How many careers/characters has cena hurt ?

Rekka_No_Ryo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....To say one nobody's said yet, Del Rio. He's always had a hard time struggling with the people, but the feuds he had with Cena didn't help. He got called out for having rental cars and looked like a chump in their matches.

I don't think he has hurt careers of most people, bar Nexus. But he has ruined a lot of characters by not just winning, but not selling the damage he gets. Dolf and Sandow were getting buried anyway, so I'm not gonna blindly blame Cena even though he dealt some of the worst damage (at least to Sandow), but unless Cena made the decision, it was the decision makers who hurt the careers of other talents.

Did Cena say "hey, turn Ryback heel and feed him to me so I can destroy him!"? Did Cena say "let me go over Bray two times, be damned to building him!"? I have no idea, but it is possible if the decision makers thought it was a good idea. Which they probably did as he's the face of WWE and a top star.

Stil better than Hogan though.

Dolph, Ryder, & Sandow. Probably none of those guys would have been main event mainstays, but still

Also Wade & the Nexus.

I can argue that Dolph would've been a mainstay, even after his feud with Cena. I don't care for him but he could've definitely secured a spot up there. Idk what happened in between his MITB win and now that caused him to be in the spot he's in now.

I'll say Wade/Nexus because the finish to the tag match was confirmed to be Cena's idea and that really *censored*ed them over in the long run, even if he apologized for it afterwards.

I don't quite know why being in a feud with Cena is the kiss of death in WWE, but it really seems to be. I doubt that every single time someone gets put in a program with Cena, Cena decides to *Censored* with their careers and knock them back to the midcard using his "backstage politics" or decides to react based on "ego" or whatever people wanna call it. It's shitty to think that his booking causes so much shit to happen to capable superstars.

I think the one that hurt me the most was Ryback because of how crazy over he was. A heel turn and subsequent feud with the top guy in the company was pretty obviously a bad move.

Edit: his lack of selling is bad too. No excuse for that.

I really don't think you can blame Cena for what happened to Dolf, as WWE was the one who dropped the ball and removed him from anything to do with Bryan vs. Authority. Jeez, how great that would have been. With Ryback though, I think whoever turned him heel should be blamed. He was amazing as a monster face, but when he turned heel, it was meh.

If nothin else, I'm more pissed about Bray because there was absolutely no reason for Cena to win or not turn heel or anything. Perfect chance, and he has to win in a superhero way. wtf

I don't think he has hurt careers of most people, bar Nexus. But he has ruined a lot of characters by not just winning, but not selling the damage he gets. Dolf and Sandow were getting buried anyway, so I'm not gonna blindly blame Cena even though he dealt some of the worst damage (at least to Sandow), but unless Cena made the decision, it was the decision makers who hurt the careers of other talents.

Did Cena say "hey, turn Ryback heel and feed him to me so I can destroy him!"? Did Cena say "let me go over Bray two times, be damned to building him!"? I have no idea, but it is possible if the decision makers thought it was a good idea. Which they probably did as he's the face of WWE and a top star.

That's what I'm saying. I highly doubt Cena is in favor of destroying people. I think it's all on creative. They're gonna book the face of the company and the cash cow to look as strong as possible. If nobody had personal merch to sell then things would be different.

Cena told Austin that he's always the one that tells creative to give guys a chance and sometimes they listen and sometimes they don't and since I have no proof of that he's lying, I'm gonna go with that. He's not gonna quit because he tried to help somebody and it didn't work. And I bet if he did that, people will just accuse him of begging people to like him. I'll never put full blame on Cena because I know he's just a company guy. Whatever they ask, he's gonna do. He can make suggestions but ultimately it's not up to him.

That's what I'm saying. I highly doubt Cena is in favor of destroying people. I think it's all on creative. They're gonna book the face of the company and the cash cow to look as strong as possible. If nobody had personal merch to sell then things would be different.

Cena told Austin that he's always the one that tells creative to give guys a chance and sometimes they listen and sometimes they don't and since I have no proof of that he's lying, I'm gonna go with that. He's not gonna quit because he tried to help somebody and it didn't work. And I bet if he did that, people will just accuse him of begging people to like him. I'll never put full blame on Cena because I know he's just a company guy. Whatever they ask, he's gonna do. He can make suggestions but ultimately it's not up to him.

Exactly. I think Cena has some pull, at worst, no doubt about it, but I don't think he's that dedicated to destroying people. Why apologize to the Nexus, then? Hasn't Hogan been treated the same way? Cena no sells, but Hogan got his throat damaged by Randy at WM but no sold it after hulking up. I have problems with Cena, but I just can't see him being this much of a douche.

However, Cena could help soften the damage by actually selling. Even if the creative tells him to look like a superhero, he should be safe enough that he can sell the matches without getting in trouble.

That win against Bray Wyatt at WM was so cheesy.

Referee: "No John don't do this, this isn't you"

Wth

Ok that was some ole bullshit. I do think the Wyatt feud was handled stupidly. I still think Wyatt should've won at WM and that the feud was tailor made for Cena to turn heel. But regardless of that Wyatt is still a top guy imo and that feud kinda made Bray look stronger and it gave him credibility cause it showed the crazy shit you gotta go through to beat this dude.

In terms of what tho? Backstage politics? Then sure, maybe. But as far as on screen stuff goes? Cena's way more damaging, as a character, than Hogan ever was. If Hulk was wrestling a dude, he'd sell his offense like he was being shot up close with a shotgun, until the fans cheered and willed him onto his comeback, at which point he'd usually win. When Cena wrestles, he just gets mildly hurt or beat up until a random point in the match where LOLCENAWINS and it's over, not much attention gets paid to psychology or selling.

When it comes to promo work, Cena belittles people so badly it can be quite damaging. If Hogan feuded with Del Rio, he'd talk about how horrible he is, lording his wealth and privalage over hard working, honest Americans, whereas Cena laughed him off as a joke and said he rented his cars. If Hogan fought Bray Wyatt, he'd talk about how Wyatt was trying to poison the minds of his Hulkamaniacs with lies and deceit, trying to steer them off the right path. Cena made photoshop jokes, sung Margaritaville to him, and said he how stole his rocking chair from Cracker Barrel. And while he never actually called him out on being Husky Harris, it was a real fear many people had.

That's the difference between Hogan and Cena, and that's the problem with Cena's character. He's an untouchable God amongst men who wants sympathy while he blows his threats off as jokes. Whether that's his decision or not, I have no clue. I'd like to think he's just naive and unaware of how damaging feuding with him can be, but that's almost as bad as him maliciously holding others down, which is a theory that's been gaining alot of traction for some time now.

In terms of what tho? Backstage politics? Then sure, maybe. But as far as on screen stuff goes? Cena's way more damaging, as a character, than Hogan ever was. If Hulk was wrestling a dude, he'd sell his offense like he was being shot up close with a shotgun, until the fans cheered and willed him onto his comeback, at which point he'd usually win. When Cena wrestles, he just gets mildly hurt or beat up until a random point in the match where LOLCENAWINS and it's over, not much attention gets paid to psychology or selling.

When it comes to promo work, Cena belittles people so badly it can be quite damaging. If Hogan feuded with Del Rio, he'd talk about how horrible he is, lording his wealth and privalage over hard working, honest Americans, whereas Cena laughed him off as a joke and said he rented his cars. If Hogan fought Bray Wyatt, he'd talk about how Wyatt was trying to poison the minds of his Hulkamaniacs with lies and deceit, trying to steer them off the right path. Cena made photoshop jokes, sung Margaritaville to him, and said he how stole his rocking chair from Cracker Barrel. And while he never actually called him out on being Husky Harris, it was a real fear many people had.

That's the difference between Hogan and Cena, and that's the problem with Cena's character. He's an untouchable God amongst men who wants sympathy while he blows his threats off as jokes. Whether that's his decision or not, I have no clue. I'd like to think he's just naive and unaware of how damaging feuding with him can be, but that's almost as bad as him maliciously holding others down, which is a theory that's been gaining alot of traction for some time now.

Everything you just said Cena does in promos, you know who else did it? The Rock. The Rock made fun of and belittled everyone he feuded with, no one says shit about that

I gotta agree about the selling. The only time Cena sells well is when he has an obvious injury. If it's him being worn down, the highest selling he'll do is look tired and exhausted when the match is done.

Everything you just said Cena does in promos, you know who else did it? The Rock. The Rock made fun of and belittled everyone he feuded with, no one says shit about that

I gotta agree about the selling. The only time Cena sells well is when he has an obvious injury. If it's him being worn down, the highest selling he'll do is look tired and exhausted when the match is done.

Because he didn't when it mattered. He was the trash talker but he just sold the *Censored* out of his opponents when it mattered. Look at how legit Brock came across when he destoryed The Rock. Now look at how Cena handled being destroyed by Brock. Lolwin, lolpromo, lolgrin

I have said this as well with the selling, but there's actually no difference. Cena and Hogan sell during match, and when they have a final comeback or almost end the match, there's no difference between no-selling. Hell, for all we know, Hogan sold the way he did so the hits would look more damaging, and he would look more impressive no-selling it. I do have an issue with the lack of psychology and selling on Cena's part, which I have mentioned multiple times.

Different characters. Rock belittled others as well. So did Jericho. Hogan was also supposed to be appealing to hardworking Americans, while Cena is appealin towards kids, hence the shitty jokes and all.

Why would Cena do that?

If he was holding others down, why would he say Daniel won fair and square? Why would he put Punk over cleanly? Did Hogan ever put anyone over cleanly at his peak? Hell, Hogan refused to lose the title to Bret because of Bret's appearance and preferred Yokozuna to take it from him in a dirty way, and then Hogan inserted himself into the title match after Bret lost to Yokozuna.

I'm not sure if he wants sympathy, but it is disgusting how they use the whole underdog schtick when the *censored*er FU'd Big Show years ago.

Because when it came down to it, the Rock rarely damaged anybody's character the way Cena has. He never no sold a promo just to smirk and laugh at someone, he never called their characters out as being frauds, and he always made sure to build up his opponents, even while he was knocking them down. And even in the times where he did kinda hurt people, like for example, calling Goldberg a bald headed whisker biscuit bitch, he managed to make up for that by bumping and selling his ass off when it came time for the match. I'm not saying Rock never destroyed his opponents verbally, but it was usually just shit talking, not exposing them, and like I said, he could make up for it by making their offense look stellar, something Cena doesn't do consistently.

Hogan used to literally pop right the *Censored* up from taking a finisher. I know he did it to Taker back in the day and I think he did it to Vader too.

As far as I know, Cena has never done that.

Archived