Football Thread

Faster Than Light

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of current developments at Bayern. The team was excellent, yet we still are going to see Guardiola doing massive experiments and changes to the team to Barcelonify it. Lahm was used as a midfielder in a recent friendly, some are suggesting that Gotze will be used as a false 9 and lots of people are excited by it, but I can't.

I'm real iffy on it as well. I have faith in Guardiola, but the team was just so amazing and in sync this season, it'd be a shame to change it up too much by bringing in loads of new players and having the old ones re-adjust to a potentially totally different play-style. The 4-2-3-1 had just started working really well, the players constantly knew where everyone else was and were going, making for some excellent plays. I have a hard time seeing where players who've been injured a good deal of the season coming back, like Kroos and Badstuber.. Gomez being injured and losing his first-pick status is what I see as the reason he ended up going to Fiorentina. when he got on the pitch he was amazing as usual.

In Guardiola's defence, however, while they are facing unknown/low-level pre-season teams; the results do prove to be really impressive in comparison to the likes of Manchester United's 1-0 loss to Singha All-Stars or Manchester City's defeat. While he looks to be completely shifting the direction of Bayern Munich [with Ribery even talking about a '4-1-4-1' formation being discussed about & utilised in their sessions], it does not mean the team is proving to be any less spectacular with his re-shifting.

I guess I cannot jump to conclusions quick enough, on the other hand, as the Super Cup will tell whether Pep's team can do as much justice on the pitch against Mourinho's as it did against the Barcelona that Pep left behind for Roura to work with.

I will say that I do not agree so much with Thiago's signing, though. On one hand, I really like how he's stepped out of Barcelona to another large club since he may still get to prove his potential at a club that can help him expose his talent. However, adding to the midfield only stresses the options rather than broadening them.

Now, Pep will have to drop a couple of really good midfielders that do not deserve to be sitting on the benches when the new season begins. If he benches Thiago, it may be seen as a waste of money considering he was doing the exact same at the club where he became another talented academy product.

As expected United's bid was rejected by Barca as Cesc wants to stay.

Also it seems that Nani could be staying with us as well and I'd be quite happy with that if he could improve his consistency and start performing like he did during the 2010/11 season (I think it was his best in terms of assist for us).

Eriksen is desperate for us to bid for him.

Does he not operate in the hole, just off the main striker? Surely that spot is where you'll want Coutinho? Seemed great through the middle from what I saw. He's rejected Zenit & Lekerkusen I believe.

Lou Macari is an absolute moron of a man. Here's a quote on his comments to Talksport. :facepalm:

Lou Macari: "What Fellaini gives you, which Fabregas doesn't, is goals."

This is also the same idiot who implied on MUTV during the Euro U21's that Thiago wasn't better than Fellani or any of our current midfield. :lol:

Eriksen is desperate for us to bid for him.

Does he not operate in the hole, just off the main striker? Surely that spot is where you'll want Coutinho? Seemed great through the middle from what I saw. He's rejected Zenit & Lekerkusen I believe.

Coutinho on the left, easily done.

I thought he wanted to leave because of Edinson due to the rumours having circulated [well, for me, anyway] about Ibra leaving being at the same time reporters claimed PSG were close to getting Cavani.

Also, in Barcelona; I remember Guardiola & Ibra beginning to have a shaky relationship when Pep had begun to use Messi alongside Ibra. One of my friends even told me that Messi told Pep: "It's either me or him. You have to choose." So, yeah. I thought that because of that experience, Ibra felt from there on that it was best for him to be a lone striker in whatever team he plays for.

Archived