Game Of Thrones (No Book Spoilers)

TheHavoc

well ok, if they are not phoning it in, then they are just doing shitty work.

Like, come on, there is no denying that the quality of the show has been declining for years... And ok fine there can be a number of reasons... But last weeks episode was just a complete cinematic or television mess, for real.

Even if you take out the story and character criticism, because to me, that can be debatable... in terms of expectations and what not. I felt so bored and stupid for watching it. It wasn't even fun...

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well ok, if they are not phoning it in, then they are just doing shitty work.

Like, come on, there is no denying that the quality of the show has been declining for years... And ok fine there can be a number of reasons... But last weeks episode was just a complete cinematic or television mess, for real.

Even if you take out the story and character criticism, because to me, that can be debatable... in terms of expectations and what not. I felt so bored and stupid for watching it. It wasn't even fun...

Yeah, I think the show's gotten harsh criticism since season 7, if not season 6, when they stopped going by GRRM's writing for the most part. Episode 3 of the season was pretty bad, but I think this may be worse. Feels rushed.

Varys turned on Dany way too quickly, honestly, and Cersei just acted way out of her character. Tyrion also seems to be bending backwards for Cersei despite the fact that she rigged the trial and tried her best to have him killed.

Episode 5 of GoT

This episode just feels too weird and unsatisfying. Cersei's death came too easily, with rocks falling on her when she deserves at least a sword slicing her neck open. The war felt too short, given how Cersei equalized the playing field. I guess they had to asspull the other dragon being killed just so it'd be a bit longer otherwise the two dragons would have ended shit.

Dany going batshit crazy and murderous was so weird and left a bad taste in my mouth, especially with how quickly she became destructive and the opposite of who she wanted to be two seasons ago. I dunno, I'm not a fan of this quick change at all, and especially with how quick she was to execute Varys instead of even trying to discuss with him.

Tyrion's stupidity is so weird as well. Like, why does he keep giving Cersei chances when that same person was trying to kill him? I can understand him not wanting to take King's Landing by force or hurt innocent people like he did when Stannis tried to invade, but to try and help Cersei live to the point that he'd free Jaime. he should be more than happy to let Cersei die or at least not trust her.

the only good thing about this episode was the moment between Sandor and Arya, and the end of Sandor and Gregor, as much as I'll miss Sandor. Poor Arya's gotten PTSD from the war, probably, and I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up killing Dany if Jon doesn't do it. I love Arya and Sandor's relationship.

Fight between Euron and Jaime was good, but it feels weird that Jaime could survive two stabs for that long. Euron's brag was hilarious given no one will know who slayed the Kingslayer, and the fact that Jaime died from rocks falling.

At least one more shitty episode to go through.

https://twitter.com/okarinrintarou/status/1127766507310731264

Definitely not enough Cersei this season, but her death was fine. Her character was always about her thinking she was smarter and more cunning than she actually is. She never once thought Dany would burn the city to the ground and she was so sure of herself in the Red Keep. She would never burn thousands of people and destroy the capital. But she does and Cersei is *censored*ed regardless.

Good episode. Im so happy the city and the red keep were burned to the ground, I never thought they would survive the show (or the books for that matter.) It was always going to happen. Im so glad Dany had her switch flipped. Her being insane with revenge just makes me like her even more.

Finally seeing the Mountain in all his Frankenstein glory was fun. Im sad that The Hound died, but I suppose it was always going to happen. He had nowhere really to go after all this. He doesnt exactly have a home, thats why he joined with the Brotherhood in the first place. Im happy that he was able to give Arya a final piece of advice. Im enjoying her arc of finding her humanity again. She doesnt just need to kill kill kill all the time. Shes a human, she can help people.

Lots of stuff to wrap up next week and I have no idea how they are going to do it, but if it doesnt end with Sansa becoming queen in the north then I will be mightily upset.

Good episode. I can see where people come from with their complaints, but man is the internet incredibly toxic with this show right now. Just enjoy it for what it is. Its still good.

I thought this was the best episode of the season. Cleganebowl was the best part of the season so far, it was genuinely an awesome fight and the end was amazingly fitting too, for both. Speaking of which, Qyburn's death had me in stitches.

Seen a lot of complaints about how they turned Dany into a full-blown heel but she was one of the few characters I thought they handled well. She always had a dark side to her and she gradually lost everyone she loved and/or who kept her under control (Drogo, Viserion, Jorah, Rhaegal, Missandei, etc.). To an extent, Jon, Tyrion and Varys betrayed her too and her finally snapping made perfect sense, although I just wish they'd have done it a bit sooner and not in the penultimate episode of the series.

My biggest two gripes with the episode/season:

1. Cersei: Just a crime how they handled her throughout the season. After a decade, we all knew her to be a lot better than someone that goes down without a fight, yet that's exactly what happened. She had nothing up her sleeve and that was the biggest disappointment. She always used to manage to pull something out of the hat but here she basically fought a losing battle with no game plan. All the hype for the Golden Company and for what? And she certainly deserved a better death than being crushed under rubble ffs.

2. Jaime: Where do I start? There's no character they managed to ruin worse than him. They worked hard for 6 consecutive seasons building up his redemption arc only for him to abandon everything and go back to square one, go back to Cersei. Sure, you can put some sort of lame "love conquers all" spin to it, but the fact of the matter is they threw his entire character development over the course of the series out of the window, which is ironic, considering he threw Bran out of the window in the very episode of GoT too. I was genuinely hoping he'd do the needful and be the one to kill Cersei because that's how well they had built him up over the years but instead he just randomly decided, after all this time, that he only cares about Cersei and met his end alongside her in the most underwhelming of ways.

Read a lot of negative comments about how poor they were with handling the Night King story and, while I could see where that was coming from, they at least foreshadowed how he would die and it made sense. But man oh man did they do Jaime dirty. There's really no way I can excuse the writing for him over the last 2 episodes because it completely ruined all the hard work over the last 6 seasons.

What hype for the golden company? :lol: They were nameless and faceless extras just used as a plot device.

And what writing do you need to find an excuse for Jaime for? Did you think him and Brienne were just going to live happily ever after in the north? No that was never going to happen. Just because people have feelings for each other doesnt mean things will instantly be fine and in working order. Jaime had major baggage and that baggage were Cersei and the baby. He was going to be a dad... he wasnt about to just start a new life with Brienne. They had sex and there is some romance between them I get it, but thats not enough. Not enough to override Jaimes actual life. He had to go back to protect his unborn child and the woman hes literally spent his entirely life with (however you interpret that).

Idk what people thought was going to happen when him. He and Cersei were always going to die together. They wrote a very real dynamic there and Im not sure why people are mad with it. That kind of thing happens every day with people.

The reinforcements that were all this time supposed to fight Cersei's battle (the be-all-end-all battle that's been hyped from the get go) were hardly extras. What was even their point and why did she even want them to fight for her if they were extras? The show clearly made it out that they'd do at least something (the bare minimum) yet we didn't even get that.

I'm not even talking about him and Brienne. He knew all this time that he was going to be a father yet there was no implication whatsoever that he cared enough to go back. He stayed to fight against the White Walkers and he stayed after that too until suddenly deciding that he needed to be with Cersei. The show made it clear that he never stopped loving Cersei but put his word and principles above it. There was nothing to suggest he was even interested in going back to her at all until he just finally snuck out to be with her... despite knowing all along she was doomed. It was an awkward, rushed decision and a complete 360 from what they had written him to be.

The whole point was that the best money can buy is nothing against the fire of a dragon. None of the armies really factored into this massacre, because a dragon is enough. That's how Harrenhal fell. The Golden Company was simply there to boost the Lannister army, since they basically lost all their allies and their best commanders in Randyll Tarly and Jamie.

This is definetly the episode I enjoyed the most this season,along E2. It was done really well.

And I'm glad this is the way they did Cersei and Jamie, because yeah, I the prophecy was fulfilled. If somebody just chopped her head of or whatever, it would be lame. This way, you add some drama, some symbolism... And all in all, it was always about her Jamie, the power she got was a different thing. Same with Jamie, yeah he had a redemption arc, which ended in, well proving that he did what he did, and not much can rectify that. Because he always thought and knew that he simply wasn't a good man, no matter what. It is what it is, it's reality.

They showed Jon Snow character traits really good this time. This is the most I enjoyed him on screen since... I can't remember when :lol:

But Sandor and Gregor... I could always feel his character, and he was done beautifuly in the end. Cleganebowl was better than I expected to be. And them leaping down... I got shivers really. This is where Arya comes in also. He always wanted to show her how to not be like him, and he managed to convince her. Her finally helping people instead of killing them was so good for her story.

Tbh, if you would cut the part with the NK in her story, that's all there is needed. It was rounded really well with this.

Goes to show even more how they failed miserably with the Night King, shouldn't have even written him in the show if they had zero clue what to do with him.

The only reason why Dany flipping of felt weird is because of previous writing. I mean, it was always going to happen. And them killing Missandei, the Varys betrayal and Jons "betrayal" actually made her flip off, and the realization that she could only use fear. But yeah, the setup was poorly done. It's on them.

Tyrion and Jamie moment was emotional also.

Low-key hoped for Jamie to kill Cersei and wait for Dany while sitting on the throne, with Cersei's dead body in front of him

Also: Am I the only one thinking that Euron is not actually dead yet?

the way Jaime said he didn't care about anyone else but Cersei left a horrible taste in my mouth, especially when seasons before he told Brienne he betrayed his king and broke his oath to protect the people that would have been burned alive because of the Mad King. That was an amazing scene, and now it feels meaningless.

Dany's descent into the dark side was way too rushed, or at least that's what it felt like. Should have gone after Cersei, not the whole town.

Cersei still needed to die in a horrible way.

Also, I'm amused at how Jaime despite being a cripple and a bad swordsman was able to survive against the Walkers, but he got his ass kicked by Euron, and how Euron acted proud as if people would know he beat Jaime at his best when in reality, no one would know or care. and even then, it was the rocks that killed Jaime, not Euron.

Also, I'm amused at how Jaime despite being a cripple and a bad swordsman was able to survive against the Walkers, but he got his ass kicked by Euron, and how Euron acted proud as if people would know he beat Jaime at his best when in reality, no one would know or care. and even then, it was the rocks that killed Jaime, not Euron.

Now I just think you are saying things to troll, but if not wow are you mistaking things heavily.

Remember when Jaime got his hand cut off? That was season three. THREE. Remember when Jaime started training with his other hand? That was season four. FOUR. Jaime was a bad swordsman then, but we have literally seen him get better. Im not sure how you can watch the show from then to now and be completely oblivious to the fact that he has clearly gotten used to using his other hand? :lol: I said this before to you and you ignored it. Jaime lost his hand yes, but he didnt lose his sword fighting knowledge. He didnt just suddenly forget how to fight and how to duel etc, he just needed to get used to do doing it with the other one. Which he did. Is Jaime the most skilled swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms now like he once was? Unfortunately not, but Im not sure why on Earth you think he is STILL bad at sword fighting. He isnt... in fact logic dictates that hes still better than most people have been and most people will ever be. He just had to train again (which he did), but he had the advantage with training because he still retained all the knowledge he was taught growing up. He still retained all the experience from all the fights he has been in. Im not sure how hard that concept is to grasp. You are still stuck in the season 4 mindset that Jaime is a bad swordsman.

Euron is also one of the deadliest fighters in the world. He didnt become the most feared pirate in the 14 seas for no reason. He also fought dirty. And now lets look at the wights. Not Walkers btw. Jaime never fought white walkers, he fought wights. Do you think wights are thinking about where, when and how to strike (even if they are holding a weapon)? No. They are mindless hive monsters who just jump at you. Its not like Jaime had to duel them, he just needed to keep slashing and stabbing like everyone else. Its not hard to believe that he would survive. If you held out long enough with a Valyrian steel sword and his knowledge (which he did) then anyone would probably survive.

Lets go back to Euron. Euron did not act proud as if everyone would know he killed the Kingslayer. He acted proud because HE knew it. You really think Euron cares what people think of him? Not really. Him killing Jaime was all about self gratification. Besides he would have killed Jaime if those rocks hadnt got him first. That dude had some serious organ puncture wounds that he left for too long without getting help, there is no way he was surviving those. For all intents and purpose Euron DID kill Jaime.

I mean really M3J, stop trolling.

Jamie only got stabbed by Euron because he was distracted by trying to reach Cersei in time. No other reason.

He wasn't like...completely incompetent at fighting or anything. He was just saying "c'mon, man...there's no time for this". He was fighting with half his heart, and basically ignoring Euron for the pissant that he was...because he was thinking about leaving the beach and getting to the tower as quickly as he could. It was basically like he already knew that he was going to die on that day, so getting stabbed didn't matter if he could still reach Cersei in time.

Thats right Gen, you got it.

I cant comprehend the mindset that anyone thinks Jaime is a shit swordsman. Have you even watched the show? We literally see him get better and better with his left hand.

Archived