I really miss surprise debuts and returns.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the same way. I mean, I get the reason (want to build hype to pop a rating), but it's still kinda lame. What I hate more though, is when a guy is there as a surprise, but the announcer announces him before his music hits.

Same. I miss when you were tuning in per usual and suddenly, the theme of a superstar who had been out for months would play and he would make his return. Now they've sucked the life out of that. They still don't hype Undertaker's return, but that's something which we come to know anyways and has become obvious. I blame the Internet partially too.

I blame the internet mostly. Pretty much everyone who browses wrestling forums/sites knows before hand who's coming back or around. Royal Rumble entrants are kept a surprise until we get the article of "I saw KEvin Nash in the same city but he had his hair dyed, so he's going to be in the rumble obviously". Internet spoiled Batista's return. Internet spoils everything. I was actually surprised by Brock Lesnar returning (I had just started watching again before Mania that year) and apparently was in the minority since MOST people knew about this.

I like vignettes for a lot of guys because in these days someone like Bo would debut and no one would have a clue who he is (AGAIN) and he'd be deemed a flop within 2 weeks because thats how things work with a lot of fans. We should still get some cool returns randomly, but its hard now when we have 3 reports and many cell phone pics of [insert wrestler] headed to Raw. Hell, KENTA isn't even at the training facility yet and everyone knows basically the details of his contract. This is why we don't get them.

I'm trying to remember the last time a surprise debut/return happened without my prior knowledge and except for Punk's Cult of Personality return (which was a surprise to me because I was avoiding Internet forums during that time), and Cena's Royal Rumble return, I feel like the last time it happened was MNM's debut.

Well there was the surprise returns at the Raw 1000. Xavier Woods had a surprise debut. Batista was probably going to be a surprise before the city he was returning in leaked it. Sheamus got a surprise return in the Rumble. Big E got a surprise debut. Ryback got a surprise debut. There are probably more...

Chris Jericho at the 2013 Royal Rumble was the last real surprise return.

Paige debuting at the RAW after WM was also unannounced so I'd count that as a surprise debut.

Those are the most recent, respectively IMO.

I agree. Last one I was genuinly surprised at was Jericho at the Rumble. Batista was supposedly a surprise (despite rumors) but then TMZ was able to somehow receive confirmation and it got announced as well. :/

Paige wasn't announced though. :)

Surprise returns/debuts always seem to create a buzz. The crowd went nuts when Paige debuted 'cause it was completely out of nowhere. The Hogan/Austin/Rock segment was awesome, too.

I hate when they do the whole "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome back...!" It takes the crowd pop away.

Barrett's in ring return was a surprise the RAW after Mania. He got that initial pop, then an even bigger one when fans realized he was actually wrestling and not just appearing on the podium.

But I really wish Batista's return in the Rumble was a surprise. I would have popped massively for it.

Archived