Analyzing The 'Chris Jericho Curse'

Cooksie

I always kind of wonder why people still clamor for Chris Jericho to return after all of this time.

Not that I don't understand it; the dude is an icon. One of my personal favorites, as well. Undeniably charismatic, technically flawless, seasoned, respected, and smart. I think a lot of people should strive to be like Jericho-- he was the Bryan before Bryan, he was the Zayn before Zayn, he'll probably be the Neville before Neville and the Devitt before Devitt. People respect that he has traveled the world and perfected his craft, and he deserves to highlight this passion on the biggest outlet out there: WWE.

But I'm over it, y'know? I've watched WWE for years and was right in the thick of it when people were still euphoric over Chris Jericho's return. And for good reason. Even when he was (expectedly) slighted out of main event programs, he still succeeded in whatever spot of the card he was on. That's why they liked having him around; he was a good hand.

Yet by the end of his 2010 run and the re-start of his run in 2012, it's become clear to me that Jericho returning at this point for anything other than a nostalgic pop is kind of mundane. WWE doesn't recognize the full extent of his appeal and wastes it as a catalyst to put over their flavor of the month. And it never works.

Evan Bourne's release jogged my memory to back in 2010, where Jericho put over Bourne. Everyone's like, "cool, sweet, awesome, yeah..." did Bourne even do anything for the rest of that year? It took him a whole 'nother year to finally win a title, and it was a tag belt. Seriously? What about when Swagger beat him for the World title?

Jericho's comeback to put over CM Punk? You really would have thought that it would have put the icing on the cake for Punk's run to the top of the company, but nope. He fell short of WrestleMania the next year and what happens after that is already pretty well known.

Ziggler "ending Jericho's career" went absolutely nowhere. And neither did Fandango's win over him. Or Ryback's win over him.

Are you seeing a pattern?

Jericho's legacy is tarnished when he comes back only to be embarrassed by guys that Vince isn't even going to care about in three months. They wasted two awesome returns with two lackluster summers and now it could be a very long time before any of you see Jericho wrestle another match again.

And you know what? The same thing is going to happen to RVD, too. The Cesaro/Barrett program is leading to it, and I think everyone knows it. The open door for people to come back needs to be pick and choose; I get that HHH is trying to get people interested in the roster again, but wins and losses do count. Stop wasting former World champions and people that everyone will always pop for if you're just going to have them rot on the midcard, or stop having people you're going to let rot in the midcard beat former World champions and people that everyone will always pop for.

/rant.

Just skimmed through but I think it has more to do with Jericho wanting to put over those guys instead of Vince wanting it. Jericho has no control over what Vince does with them after but Jericho has said a lot that he likes to comeback to put over the young guys because he doesn't need the wins.

Jericho's always reinvented himself. This may sound cliche, but I still don't see him as a star who should be strictly used as an enhancement talent. He's much better than that, and he's had nothing for him over the past two years except putting over others continuously. Unlike Triple H, I still see him as a guy who can more than go in the ring and is still the wizard on the mic; just that he's not been getting the correct programs to work with. He's been awfully restricted in his purpose, and while I have no problem with him putting others over, I just wish they would use a guy of his level better and give him meaningful programs, instead of having him on the losing end every freakin' time. Because he's better than that, and anyone would grow stale if they're merely used as an enhancement talent.

Jericho's always reinvented himself. This may sound cliche, but I still don't see him as a star who should be strictly used as an enhancement talent. He's much better than that, and he's had nothing for him over the past two years except putting over others continuously. Unlike Triple H, I still see him as a guy who can more than go in the ring and is still the wizard on the mic; just that he's not been getting the correct programs to work with. He's been awfully restricted in his purpose, and while I have no problem with him putting others over, I just wish they would use a guy of his level better and give him meaningful programs, instead of having him on the losing end every freakin' time. Because he's better than that, and anyone would grow stale if they're merely used as an enhancement talent.

Basically. Like, Triple H would not come back to lose to Mickey McGee, or whoever. Why does Jericho have to? I get that he wants to put people over, but it will mean nothing if it's not the right scenario. Punk/Jericho was the right scenario.

Ziggler/Jericho, Ryback/Jericho, Bourne/Jericho, Fandango/Jericho was not.

I want to see Jericho team with Devitt and Slater. Could be hilarious rock faction. Slater being the screw up, Devitt potential star and Jericho the Icon.

Well , exactly this.

Jericho's great better than the 3/4 of the roster on the mic and in the ring , great storyteller ectect.

Jericho just need to win back to back and loose at the right time if he want to put young guy over.

Cause loosing like he did to fandanbitch , cryback and other was ....well pointless.

If Jericho returned I would want him to either feud with Bryan, Rollins or Cesaro. Honestly if Bryan becomes champ again a feud between him and a heel Chris Jericho would be amazing. One things for certain: if Jericho does come back he should be main eventing and no more of the mid card bullshit. WWE needs to get the most out of Jericho before he gets too old no disrespect.

Jericho is NEVER pointless in WWE. He may have been a little stale but the dude is never pointless.

I might get flamed for this but I don't much care. If Jericho to return again, I honestly wouldn't say no to him having one more championship run.

Why would you get flamed for that? Dude deserves another run. I agree with this.

Archived