Malaysia Airlines MH17 plane crash: Fury after WWE character makes tasteless reference to disaster

Shattered Dreams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWE Issues Statement Concerning Lana's Promo at the Battleground Last Night

WWE issued the following statement today regarding Lana's promo at WWE Battleground which has drawn a lot of attention from mainstream media.

"Last night's segment during WWE's Battleground event was in no way referring to the Malaysia Airlines tragedy. The storyline with characters Rusev and Lana has been a part of WWE programming for more than 3 months. WWE apologizes to anyone who misunderstood last night's segment and was offended."

Source: WWE.com

How was it tasteless? She just said, that Americans may blame Russia for it. She didn't even say that Americans are responsible for the plane being shot, those were two statements and there is no absolute indication of it being a connected statement.

Also - Lmfao at Hassan being an Islamic terrorist. You *Censored*s need to listen. Like really.

I already said my bit on this.

It needed to be done. It was better to do it than it was to ignore it. I don't care what anyone says...this is the truth of the matter. The gimmick already exists. They were already going to be balls-deep in controversy whether they acknowledged the crash or not. Acknowledging the situation allows people to vent their anger regarding the attack directly on Rusev. It's not just cheap heat for the company, it's doing what professional wrestling has always done, in giving people an outlet where they can safely vent their anger without doing any harm to others. It's the equivalent of saying "if you want to punch someone, punch me". WWE will be the bad guys no matter what they do. It's better that they embrace it.

WWE should just run with it. Satire and entertainment in general shouldn't have to abide to some mourning people. It should be above all barriers. That's not to say people can't still be hurt or angry at them, for doing it but they should be entitled to their reaction just like WWE or any other artist, comedian, entertainer etc should be entitled to their actions. Wrestling will always have the 'tasteless' moniker. Always. WWE tries to change it so hard but people still think it's stupid. It's true. Just do what you do and do it well and without boundaries for the target audience, instead of limiting yourself to cater to an audience that doesn't even like you.

Damned real world tragedies *censored*ing up our bad guys in wrestling.

I know this a joke...but like I said, WWE doesn't book real world events, they book angles around real world events. It's what they've always done. It's why people have such a strong emotional connection to wrestling. If you grew up watching wrestling, part of you will always love it...and it's because they do things like this. They'll be your punching bag when you need them to be.

I already said my bit on this.

It needed to be done. It was better to do it than it was to ignore it. I don't care what anyone says...this is the truth of the matter. The gimmick already exists. They were already going to be balls-deep in controversy whether they acknowledged the crash or not. Acknowledging the situation allows people to vent their anger regarding the attack directly on Rusev. It's not just cheap heat for the company, it's doing what professional wrestling has always done, in giving people an outlet where they can safely vent their anger without doing any harm to others. It's the equivalent of saying "if you want to punch someone, punch me". WWE will be the bad guys no matter what they do. It's better that they embrace it.

this totally.

Also...Lana is russian (character). Why wouldn't she want to clean the vest of her country?

I can understand being offended by this, but I have no sympathy for you unless you've never seen a single episode of wrestling before in your life. Its always had characters like this. Its fiction, but its based in reality and takes place in present day. You've got to expect this kind of stuff. How come no one bitches about lifelike terrorists in a show like 24? I know the argument is played out, but its true. The media has always loved to single out pro wrestling because its an easy target.

It'll make WWE become relevant again

Which is honestly the best thing that can happen for them. Yes they've become relevant for doing something that is tied into a tragedy, and thus has gotten them bad publicity. But publicity is publicity and it's something WWE could use.

Archived