922 replies to this topic

#41 TheHavoc

TheHavoc

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  • Gamertag: CulturalPoet4

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

What can you say about this episode?  :shake: in a good way........

Simply amazing.....When I read that "We" (the non-book readers ) were in for a big surprise I wasn't expecting that...

Edited by #H@voc#, 03 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#42 Herb.

Herb.

Thou shalt think for yourself.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Having read the books, it wasn't much of a surprise to me. It was pretty obvious how it would pan out in the show in regards to the differences between the series so far and the book. Michelle Fairley's acting at the end of the episode looked really awkward though and wasn't that good at all. Think she could of done a little better. The episode in general was pretty good but you could see a massive difference in that episode compared to the book, and imo the way the book worked every POV (other than Arya which was pretty much identical) was better than how they reflected them in the show. Especially the Jon Snow segment, feel like they missed something that was a small detail but at the same time kind of important in regards to the next few episodes he is in. 

#43 RVF

RVF

I just hate the general public.

• Members
  • 14,928 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Spoilers just in case, but that was brilliant television and in what happened.

Spoiler

#44 TheHavoc

TheHavoc

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

Having read the books, it wasn't much of a surprise to me. It was pretty obvious how it would pan out in the show in regards to the differences between the series so far and the book. Michelle Fairley's acting at the end of the episode looked really awkward though and wasn't that good at all. Think she could of done a little better. The episode in general was pretty good but you could see a massive difference in that episode compared to the book, and imo the way the book worked every POV (other than Arya which was pretty much identical) was better than how they reflected them in the show. Especially the Jon Snow segment, feel like they missed something that was a small detail but at the same time kind of important in regards to the next few episodes he is in. 

Speaking from our point of view the episode was pretty...amazing.

But what I cant understand is why people make comparisons between the book and the TV Show?

They are two completely different adaptions from what I heard.

Spoilers just in case, but that was brilliant television and in what happened.

Spoiler

You can't tell me man that you didn't felt a little sympathy for what happened to these characters.

#45 Herb.

Herb.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Spoiler

#46 RVF

RVF

• Members
  • 14,928 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Spoiler

#47 Herb.

Herb.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

But what I cant understand is why people make comparisons between the book and the TV Show?

They aren't different adaptions really. There have been a few subtle changes as you would expect, with additions of scenes that are probably necessary and a lot of cutting out of characters and even the addition of a few characters that aren't in the books. Certain POV characters so far have had their story portrayed almost identically, whilst others have been changed up quite a lot. I guess the only reason I compare them is because I can (unfortunate in many ways). GoT does a brilliant job of getting it right the majority of the time though, and in some ways improves on the books. For instance, Charles Dance as Tywin is beyond perfect and to me adds something to the character that isn't always apparent in the books. Casting in general is brilliant, better than anything I've ever known. Only two I'm not keen on in the TV show is Sansa and Shae, Shae especially as she gets a lot of screen time with Tyrion and is just poor.

#48 TheHavoc

TheHavoc

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

They aren't different adaptions really. There have been a few subtle changes as you would expect, with additions of scenes that are probably necessary and a lot of cutting out of characters and even the addition of a few characters that aren't in the books. Certain POV characters so far have had their story portrayed almost identically, whilst others have been changed up quite a lot. I guess the only reason I compare them is because I can (unfortunate in many ways). GoT does a brilliant job of getting it right the majority of the time though, and in some ways improves on the books. For instance, Charles Dance as Tywin is beyond perfect and to me adds something to the character that isn't always apparent in the books. Casting in general is brilliant, better than anything I've ever known. Only two I'm not keen on in the TV show is Sansa and Shae, Shae especially as she gets a lot of screen time with Tyrion and is just poor.

When I said about different adaptions I meant cause of the little differences that made impact.Such as the wife of Robb and stuff like that..Just to get this clear...

#49 Herb.

Herb.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thought they could of ended that season at a better and more important point, but meh. They've left a lot of good stuff for the next season, which will easily be the best yet. The episode was more of a consolidation, filling in a lot of blanks for people that may not of been completely clear and showing what the intentions will be of a few key characters (i.e Theon's torturer who now becomes an important character for the next season). 

In terms of Jon Snow in that episode,

Spoiler

One thing that irked me a bit throughout that season was how little they used Varys. I still don't think they've really utilised him as much as they should have considering how prominent he is in the book, and he still doesn't come across as being as dangerous and necessary as he is in the book either. 

Anyway, next season I'm definitely looking forward to more Stannis, more Roose & Ramsay Bolton and Jaime. 

#50 RVF

RVF

• Members
  • 14,928 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

I was disappointed that we got so little Jamie and a scene with Daneary's that didn't really accomplish much. She's probably the character I care least about as it all seems to be a rehash of previous stuff and just delaying things until a big battle.

Tywin continues to rule and the stuff with Stannis really changes the direction of the show, which is welcome, as I'm happy to watch another season of Lannister issues play out without the threat of Stannis/Lannister II. We don't need a rematch so soon.

#51 GreenBayPlunge™

GreenBayPlunge™

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Quite surprised this isn't more talked about on here, given how popular The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad threads are. But anyway, I'm crazy excited for the new season. Can't wait to see where they go with Jamie, and him sort of turning into a good guy. Dragons are getting big too! :D

#52 TheHavoc

TheHavoc

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Quite surprised this isn't more talked about on here, given how popular The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad threads are. But anyway, I'm crazy excited for the new season. Can't wait to see where they go with Jamie, and him sort of turning into a good guy. Dragons are getting big too! :D

Me too man ! BUT since I started watching Breaking Bad and finished it the bar is quite high.Not that Game of Thrones is bad But Breaking Bad is a masterpiece and there will be difficult to surpass this

#53 King Slayer

King Slayer

New Talent

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • SEN (PS3): Escolta_M1

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

I just recently started re-watching the series and I still find myself on the edge of my seat for the most part. I never read the books before so my first time watching it there was a lot I didn't understand and a lot of things I didn't expect to happen, happened. What happened to Ned at the end of season one and the "Red Wedding" in particular. Those, to me, were to holy sh*t moments and I was completely thrown for a spin haha. I almost completely swore off of GoT after the "Red Wedding" but the show is so damn good I can't stay away.

Anyway, I'm currently on episode three of the third season and for some reason I find it more enjoyable to watch the second time around as I find myself catching the little things I missed the first time around. I'm glad I decided to re-watch it as its given me a better understanding of what is going on as season four approaches. And if it is anything like the previous three seasons, as far as quality of acting and special effects, I'm sure we will not be left disappointed.

But yeah, after having watched the series I haven't definitely decided to purchase the books and see if I can catch up to the TV series by the time, or before, we reach season five of Game of Thrones. Which I doubt as I've heard the books are massive and I haven't picked up a book in ages haha. But oh well, should be worth a shot.

#54 Herb.

Herb.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

You would catch up and go past it. Season 5 won't be for over another year, maybe two. The books are very easy to get through quick.

#55 Fried

Fried

Ingobernable

• Members
  • 6,999 posts
  • Gamertag: Friedful
  • Twitter: @Friedful

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

I just recently started re-watching the series and I still find myself on the edge of my seat for the most part. I never read the books before so my first time watching it there was a lot I didn't understand and a lot of things I didn't expect to happen, happened. What happened to Ned at the end of season one and the "Red Wedding" in particular. Those, to me, were to holy sh*t moments and I was completely thrown for a spin haha. I almost completely swore off of GoT after the "Red Wedding" but the show is so damn good I can't stay away.

Anyway, I'm currently on episode three of the third season and for some reason I find it more enjoyable to watch the second time around as I find myself catching the little things I missed the first time around. I'm glad I decided to re-watch it as its given me a better understanding of what is going on as season four approaches. And if it is anything like the previous three seasons, as far as quality of acting and special effects, I'm sure we will not be left disappointed.

But yeah, after having watched the series I haven't definitely decided to purchase the books and see if I can catch up to the TV series by the time, or before, we reach season five of Game of Thrones. Which I doubt as I've heard the books are massive and I haven't picked up a book in ages haha. But oh well, should be worth a shot.

Same here, started rewatching recently. Only up to Ep4 of the first season but I agree completely that you pick up a lot of different stuff on second watch. I think sometimes, for me anyway, especially with the few shows I get into it, it can get to be a bit of mad rush to get to the next episode.

I'm not too much into TV but this is really a fantastic show.

#56 King Slayer

King Slayer

New Talent

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

You would catch up and go past it. Season 5 won't be for over another year, maybe two. The books are very easy to get through quick.

That's a relief to hear. I haven't read a novel in quite some time so I don't know how much I'll struggle with it but hopefully not too much.

Same here, started rewatching recently. Only up to Ep4 of the first season but I agree completely that you pick up a lot of different stuff on second watch. I think sometimes, for me anyway, especially with the few shows I get into it, it can get to be a bit of mad rush to get to the next episode.

I'm not too much into TV but this is really a fantastic show.

It really is! When it first came out I remember watching just the first episode on HBO and not really being too intrigued by it. Perhaps because I didn't quite what was going on or who the characters were but I decided that I was going to give the second episode a shot before completely giving up on it. However, before I could I was sent out of town for work and never gave the show a second thought. That was about three years ago or so.

I don't know why I suddenly decided to pick up the first season but I am glad I did. I watched the first season and I was hooked so I bought the second and the third and here I am re-watching them again, haha.

Edited by King Slayer, 26 March 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#57 Herb.

Herb.

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

AFFC can be a difficult read first time but most manage to plow through it and appreciate it more on a second read through.

#58 Fried

Fried

Ingobernable

• Members
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

I'm not a heavy ready of fiction but if at first I found the TV series daunting to get into, I came into it late as always, the books frankly scare me shitless.

I really prefer watching things on DVD when I can get through 2-4 episodes in one sitting. I don't have the patience to wait for a weekly series.

Not sure if it's a popular talking point but does anyone have a favourite house?

#59 King Slayer

King Slayer

New Talent

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

AFFC can be a difficult read first time but most manage to plow through it and appreciate it more on a second read through.

Yeah, I think I've heard of people struggling a bit to read through AFFC but hopefully by the time I reach the fourth book I'm pretty well read and familiar with G.R.R.M's stuff.

I'm not a heavy ready of fiction but if at first I found the TV series daunting to get into, I came into it late as always, the books frankly scare me shitless.

I really prefer watching things on DVD when I can get through 2-4 episodes in one sitting. I don't have the patience to wait for a weekly series.

Not sure if it's a popular talking point but does anyone have a favourite house?

I'm the same way, believe me. I can't stand having to wait an entire week for another episode on any show. Especially if left on a cliff hanger, like GoT likes to do. I'd much rather watch the episodes one right after another, which is what I did with the first three seasons. I even considered skipping out on the fourth season completely to read the books and try to catch up, then wait to watch season four on blu-ray. I'm still considering it tbh but I highly doubt that will happen. I like the show too damn much to hold off an entire year to watch it, haha.

As far as favorite houses go, I like to think of myself as a Stark fan, although their aren't many member's left.The Lannister's are certainly growing on me, especially after season three. I don't know though, It just seems like there is still so much to be revealed and so much is unpredictable that your favorite house could be wiped out completely at any turn. Haha, I guess that's what makes this show so great.

#60 Fried

Fried

Ingobernable

• Members
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

That's one I thing I love about the show, while of course the show is fictional I think it's got it's roots from a real time in history. I'm interested in history, peerage, dynasties and all that. I love the idea that a whole family tree can get hacked into total oblivion, roots and all, in the space of 55 minutes. :lol:

I think for me at the moment the house or group that appeals to me the most are the Brotherhood Without Banners.