Midcard Title Unification Idea - Building Talent

The D

I wanted to put this in a WrestleMania discussion, but I couldn't find one, so I have a separate topic; sorry if it doesn't seem worth it.

So, with a few guys said to be walking out and many guys heading towards retirement, WWE need to start building stars more than ever. The US Title is just a prop and doesn't mean anything and the IC Title is barely relevant, so unification seems like a good idea to me.

So, here's my idea...

Mark Henry gets a shot at the US Title. The Shield has a miscommunication and Ambrose ends up losing the US Title to Mark Henry. This creates more interest in the US Title having a main eventer such as Henry holding it and he's not doing anything at the moment anyway. Also, it creates more tension within The Shield.

Mark Henry can defend at Elimination Chamber against someone, such as Ryback. A tough match but Henry comes out on top. Big E can defend the IC Title against Fandango or something; Big E retains.

Mark Henry and Big E set up a unification match at WrestleMania. You can either make it a student vs teacher program, turn Henry heel again, or have it as a game of one-up-manship, such as Ryback and Henry at WM last year and have Henry and Big E both doing crazy feats of strength and trying to one up each other.

Anyway, Big E beats Henry at WrestleMania in a quick but REALLY physical match. I mean, Big E getting Henry up for the Big Ending would be a great WM moment. Henry passes the torch to Big E (maybe Henry retires?), plus we get one main midcard title held by a new star.

Boom.

I don't think it would work. The IC and US titles are just horribly used and badly booked. Chances are that the unified midcard title will be just as horribly used and badly booked.

Well, the idea would work perfectly; I see no flaw. I cannot guarantee however, that the title would be used correctly. :P

The thing that kind've baffles me about the midcard, is that the Shield's entire WWE run has been as close to perfect as you can get, so why is that level of interest and care not applied throughout the entire division? Instead of the US title basically being inactive and the IC champion being used as a JTTS, both guys should be protected and be involved with their own storylines. Your idea is great and is something I have fantasy booked myself, but without creative, Vince, or whoever actively caring about the midcard, it'll remain in the state it's in.

I think Mark vs. Big E. IS pretty much what WWE is gunning for. Sure, he lost via disqualification on his return, but they can always have Ambrose lose the US Title in the go-home show to Elimination Chamber, to have the emotions run high and to foreshadow a Shield break up, which is what I think will happen.

I'm fine with the idea, but really, I'd rather there remain to be two midcard titles. They struggle at building a credible division when they have two titles they can build a division each around, I can't even imagine the mess of a midcard it would be when there's only one title. This just means going from bad to worse for me, as far as the division is concerned.

If they want the midcard to get over, they'd give them STORYLINES! They gave Bryan a cool storyline with Kane and he's now the most over guy in wrestling worldwide. Cody and Goldust had that big story with The Authority and they get some of the biggest pops night in and night out. The fans need a reason to care about these people... I've made the point before but I'll make it here again, heels in WWE Today aren't real heels. The only hellish things they do is go to the ring without high-fiving the fans and they act cocky, the same thing John Cena does and he's the personification of baby face. If they gave those heels some story lines, they'll have an opportunity to do something truly heel and have the fans hate them.

Thankfully, some guys like Cesaro are beginning to get over due to their wrestling ability, because if they weren't as great in the ring as they are, the fans wouldn't give a shit because they haven't been given a reason to care about them.

If the Blue Meanie was doing nothing but wrestling in 1999 would he have gotten over? *Censored* no. At first, he was with Goldust feuding with Ken Shamrock, while having a mini-fued with Ryan Shamrock who was also aligned with Goldust. After that he turned on Goldust and feuded with him as Bluedust.

And it was *censored*ing over because they wanted to see Bluedust, these creepy bastard who'd betrayed his "mother" Goldust get the *Censored* beat out of him. And do you know what the pay-of was? We saw Meanie get his arse kicked! If they did that in WWE today, the fans would *censored*ing love it because we've been stripped of any proper non-main event feuds for the past 8 years!

/rant.

Its not a bad idea, but for the moment i'd like Ambrose to keep the title beyond Wrestlemania. Imagine the heat he will start to generate with no titles defenses until after mania? Reigns could challenge and beat him getting him insanely over by virtue of the fact that he is a fighting champion.

Unification should probably be left for next year if they are doing it at all. The WWE World title unfication is still fresh in peoples mind, No point in midcard unfication for a while.

I personally don't understand how having one title is going to be harmful to the division. You could have twenty titles and it wouldn't make any difference; the man makes the title, the title doesn't make the man. The US Title is literally nothing at the moment; it's merely a part of Ambrose's attire. Aladdin Poo (nice name) is dead right, you need storylines.

If you treat the unification as a fresh start and have ONE title with a main storyline around it, how is that any worse off than we are at the moment with having a IC Title that doesn't really matter and a US Title that hardly even exists.

I've always been an advocate of having one major title per tier (especially as everyone is now on one show) because it makes that one title more prestigious.

Less championships, less people going for them, less superstars doing something, less potential future big stars. If anything, we need more titles. They just need to actually use them.

I originally thought they should be unified, but I'd rather prefer that the IC title becomes what the World championship was. Example; they want to push Cesaro, but there's no way they're going to thrust him into the upper echelon immediately. A few years ago, they would have won the WHC to get them there, but that's what the IC title becomes. The US title can just be their title for any hotshot they want to give the ball (i.e. an Axel, a Fandango, etc.)

Less championships, less people going for them, less superstars doing something, less potential future big stars. If anything, we need more titles. They just need to actually use them.

Fewer*

But once again, the man makes the title; the title doesn't make the man. Giving everyone a championship does nothing. Hell, look at Ziggler... Multi-time IC, US and World Champ and that's not helping his career at all, infact it makes him look like he's lost a step rather than winning the big one when there's a proper storyline for him.

Fewer*

But once again, the man makes the title; the title doesn't make the man. Giving everyone a championship does nothing. Hell, look at Ziggler... Multi-time IC, US and World Champ and that's not helping his career at all, infact it makes him look like he's lost a step rather than winning the big one when there's a proper storyline for him.

Agreed, the same can be said of Kofi. A ten-time champion.

More championship is bad. The amount of titles was perfect before the World Heavyweight merged with WWE, you had two main event titles, two midcard titles, one tag team title, and one diva's title for each show, and two titles could be used on both shows. Brand split would do so much benefit to the titles and wrestlers again.

More championship is bad. The amount of titles was perfect before the World Heavyweight merged with WWE, you had two main event titles, two midcard titles, one tag team title, and one diva's title for each show, and two titles could be used on both shows. Brand split would do so much benefit to the titles and wrestlers again.

They haven't got a strong enough roster to warrant a brand split.

It's how you get a strong roster & make stars. Keeping guys like Cena & Orton on RAW means more time for guys like Big E Langston & Antonio Cesaro on SmackDown! I'm willing to bet that without the brand split, Edge wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as he was.

The brands aren't strong enough to have a split is correct. I mean, back in the Ruthless Aggression era people watched both RAW and Smackdown. Both brands were stacked with big names from top to bottom. Nowadays people barely watch Smackdown. Its just not the same anymore like it was back in 03-06. Now that could be WWE's fault for how their going about doing things but what is honestly the difference? Have things really changed since the Attitude Era-RA? Is this more the WWE fault or the wrestlers? People say the talent is much better than in the past which may be true. But alot of these guys LACK character. Its hard to connect to alot of these guys and hence ratings are lower than in the past. WWE is Entertainment first, Wrestling second. Thats why in the past they succeeded. The characters were all connectible even to the jobbers. Like the OP said, the man makes the title. Back in the day you didnt even need a title to be relevant. These wrestlers just need to step their game up when given the opportunity. This is why you continue to see Cena, Orton etc and this is why you continue to see old guys get pushed.

They need to build the roster. Have Cena go to Smackdown! with more upcoming and rising stars to help build them, while Randy and Bryan can stay on Raw. It's better than unifying titles.

Archived