Where do you think the WWE went wrong..?

Rekka_No_Ryo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should've kept Ryback away from the main event as long as possible, at least until after WrestleMania 29 and they definitely should've kept him face. I think instead of feuding with Punk, he should've taken the IC title off Miz and moved up from squashing jobbers to facing more midcarders.

I'm not the biggest Ryback fan, but it's really surprising that a guy like him hasn't held any type of gold in the past 4 years that he's been on the main roster.

I think Ryback's heel turn killed him, the fans were really behind him from feed me more and Bryan ended up getting it from yes yes yes.

In Curtis Axel's case, the guy is great in the ring but he sucks on the mic. Before they pushed him with Heyman, all he needed was a lot of work done on the mic skills and THEN he would be ready to go out there and be the next big thing.

Ryback... Well, I never was high on him, I thought that making him heel was the right thing to do at first but then it just got worse, he's a lost cause. They did rush him, maybe I would have a different opinion on him if he wasn't shoved to the main event so fast.

The invasion angle was a huge mistake and could have been done SOOOOOOOO much better. Almost every fan during the Monday Night Wars was dreaming of a cross-brand storyline, and when Vince was finally able to do it, he totally ruined it.

All he had was DDP and Booker T. The rest of the WCW guys were jobbers. Then you had Steve Austin as their leader. Steve Austin was the face of the WWF during the Monday Night Wars, he shouldn't have been leading WCW as a heel. And you had ECW in an alliance with WCW. That should never have happened, either.

And think about all the big name WCW stars that signed with WWE after the invasion angle:

Hulk Hogan
Scott Hall

Kevin Nash

Ric Flair

Eric Bischoff

Goldberg

Scott Steiner

Guys like Randy Savage and Lex Luger did some work in TNA, they probably would have been available to wrestle for WWE, but Vince McMahon chose not to do business with them for personal reasons. But eventually he did establish a working relationship with them, as they appeared in video games and action figures. So I believe if Vince really wanted to, he could have worked something out with them when WCW first folded.

And then there's Sting.. he said in the past the main reason he didn't sign with WWE was because of how they buried WCW guys on their show. Had a good storyline been laid out from the start where WCW wasn't seen as a joke of a faction, Sting might have actually signed with them when he could still be an active wrestler.

So get them all and you have:

-Eric Bischoff as the boss or owner or whatever

-Sting

-Ric Flair

-Lex Luger

-Dallas Page

-Booker T

-Goldberg

-Hulk Hogan

-Randy Savage

-Scott Hall

-Kevin Nash

-Scott Steiner

Even when WCW was folding, those were the names people associated with WCW. During the invasion, all we got was DDP and Booker T. They should have signed them all.

And I know, they all had a sweet contract where they got guaranteed money and didn't need to work. Vince should have either bought those contracts out so that they could wrestle for him in 2001, or he should have just held off on the whole angle, and done it a year or so later once all those contracts expired.

Picture this for a storyline - Austin vs. the Rock, main even of WrestleMaina. the nWo runs out from the crowd - Hogan, Hall, and Nash, and they attack Austin and the Rock. WWF guys like Undertaker, Triple H, and Mick Foley, run out for the save, but more nWo guys like Savage and Steiner run in from the crowd and take them out. Then Sting drops from the rafters, Goldberg runs in through the crowd. You think they're going to take out the nWo.. but Goldberg spears Austin and Sting swings at the Rock with his bat. The ring is filled with WCW wrestlers, all united.. Eric Bischoff grabs a mic.. "The main even of WrestleMania.. so this is the pinnacle of professional wrestling? No.. THIS" he points to Hollywood Hogan's WCW belt, "This is the pinnacle of professional wrestling"

It think it was Lance Storm who explained pretty well why Scott Steiner failed with WWE, but I'll just echo it here. He came in with a pretty bad foot injury, they threw him into a program with HHH who was dealing with his own injury (pulled groin or something like that), and as a result of both men being pretty much immobile, the matches were bad. And where do you think the blame got put?

Steiner should have been brought in as Takers wife's stalker instead of DDP while DDP could have been put in a program with The Rock.

Steiner should have never been a face what so ever.

Problem with Ryback, I think, was that they turned him heel and fed him to Cena. He was doing good as Goldberg Jr. until he turned heel. Then they seemed to have lost direction with him and gave him the stupid Big Guy gimmick.

The invasion angle was a huge mistake and could have been done SOOOOOOOO much better. Almost every fan during the Monday Night Wars was dreaming of a cross-brand storyline, and when Vince was finally able to do it, he totally ruined it.

All he had was DDP and Booker T. The rest of the WCW guys were jobbers. Then you had Steve Austin as their leader. Steve Austin was the face of the WWF during the Monday Night Wars, he shouldn't have been leading WCW as a heel. And you had ECW in an alliance with WCW. That should never have happened, either.

And think about all the big name WCW stars that signed with WWE after the invasion angle:

Hulk Hogan

Scott Hall

Kevin Nash

Ric Flair

Eric Bischoff

Goldberg

Scott Steiner

Guys like Randy Savage and Lex Luger did some work in TNA, they probably would have been available to wrestle for WWE, but Vince McMahon chose not to do business with them for personal reasons. But eventually he did establish a working relationship with them, as they appeared in video games and action figures. So I believe if Vince really wanted to, he could have worked something out with them when WCW first folded.

And then there's Sting.. he said in the past the main reason he didn't sign with WWE was because of how they buried WCW guys on their show. Had a good storyline been laid out from the start where WCW wasn't seen as a joke of a faction, Sting might have actually signed with them when he could still be an active wrestler.

So get them all and you have:

-Eric Bischoff as the boss or owner or whatever

-Sting

-Ric Flair

-Lex Luger

-Dallas Page

-Booker T

-Goldberg

-Hulk Hogan

-Randy Savage

-Scott Hall

-Kevin Nash

-Scott Steiner

Even when WCW was folding, those were the names people associated with WCW. During the invasion, all we got was DDP and Booker T. They should have signed them all.

And I know, they all had a sweet contract where they got guaranteed money and didn't need to work. Vince should have either bought those contracts out so that they could wrestle for him in 2001, or he should have just held off on the whole angle, and done it a year or so later once all those contracts expired.

Picture this for a storyline - Austin vs. the Rock, main even of WrestleMaina. the nWo runs out from the crowd - Hogan, Hall, and Nash, and they attack Austin and the Rock. WWF guys like Undertaker, Triple H, and Mick Foley, run out for the save, but more nWo guys like Savage and Steiner run in from the crowd and take them out. Then Sting drops from the rafters, Goldberg runs in through the crowd. You think they're going to take out the nWo.. but Goldberg spears Austin and Sting swings at the Rock with his bat. The ring is filled with WCW wrestlers, all united.. Eric Bischoff grabs a mic.. "The main even of WrestleMania.. so this is the pinnacle of professional wrestling? No.. THIS" he points to Hollywood Hogan's WCW belt, "This is the pinnacle of professional wrestling"

see i kind of see why vince rushed it at the time there was no guarantee that vince would been able to get all top name stars on the roster at one time the jobbers yeah cuz they needed a job no pun intended

I believe they rushed the inVasion angle because ratings were declining and were especially bad once Steve Austin went heel. Once both HHH AND Benoit went down with injuries, ruining their summer plans, they pretty much had no choice. Doesn't mean they had to job out WCW though.

Ryback shouldn't have been rushed to main event. I personally thought he sucked, but he was over and could've been in the upper midcard spot where Sheamus/ADR are. A few loses to Punk were fine, but he never got revenge on the Shield before they rushed him into heeldom and fed him to Cena. I mean, in the long run, it really helped the Shield out which I'd gladly take over Ryback, but they didn't have to completely screw him either.

Axel...there's nothing to be done. They did really undercut him at first and they could've booked him stronger after his repackaging but they can't magically make him charismatic and interesting.

Steiner was just a bad fit. HHH was mostly immobile at that point after his quad injury, and he wasn't far off from having his throat crushed by Van Dam, so he wasn't having many good matches with guys not named Shawn Michaels. Steiner I think as mentioned, was working hurt too, so pairing them together was doomed to fail. I actually don't know where Steiner would've fit in...but anywhere but the spot they stuck him in would've worked better.

The funny thing about Ryback is, is that his momentum was derailed because of Cena, even though Cena never even directly did anything wrong. Ryback was being built like Goldberg (even though some hated it for the push "taking so long to amount to anything.) It was different, fresh at the time. He for months was establishing himself at a smooth pace, only to senselessly get thrown into the WWE title scene when Cena got hurt. The injury to John decided Ryback was ready, not storytelling. 6 months all summed up with a low blow from a referee. It was a quick fix for WWE, permanent destiny for Ryback.

Axel can't recover from his infamous NXT promo.

I don't see shit in Curtis Axel, whatsoever. Ryback, however, I feel like he'll be a future World Champion. Turning Ryback heel was a bad idea, in my opinion. Though, the "bully" gimmick he had was gold for the short amount of time it lasted, but probably wouldn't have taken him too far as a possible main event guy. He should have faced Big Show for the World title at WM29, and won.

Only good thing about Curtis Axel is the fact that he doesn't have that horrible McGillicutty last name anymore.

If anything, Axel and Ryback are now both in the perfect place(no pun intended). Both are neither real made for the main event. If this would have been 2006/2007 both would have been released a long time ago, i'm glad they both found their rightful place in the WWE now.

I always felt like they rushed Ryback to the Main Event. He wasn't ready, other than his overness. Squashing local wrestlers a fraction of his size for six months straight to apparently being a threat to CM *censored*ing Punk, who was the biggest heel in the company and the WWE Champion in his eleventh month? Nah, he had work to do in the ring, on the mic. Turning him heel was downright stupid but I still feel like properly building him to a Main Eventer would have been beneficial, instead of taking advantage of his overness and skyrocketing him to the top scene.

Ryder - the BS in early 2012.

Punk - Having Nash get involved in the Summer of Punk

Bryan - Making him chant "YES!" and giving him his current theme

Christian - The BS during the Summer of Punk

Ryback - Moving him up to the main event so soon.

Jesse & Festus - Should have been the ones to beat Hawkins & Ryder for the tag belts in 2008.

Ryder, Kane after his WHC run, Pushing Del Rio in general, Summer Of Punk, WM30 Streak come to mind.

I agree with all except the bolded. Del Rio was actually great in his first few months. It was only after they drafted him to RAW that his character went to shit.

They just shouldn't have thrown all of those world titles, the briefcase and the Rumble onto him like that.

Ryder, Kane after his WHC run, Pushing Del Rio in general, Summer Of Punk, WM30 Streak come to mind.

I agree with all except the bolded. Del Rio was actually great in his first few months. It was only after they drafted him to RAW that his character went to shit.

They just shouldn't have thrown all of those world titles, the briefcase and the Rumble onto him like that.

True. The fact that he became a 2-time WWE Champion, a Royal Rumble winner & a Money in the Bank Holder all the same year was a bit much. That's more than what some people do in their entire careers.

Steiner should have been brought in as Takers wife's stalker instead of DDP while DDP could have been put in a program with The Rock.

Steiner should have never been a face what so ever.

Wasn't Steiner Test's bitch for a while?

Archived