair Luke having a duel. Could be this next one or episode 9 I don't think it's been in any trailers.

A cool new bounty hunter

Kylo Ren continuing being the best Star Wars villain

Who are the Knights of Ren?

probs something else.

I like Kylo Ren a lot. Greatest new Star Wars villain since the Emperor in Return of the Jedi for me. So I'm interested in seeing how killing his father has effected him as well as more insight to his relationship with Snoke. What kind of stress does Snoke put him under and how?

I'm personally curious as to why mastering the force has been a breeze for Rey so far.

It'd he nice to see more classic aliens. Like a Rodian or a Twi'lek, or an Ithorian or something. More things that bridge the gap in logical ways.

Some new John Williams music is nice.

Can't really think of a fifth thing.

I'm excited for it, but not any more excited than I am for any other movie I want to see. I'm nowhere near as excited as I was for Force Awakens. Now that they're annual it doesn't feel as big anymore.

Maybe I'm recalling it incorrectly but.the very.little that I saw of Maul in Clone Wars he seemed to come off very whiny. I have the series on my watch list but I'm afraid it might make me grow to dislike him especially if that's the case

Side question to any that know it. Has anyone branded a Lightwhip in visual format yet? I thought I read they existed way back then, then faded into obscurity due to lacking ease of use. And that reminds me, I haven't watched any LCC submissions lately. I can only assume they still do that yearly

1)Kylo Ren:training complete

2)Snoke: new or returning character?

3)Rey's visions. Was it past future and present, Was it really her during that Knights attack that Kylo ended.swiftly or someone else

4)I never really lliked Luke. He's a chump . I'd like him to do something not so chumpy

5)Let Phasma LOOSE! She was a chump too. Still pissed at TFA cause of that whole thing

I believe there's some Nightsisters that use lightwhips in The Clone Wars

nice, whatever the hell those are I'll look forward to it

Ehh they're from a very weird arc. General consesus is that people love it, but personally I'm not so into it. Nighsister/Nightbrother episodes/The Mortis episodes are things that everybody seems to love except me.

Nevermind I think I'm wrong I was thinking of characters that looked like the Nightsisters from one of the video games.

Ehh they're from a very weird arc. General consesus is that people love it, but personally I'm not so into it. Nighsister/Nightbrother episodes/The Mortis episodes are things that everybody seems to love except me.

Nevermind I think I'm wrong I was thinking of characters that looked like the Nightsisters from one of the video games.

That

Lightwhips don't have anything in canon as of yet

• 2 weeks later...

Objectively speaking?

Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

In terms of what ones I enjoy rewatching the most its

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Rogue One

Also I prefer The Clone Wars series to the prequels and Rogue One. Rebels isn't as bad as people say it is either.

This basically.

What are 5 things you all can't wait to see or hope to see in Last Jedi?

How hyped are you so far, based on trailers,official images and interviews it's spoilers?

5 months to go but just curious

Luke fighting in his old age

Rey finally fighting/using Force after some training

Kylo's history, as well as Snoke's

Though I haven't seen the trailers or anything and probably will try my best to avoid. I did that with The Force Awakens, and it was more enjoyable.

I like Kylo Ren a lot. Greatest new Star Wars villain since the Emperor in Return of the Jedi for me. So I'm interested in seeing how killing his father has effected him as well as more insight to his relationship with Snoke. What kind of stress does Snoke put him under and how?

I'm personally curious as to why mastering the force has been a breeze for Rey so far.

It'd he nice to see more classic aliens. Like a Rodian or a Twi'lek, or an Ithorian or something. More things that bridge the gap in logical ways.

Some new John Williams music is nice.

Can't really think of a fifth thing.

I'm excited for it, but not any more excited than I am for any other movie I want to see. I'm nowhere near as excited as I was for Force Awakens. Now that they're annual it doesn't feel as big anymore.

I'm actually wondering how much influence Snoke had over Kylo, and whether Kylo was actually influenced by his grandfather at a young age. And I think Rey hasn't really mastered the Force, but she has great potential in it and has been forced to use it in ways that Luke either didn't think of using or didn't bother to use. She could probably have excellent instincts though.

She knows how to do so many force tricks so fast. Like by the end of Empire all Luke can really do is struggle to move his lightsaber around a bit. Couldn't come close to pulling off getting the X-Wing out of the swamp. For Rey, doing a mind trick happens after a couple tries, she can already force pull the lightsaber out of the snow. Luke saw Obi-Wan doing the mindtricks and in a way that implies that the mind trick is some real serious Jedi shit. It's framed as a showcase at how Obi-Wan has mastered using the force. Rey just gives it a couple tries and she's got it. She doesn't even have any memories of knowing a Jedi. She's never even seen a Jedi use the force. The extent of her knowledge is Luke as a historical figure.

Luke fails at almost everything except blowing up the Death Star in the original trilogy and I think he's a better lead because of that.

The film does a great job at making Rey likable, but her character arc is so rushed in the Force Awakens to the point where I can already tell their going to do some backpeddling in Last Jedi.

She knows how to do so many force tricks so fast. Like by the end of Empire all Luke can really do is struggle to move his lightsaber around a bit. Couldn't come close to pulling off getting the X-Wing out of the swamp. For Rey, doing a mind trick happens after a couple tries, she can already force pull the lightsaber out of the snow. Luke saw Obi-Wan doing the mindtricks and in a way that implies that the mind trick is some real serious Jedi shit. It's framed as a showcase at how Obi-Wan has mastered using the force. Rey just gives it a couple tries and she's got it. She doesn't even have any memories of knowing a Jedi. She's never even seen a Jedi use the force. The extent of her knowledge is Luke as a historical figure.

Luke fails at almost everything except blowing up the Death Star in the original trilogy and I think he's a better lead because of that.

The film does a great job at making Rey likable, but her character arc is so rushed in the Force Awakens to the point where I can already tell their going to do some backpeddling in Last Jedi.

I thought it took couple of tries for her to do so, and she actually had to need it. Plus, the Force would also be guiding her, so there's that. I don't think Rey ever moved anything as heavy as the X-Wing, and Luke did eventually master mind manipulation.

Yeah but Luke wasn't doing any of that shit by movie number 1. Literally all he could do before ROTJ was wiggle a lightsaber out of the snow and make some rocks float a foot off the ground. For all we know Rey hasn't had any training whatsoever yet she's about an equal level Luke was at after years of training under the tutelage of Obi-Wan and Yoda.

My guess is that Kathleen Kennedy and JJ were really amped on the female protagonist so they overcompensated because they're under the assumption that the general audience think women are inherently weak. They didn't want to show too many flaws in her. Action movies with female protagonists do this all the time. Their idea of being strong is too rooted in the physical and not so much in the writing.

Finally got Rogue One. Thought it was very good, although some of the "non Star Wars" cinematography felt a bit jarring, although labeling the planets was useful, it sort of lost the feel of being classic Star Wars. The new characters were really well written, and obviously as they didn't appear in the "original" trilogy we knew their fates - but it still felt powerful. The K droid was brilliant, his matter of fact and flippant replies were beautifully delivered.

Vader came off as badass plus. Even the "be careful not to choke on your aspirations, General" seemed like something Anakin would say. As for the corridor, wow. It does make his seeming lack of power in A New Hope a little backwards - but I can live with it.

One thing I really liked about Force Awakens that I hope they keep in Last Jedi is how young the First Order was. General Hux seems to be the guy running things and he doesn't look a day over 30. It's such a nice contrast between how the Empire was portrayed, mostly as old white British men. The First Order top three in command below Snoke are Hux, Kylo, and Phasma, all people younger than 40. Very youthful crew to leading an army. Some people on the bridge of the Star Destroyers look like teenagers in Force Awakens.

Why I think this is so genius is that it totally makes sense. I've heard people complain about this too, but I feel like they're missing the point. I get that in reality most military forces are run by older, more experienced people. But why the opposite works so well for the First Order is because they're basically emulating what they believe the Empire was. Of course they have no context about what the Empire was really like, they were never really alive for it. They never experienced how oppressive the rule of the Empire was. They can't contextualize how harmful it was. That's why they are susceptible to trying to recreate it.

They're essentially what America's alt right movement wished it was. They are only capable of fetishizing the Empire (Nazis) and their imagery because they have no historical knowledge of it. Meanwhile we see a contrast in the Resistance. It's leaders are portrayed as older; Leia having lived under the Empire's rule her entire life until she had a hand in defeating it; Admiral Ackbar having fought for the Republic and seeing it crumble into the Empire.

Snoke is the only guy seemingly old enough to have been around during the Galactic Civil War. So he manipulates the youth somehow. Convincing them the galaxy was better under the rule of Palpatine.

I'm so worried they're going to ruin this due to each film having its own screenwriters and directors.

Archived