Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: EVERYONE is here!

God of Lightning

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, they announced that the update adds a create your own stage feature, which looks awesome...and effectively killed the entire Nintendo server in doing so. :lol: I really wanted to download that update and mess around with stage creation tonight. Not a good look for Nintendo and their paid service. Killed the whole damn eshop and everything, just because people are hype about an update for a single game. In my head, there are people running around a room of servers with cartoon fire extinguishers as things spark and smoke. Lol.

Edited by Generations

Servers are back up enjoyed playing as Joker (I don't know who he his though)

Protag of persona 5, part of one of the highest selling and highest rated JRPG series of all time. It just happens to be a PS franchise not Nintendo.

A counter point is that idk who 90% of the roster is.

Joker is to get PS people to get the game. Prob be Master Chief for Xbox next

Edited by Muur

Servers are back up enjoyed playing as Joker (I don't know who he his though)

Protag of persona 5, part of one of the highest selling and highest rated JRPG series of all time. It just happens to be a PS franchise not Nintendo.

Joker is to get PS people to get the game. Prob be Master Chief for Xbox next

wasn't trying to start an argument here. I was simply pointing that out in case people who where considering buying him would know that I really can't tell you how he compares here to how he does in his own game

I could give you the half-dozen Fire Emblem characters that nobody uses (I still don't know why there are so damn many in the game)...but, if you actually don't know 90%, then you just don't know video games.

Anyway, I'm still a holdout for Sora. It would be a perfect time to be like "We're releasing re-masters of the original KH games on Switch, and Sora is coming to Smash".

I don't think we'll get Master Chief, because even though MS and Nintendo have a strong relationship now, that still seems like a stretch. Maybe Steve from Minecraft...but probably not Master Chief. - If I could pick the remaining slots, three of them would definitely be Sora, Steve, and Prince of the Cosmos from Katamari Damacy.

Edited by Generations

I could give you the half-dozen Fire Emblem characters that nobody uses (I still don't know why there are so damn many in the game)...but, if you actually don't know 90%, then you just don't know video games.

come on! Not everyone can know about these Digi-Mons!

Anyway, I'm still a holdout for Sora. It would be a perfect time to be like "We're releasing re-masters of the original KH games on Switch, and Sora is coming to Smash".

I don't think we'll get Master Chief, because even though MS and Nintendo have a strong relationship now, that still seems like a stretch. Maybe Steve from Minecraft...but probably not Master Chief. - If I could pick the remaining slots, three of them would definitely be Sora, Steve, and Prince of the Cosmos from Katamari Damacy.

Sakurai's a FE fanboy + marketing + timing. Corrin was added specifically to advertise Fates, and Awakening saved the franchise.

I highly doubt we'll get Sora just because Disney, and outside of Fire Emblem, Nintendo and more specifically Sakurai really don't seem to factor marketing into character decisions that much, especially for 3rd parties. Hell, we're only just now getting FF7 on Switch despite Cloud coming to Smash years ago.

https://twitter.com/shofu/status/1119424872122208256

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4d_kPnUcAAZhgJ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4edKHrUEAAGe1I.jpg

Edited by God of Lightning

90% is an exaggeration, it's prob closer to 50% or even less than that. But this game seems to have a lot of dead series in it

also, I thought "plauteuna" was some fire emblem girl. seemed like it lol

also not sure what the point of saying digimon was but you do you

persona has actually outsold FE by far. and most series in smash too

also not sure what the point of saying digimon was but you do you

All of these years and you're still lost on Legion's humor :(

Alot of people have heard of Persona but don't have the slightest clue about any of it. Top selling JRPG aside, it's still a niche thing not everybody is down for. Your defense of the series is borderline adorable

These Nintendo characters, a great deal of them, are household names and you don't even have to play games to know the mainstays. The countless number of people, including myself, that didn't even know Joker had a name until this reveal even happened lets you know just how popular outside of any JRPG community he, or anybody from that series, actually is

90% was an exaggeration.

The ones I am/was unaware of:

Ness, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Falco, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Mr Game Watch, Meta Knight, Ike, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, Wolf, Little Mac (although I know what Punch Out is, not who the playable guy is I guess), Palutena, Robin, Shulk, Corrin, Ridley, Simon, Richter

theyre who IDK

as for sales, Persona is close to ten million and has sold a lot more than most franchises in this game.

I just find it funny so many people on forums and such are all "who is this guy, I've never heard of him so that must mean no one has" when in reality they just know Nitendo stuff, and its one of the top rated PS franchises.

The countless number of people, including myself, that didn't even know Joker had a name until this reveal even happened lets you know just how popular outside of any JRPG community he, or anybody from that series, actually is

shame they don't use his actual name in the game, but I guess Red doesn't have his name either.

At least Yu Narukamii and Miikoto Yuki made it too tho

and again, those "countless numbers" are just because theyre Nintendo fans. If Persona was a Nintendo franchise, no one would act this way lol. if it does get a port to Switch, it'd prob win the 2019 Switch game of the year award

Edited by Muur

I'm fairly certain a large amount of those sales come from P4 and it's spinoffs and close to 10 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things. P5 on it's own is only over 2 million and I think that's one of if not the best selling ATLUS games. A large portion of those characters (like Metroid and Castlevania) are icons whose legacies extent well beyond just the sales of their games. Hell, MetroidVania is a damn genre. Not to mention you have characters like Captain Falcon whose legacy is largely based around Smash and Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate have all individually sold more than the entire Persona series combined. Same goes for Ice Climbers and Game & Watch.

Marth and Roy in Melee introduced a shit ton of people to Fire Emblem and the Awakening characters are from the game that saved the franchise and made it one of Nintendo's top series.

Kirby and Meta Knight are not only Sakurai's creations, but from another top Nintendo franchise + an anime that ran for a good while on 4kids.

Shiek is from one of the most highly praised video games of all time. You not knowing who these characters are really says more about you than those games.

Also, define most. Just from a few random google searches, you have stuff like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit (individual games) selling more than the entirety of Persona. Metroid and Kirby also have it beat. Then there's the obvious stuff. From the little bit I've seen, the only stuff Persona's outdoing is the newer series with not that many games like Xenoblade or Bayonetta and some of the dormant stuff stuff that hasn't have a game in over a decade

Series that've sold more than Persona

-Mario

-Pokemon

-Zelda

-Kirby

-Metroid

-Street Fighter

-Metal Gear

-Sonic

-Megaman

-Mii series

-Wii Fit

-Duck Hunt

-Donkey Kong

-*censored*ing Splatoon with just 2 games

-Yoshi

-Animal Crossing

-Final Fantasy (the 2nd biggest JRPG franchise on the planet behind Pokemon)

-Pac-Man

-CastleVania

Yeah that's nowhere near "most"

As for other JRPG, it's a niche genre with only a few heavy hitters, and even then, Persona isn't even in the top 5. Main series Pokemon games individually outsell the entire Persona franchise. Then you have Final Fantasy, Tales, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts.

Edited by God of Lightning

• 1 month later...