• mid-80s-early 90s
    • 1990s
    • mid-90s-early 00s
    • 2000s
    • mid-00s-early 10s
    • 2010s (so far)
    • Other
    • *Censored* all these options, Classical ftw

1966-1971 is to me the most fruitful period with a range of influential artists such as Jimi Hendrix, Beatles (together and solo), Doors, Led Zep, Who, VU, Pink Floyd, CCR, CSNY, Santana, Dylan, Ten Years After, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, etc. This seemed to be one of the few periods which had quantity as well as quality, with Woodstock being the pinnacle of this era. That's just talking about the music, of course there's the counterculture that lended it even more meaning and importance.

The decade with the overall most consistent, varied and best music has got to be the 70s with various genres emerging, such as Metal (Sabbath, Deep Purple), Reggae (Marley, Cliff), Punk (Ramones, Pistols, Clash), Hip Hop (Furious Five, Sugarhill Gang) and Disco (Chic, Bee Gees) among others. Not to mention the ridiculous album runs by Bowie, Pink Floyd and Stevie Wonder (as well as Motown's domiantion).

The 80s and 90s had amazing stuff (esp. 84-94) but were overall rather inconsistent compared to earlier periods and seemingly more prone to plastic and untalented acts receiving the spotlight. Since the late 90s/early 2000s, the really good stuff seems to be something you have to look for because the mainstream scene is mostly bland and unimaginative, now even more so than it's ever been.

TL;DR, what do y'all think are the best time periods in music history?

Music is the best right now.

Reason being, I can go back and listen to any era that I feel like. There was no era that produced more "good" music than any other. There is music that is mainstream during any given time period, but mainstream music doesn't speak for the entirety of what's available. There were era's that had better mainstream music than other eras. The 60's and 70's obviously had some of the biggest names in music as the current mainstream groups of the time...as opposed to our mainstream music in 2014, which is insufferable to many people (myself included).

That being said, there's plenty of music being made in 2014 (or any other year), which might not get heavy mainstream play, but is still great music. Hence why people who love music are constantly finding music from groups they've never heard...some of which is decades old, and they say "I can't believe I've never heard this"...and the reason they haven't heard it is because it wasn't mainstream.

So...short answer = the current year is always the best time for music, because you get everything that came before it, and all of the new stuff too. Just don't pay much attention to what mainstream media tells you you're supposed to like and there are plenty of options out there for awesome music.

Music is the best right now.

Reason being, I can go back and listen to any era that I feel like.

So...short answer = the current year is always the best time for music, because you get everything that came before it, and all of the new stuff too.

I agree with this

The better question then would be, what is the best period in music, IF you didn't have access to stuff from too far into the past, just music from that current period and going back some 3-4 years in the past. With that in mind no way would I choose the current era. Just Bieber and a bunch of crappy pop artist being played on the radio, no thanks.

The better question then would be, what is the best period in music, IF you didn't have access to stuff from too far into the past, just music from that current period and going back some 3-4 years in the past. With that in mind no way would I choose the current era. Just Bieber and a bunch of crappy pop artist being played on the radio, no thanks.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. Should've made it more clear I guess because of course today is the best time to enjoy any kind of music for free on demand thanks to the internet. :P

80s-90s for me, I haven't gone that far enough musically to be able to say whether I think the 60s were this or that.

But I thought the music from the decades I did choose was particularly awesome, and some of my life-impacting / fave albums came from those eras like "Thriller", "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx", "Aquemini", "Reasonable Doubt" etc.

Oh, 70s had some great stuff from the likes of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, so on and so forth.

Archived