Favorite Live Performances

sam the d00d

So I searched and I surprisingly didn't find a topic for this. Just post favorite live performances of songs. Can be bits from concerts/festivals, talk shows, radio shows, promotional stuff just anything that's live.

I think this performance is really heartwarming.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdLY6GRF6X0[/media]

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bu782bNy1X0

solely for the lolzy af zoom-ins

this is also very crucial footage for scene historians in dating the various eras of scene - note that this w00d obvs be categorized in The Institute of Scene Research's archives under the 'pre-scene' category, via the absence of neon, skinny jeans or impact font/'oversized cartoon animal eating an ice cream cone' design t-shirts, but at the same time we can observe that the 'proto-scene hair' aesthetic had already begun to take shape - wow this can certainly be deemed a very critical moment in the scene timeline, I must now return to my periodicals - issues of alternative press from 2004

22 December 1988

Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Disappointed

Interesting Drug

Suedehead

The Last Of The Famous International Playboys

Sister I'm A Poet

Death At One's Elbow

/Sweet And Tender Hooligan

This first solo Morrissey show was also unofficially meant as a farewell Smiths concert. The musicians backing Morrissey were ex-Smiths Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, as well as once Smiths #5 Craig Gannon filling in as lead guitarist. The setlist featured a mix of Morrissey songs with Smiths tracks from 1987, so none of it had been performed in front of a live audience before. It had been decided at the time to only play Smiths tracks that had never been done live with Johnny during the Smiths days.

Admission was free to anyone wearing a Smiths or Morrissey shirt. Only half the fans who traveled to Wolverhampton made it inside the venue. Outside the queuing and organisation almost turned to chaos. The atmosphere inside was obviously very charged. There was a great deal of cheering and chanting Morrissey's name to the English football tune. Throughout the short set many fans made it on stage, much more than for a typical Smiths concert.

Morrissey came on stage to a thunder of applause, after a long period of cheering and chanting. In the first song, "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", he sang "And so I drank one, or was it four?" instead of "... it became four". He actually sang that line as it had been originally written and not as it appeared on "Strangeways Here We Come". Before "Interesting Drug" which had yet to be released and was unknown to the fans, Morrissey started "This song is called..." but never managed to finish his introduction. In that song just like in the previous one, "Disappointed", Morrissey missed many lines because of the mayhem with the fans on stage.

Just before "Suedehead", as the band was waiting for Craig Gannon to be ready, Mike Joyce teased the fans with a few notes of the drum intro to "The Queen Is Dead" (the song would not be performed by Morrissey for another 9 years) and Morrissey told the audience "love you all". Morrissey changed the "oh so many illustrations" line in "Suedehead" to "Oh so many blank pages". Before "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" he started "I'd like to say hello..." but did not finish his line and instead introduced the next song.

Before "Death At One's Elbow" Morrissey finally managed to say what he had originally started: "I'd like to say hello to Julian and hello to Mouse, your mother's letter arrived today, she has a good hand...". Morrissey changed a line in the latter number from "you'll slip on the trail of my bespattered remains" to "you'll slip on the trail of all of my entrails". After that number and its final lines "Goodbye my love, goodbye my love", Morrissey just said "goodbye" and everyone left the stage. They were called back with much insistence and performed one more song, a very rocking "Sweet And Tender Hooligan".

The backstage passes on this date featured famous Carry On actor Charles Hawtrey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmOjnTg3Zg

The DCD live is probably one of my personal favourite live performances of all time. I think they're such a special band. The Morrissey one I had read about for a long time but didn't know it was filmed in such good quality. A historic performance.

Not a full thing but news story about the Jesus And Mary Chain infamous live performance at the North London Poly 1985.

"They've been barred from the premesis of their own record company because they picked the presidents pocket on their first visit." :lol:

No video but High Rise live in Paris in 1998.

Also mentions to the MC5 for KOTJ, one of the best live albums of all time.

Archived