Batman: Arkham Origins

Austin ツ

5wcbbb.jpg

Warner Bros. has announced the next title in the Batman: Arkham franchise will be Batman: Arkham Origins, currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.

It's currently slated for release on October 25 this year, but there's no mention of the game appearing on next-gen consoles.

The game, which is the subject of Game Informer's latest cover, will not be developed by Rocksteady Studios this time around, instead being worked on in-house at Warner Bros. Games Montreal.

The new development team will be using many of the assets that Rocksteady has used in the past, including its customised Unreal engine so as to try and avoid any discrepancies in the aesthetic of the franchise. Eric Holmes, lead designer of games including The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype, is heading up the project.

The game will apparently take place long before both of the existing Arkham titles, when a young and inexperienced Batman will encounter many familiar villains for the first time. As can be seen in the Game Informer imagery, the assassin Deathstroke will be one such foe, making his core Arkham game debut.

Alongside the console game though, Warner Bros. has also announced a handheld title, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. The game, which will be released on PS Vita and 3DS again on October 25, is set after the events of Arkham Origins and is being developed by Armature Studio, the company that was founded by several of the brains behind the Metroid Prime trilogy. With this in mind, it's not too surprising to find it described as a "2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game".

Source: IGN.com

I'm pretty excited, but at the same time I'm not too sure about this, kind of worried since Rocksteady won't be developing this time around, but I'm trying to stay positive since change isn't always a bad thing and they're keeping the combat style and Unreal Engine from Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if not having NPC civilians will be a positive impact on the mood and atmosphere of the video-game per se. I like the concept, though, I can see that they are attempting to loosely base their own original concept on particular battles that Batman has had in the comics.

I'm happy at Rocksteady not developing it since they claimed Arkham City was their last. It would've made me feel a bit bitter if they broke their promise to develop a prequel.

Ew at Rocksteady not developing. Not as hyped already.

Yeah, thats my thoughts right now... Hopefully they surprise us. But right now, I feel bummed about hearing this.

Plus I'll be jumping next gen a month later so dunno if its worth it.

The 2.5D Metroid style is kind of irking me as I don't know how that'll hold up, but they're pretty versed in that style so shouldn't be a big worry. But the Arkham series of games so far has been a very unique experience that everyone has loved, I don't know how well they do if they change too much in it since this game is such a big title now.

What happened to the game that was suppose to have other DC superheros in it?

I think it was rumored that this game would be when the Justice League formed. Jury's still out on whether that happens, but it doesn't seem likely.

What happened to the game that was suppose to have other DC superheros in it?

I think it was rumored that this game would be when the Justice League formed. Jury's still out on whether that happens, but it doesn't seem likely.

Damn I was getting psyced fly around Arkham as the Green Lantern.

The 2.5D Metroid style is kind of irking me as I don't know how that'll hold up, but they're pretty versed in that style so shouldn't be a big worry. But the Arkham series of games so far has been a very unique experience that everyone has loved, I don't know how well they do if they change too much in it since this game is such a big title now.

The 2.5D game is just the DS and Vita versions of the game. The PS3 and 360 versions will be free roam like Arkham City and Arkham Asylum.

Archived