How would no mp3 support in the new gen consoles work?

Superboi307

I was just thinking how would it work. I never played any NBA game so I don't know the importance of custom music in that game. But for WWE custom music plays a huge part in the game. I don't see how can they go without having that feature in the game.

And is it confirmed that Sony and Microsoft won't be adding mp3 support into the new consoles?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not confirmed why they won't be, or even if they won't be.

Streaming music to consoles with DLNA, or taking music from USB sticks etc is rumored to have been neglected (by us users) because both Sony and MS have their Music Unlimited and Xbox Music services on the PS4/XBone which they want to get people to start using more. This wouldn't happen if streaming music from PC to console was an option. PS4's 'share factory' video editing app does allow mp3s to be taken from usb sticks and used within it, though.

Sony have said they're 'looking into' getting the feature working on PS4, but like a lot of Sony's Shue Yoshida's tweets on the matter, they seem like empty promises and give no confirmation that it is coming, nor a date or expected timeline. As these tweets mount-up for various features (suspend and resume, dlna, 3d bluray movie playback) some PS4 owners are getting frustrated, and thinking these tweets are a fob-off, a way to quiet any negative feelings temporarily. Although we're now set to get 3D bluray playback in firmware 1.75, it is only at a time when Xbone is also set to receive 3D bluray support, and Xbone have had suspend and resume since launch and it is nowhere to be seen on PS4's roadmap etc.

To my knowledge the Xbone and PS4 do not even have 'System Music Players' with which to play music which is streamed. And I do question that even if we got music streaming from PCs to consoles via DLNA, if that would automatically mean the return of Custom Soundtracks. That would still be something which the developers of the games would have to support and code into their games. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Custom Soundtracks. I personally think that they are likely to be relegated to a last-gen feature.

The g4 network at e3 said mp3 support wouldn't hit either system until 2015 at the earliest as neither sony or Microsoft have made it a priority. In fact, sony just posted about a month ago a job opening for someone to create the mp3 support app so they haven't even started it.

Ill miss custom themes, but my current gen days are over once 2k15 comes out.

Well recent posts over the Internet states that something related to mp3 is in the oven. Nothing specific but they did reply saying they know about the situation and future updates will add new features. They smartly dodged it by saying "new features" not really pin pointing if they are working on mp3 support.

Can you actually get / put on all the wrestling themes you need with music unlimited? or is it like the iTunes / spotify (dependant on if the original creator has it in the virtual shop for sale)

Rather Sony just do an iTunes Match gimmick where you pay £23 a year and get any songs you want upload them in iTunes and it pushes to them you to your phone even if it's an illegal download

Two / three things will determine whether I'll be getting current gen or last gen

If all the top caw makers go to next gen I may have no choice but to go next gen cos of graphics, gameplay and caws

If the roster truly is unique and really is huge with practically everyone you could want from. Sting to vader to lex to hall to nwo to dx to Rick Martel as well as current guys then I could go with next current gen too

But if I badly need a lot of caws and a few decent creators come back on last gen and it has the custom music and the gameplay tech isn't much different then I'll go for one more run with ps3

Well recent posts over the Internet states that something related to mp3 is in the oven. Nothing specific but they did reply saying they know about the situation and future updates will add new features. They smartly dodged it by saying "new features" not really pin pointing if they are working on mp3 support.

Have been saying that since December. Then mp3 is rumored for every update and then its left off and sony ignores questions asking why and when will we get it.

It's gonna be lame if we don't get Custom Soundtracks this year, which I don't think we will (at least on Next-Gen due to them not seemingly working on either console having proper mp3 support yet ). And it's not only lame for entrances, but it's also lame because we won't be able to make Jukeboxes for the menus. I loved doing that in 2K14; made playing the game the first little while in the creation suite not so boring and repetitive.

Hopefully they still separate the menu music volume, and entrance music volume in the Options again. Or hell, give us an actual soundtrack with a little bit of recent Hip Hop, Rock, and Electronic/Trap music or generic in-house instrumental stuff like SD1-HCTP.

Custom themes are important for me; though, for some reason, in 2k14 they were so low. But it gives them variety and I like to hear some uncensored hardcore rap/rock as my CAWs come to the ring. I can't see my main CAW coming out to a generic rap theme or a wrestler's theme. I dislike using wrestler's movies and trons for the fact that I KNOW who they belong to.

2K should see the significance of this feature and work to get it implemented SOMEHOW. I'm not technologically advanced -- burning songs to a CD like before won't work?

Its not the end of the world if we can't have it back this year. Microsoft and Sony obviously want to push their music subscription services, and they won't suddenly want to drop that idea for a WWE game. I've been playing WWE games since before the advent of custom soundtracks in RAW 2, so if I could play and enjoy Here Comes the Pain and Shut Your Mouth, I will make due with what I have in 2k15.

That said, I probably will end up with a copy for PS4 and 360 so..

Have you guys seen the share factory on ps4? you can import music from a usb, Im pretty it going to work the same as that

I don't own a ps4 yet so I don't know how this share factory works. Is it a subscription based app like music unlimited? Or just an importing feature?

Have you guys seen the share factory on ps4? you can import music from a usb, Im pretty it going to work the same as that

I don't own a ps4 yet so I don't know how this share factory works. Is it a subscription based app like music unlimited? Or just an importing feature?

Im not sure but in april or may ronnie2k was asked about this for nba 2k and he said share factory music on ps4 cannot be used in games only outside of them.

Streaming music to consoles with DLNA, or taking music from USB sticks etc is rumored to have been neglected (by us users) because both Sony and MS have their Music Unlimited and Xbox Music services on the PS4/XBone which they want to get people to start using more. This wouldn't happen if streaming music from PC to console was an option. PS4's 'share factory' video editing app does allow mp3s to be taken from usb sticks and used within it, though.

Sony have said they're 'looking into' getting the feature working on PS4, but like a lot of Sony's Shue Yoshida's tweets on the matter, they seem like empty promises and give no confirmation that it is coming, nor a date or expected timeline. As these tweets mount-up for various features (suspend and resume, dlna, 3d bluray movie playback) some PS4 owners are getting frustrated, and thinking these tweets are a fob-off, a way to quiet any negative feelings temporarily. Although we're now set to get 3D bluray playback in firmware 1.75, it is only at a time when Xbone is also set to receive 3D bluray support, and Xbone have had suspend and resume since launch and it is nowhere to be seen on PS4's roadmap etc.

To my knowledge the Xbone and PS4 do not even have 'System Music Players' with which to play music which is streamed. And I do question that even if we got music streaming from PCs to consoles via DLNA, if that would automatically mean the return of Custom Soundtracks. That would still be something which the developers of the games would have to support and code into their games. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Custom Soundtracks. I personally think that they are likely to be relegated to a last-gen feature.

Why cant people just put the audio cd in and rip it to the console like xbox 360 users do?

Why cant people just put the audio cd in and rip it to the console like xbox 360 users do?

Because the new consoles don't have that feature. The new consoles rely on streaming services for music. Adding a cd ripping option would make the streaming services useless.

Archived