"Tomorrow's Champions" in 2009h

Counting Lights

Hey guys, so I was looking through my old WWE Magazine's and found one focused around future stars from 2009. It had a poster in it of the stars they penned in as the next big things, and I thought it'd be cool to compare where they were to where they are now, 5 years later.

http://www.unchained-wwe.com/gallery/john-morrison/tomorrowschampions_thumb.jpg

From left to right, we have

DH Smith-At the time a contender for the tag titles, now not in WWE after a tag title run.

Cody Rhodes-In Legacy at the time, has had a pretty great tag team and midcard career thus far.

Evan Bourne-At the time was going from jobbing to midcard title shots and back, has been on the shelf for over a year.

Dolph Ziggler-At the time contending for the IC title, now has had a great midcard career and has been on the brink of main eventing time after time.

John Morrison-At the time was IC champion coming off World title match a few months prior, now not in WWE anymore(although the two years that followed saw him on the cusp of the main event.

Jack Swagger-At the time competing for the US title, would win MitB a few months later. Has held the US and World title since then and is now a solid tag team performer.

Tyson Kidd-At the time was in tag team contention, and has fluctuated from the tag division to jobbing since his title reign with Smith.

Ted Dibiase-In Legacy at the time, since he split he contended for multiple midcard titles(albeit never winning) but retired from pro wrestling last year.

Kofi Kingston-At the time, just lost the US title to The Miz and entered a feud with Orton, now he has had a very successful midcard and tag team career, and has shown several attempts at bursting into the main event.

The Miz-At the time was starting his first US title reign, since then he has become arguably the most successful wrestler on the poster, winning every title in WWE(save for the World title) and main eventing WrestleMania. Has been in a slump since losing the IC title last year.

What were your expectations for each of these wrestlers? Did they exceed your expectations? Or did they disappoint you?

yeah he prob would of had one if he had balls but he didnt[/quote

Well depends f rumors r true on why he was fired then yes I no he doesnt have any

You can tell when a man has balls?

He got heat for giving Trish the cold shoulder at Mania. He didn't get fired either, he chose to not resign his contract.

I remember saying DiBiase would be the more successful one out of him and Cody. I even predicted him to be a future World champion. Safe to say I have poor foresight.

Out of everyone on the list, Morrison had the most potential to be successful. He had "the look," he was solid in the ring (with flashy moves to impress the kids.) and he had more fans than anyone on the list. If he wasn't so bad on the mic and completely whipped by his girlfriend, he could be a former world champion and an upper-mid carder by now.

I wish Morrison was still in WWE. I've always said he could have been the next Jeff Hardy had they gone all the way with him early-2011.

Most of the guys there did well and have come/came far, although they dropped the ball on quite a few of those...

I never believed Miz would win the WWE title, let alone main event WrestleMania and be good whilst doing it. He's fallen off hard though, I mean he switches from face to heel and hasn't had a storyline in months. He's gotten irrelevant.

I thought Morrison would become the next Shawn Michaels. He should've turned heel though, since he was pretty shitty on the mic as a face. Then, he should've become World Champion because he would've been entertaining on both departments.

Back in ECW, I thought Jack Swagger would be the next big thing, feuding against top guys like Cena, HHH and Edge, but for some reason, he fell off. His WHC reign wasn't good at all and he was booked really bad. Thanks to Zeb Colter (who was desperately needed), his career was revitalized and he's been good to watch (even though Cesaro kinda overshadowed him in the Real Americans).

I never saw Ziggler as more than a midcarder, but he proved me wrong in 2011 during his feud against Edge. I'm glad he's a multiple time World Champion now, but he hasn't really had a fair chance to prove himself as a main eventer yet. However, he definitely exceeded my expectations.

I thought Kofi would ascend to main event status during his feud against Orton, but he became the midcard equivalent to Cena instead (although much more fun to watch). He has the potential to be more though, he should be given a chance in the main event, although I can't see that happening with the Unified World Titles anytime soon.

I predicted that Evan Bourne would be a multiple time IC/US Champion by now, but oh well, I'm glad he at least won the Tag Titles. It's a shame he'll probably be getting released as soon as his contract expires though.

I never thought about the individual careers of the Hart Dynasty, since there was no point to break them up. Both are great wrestlers, but neither were/are good talkers, although I thought Tyson Kidd had more potential. I don't see why he shouldn't be US/IC Champion with a mouthpiece by his side.

Cody has exceeded my expectations, whilst Ted went the other way. I always thought that Ted would be the breakout guy of Legacy to be honest.

Same here. I didn't think Cody would amount to anything, but he quickly won me over with his Dashing gimmick and then his Undashing gimmick, under which he cut great promos that were comparable to Mankind's promos.

While I think it's too early that he's seemingly turning heel again, I'm all for it if it means they do more with him. He can definitely be World Champion someday.

I remember some people wanting Ted to be the one who ends the streak, which speaks volumes on the high expectations many had on him. He never met them though, face or heel.

Archived