Game Of Thrones (No Book Spoilers)

TheHavoc

This was a good episode for fleshing out some more backstory stuff and giving a better explanation of the Light Religion or whatever it is called.

Episode thoughts:

Robb is a *censored*ing idiot and deserves to lose. Stannis' crazy wife with her Alien Resurrection-esque babies was something. This show needs to stop trying to make me sympathize with people though.Feel really bad for Stannis who seems to have been dragged in to this mess that he can't get out of, but then you remember that he's been shown as desperate to be King so I guess tough shit. It seems weird that the 'King slayer' nickname was people genuinely being a dick to him as they thought he was evil, I always assumed it was just something cool that stuck, as you know, he killed a King who was killing loads of innocent people. I guess that what all the talk about oaths was though. Westeros takes oaths super serious even if you are serving someone who's evil.

Tywin for season MVP.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is called the R'hllor religion.

Jamie's speech was probably the highlight of the episode. His character is a very interesting one and much more complex than it appears at first. Still struggle to feel much sympathy for him despite his King Slayer tag. Other highlight for me was Arya and her conversation with the smith guy. Pretty much encompassed the whole class system in Westeros and that because of it they can never be considered to be equal or family. Arya shares a lot of qualities with Daenerys in the sense that neither of them seem to care much at all for being considered above others, and instead prefer to consider all as equals.

Episodes without the Khaleesi disappoint me. Littlefinger in the limited air time he had in that episode was very well portrayed. Of all the relationships and links between characters, he and Varys are definitely up there with being the most interesting of them all.

Next 2/3 episodes I expect things to really pick up and they will potentially be the best episodes to date. Bought the entire set of books a little while back and have just got past the point where the series is currently at. Have to say they've done a really fantastic job of staying true to the books and making good alterations to cut out large chunks of the book that aren't vital. I had expected there to be huge differences like you see in other TV shows/films adapted from books, but series 1 barely deviates from the book at all and series 2 does a really good job of altering certain sections and, dare I say it, improves them.

Episode 8 was the shit! Honestly I would compare it along with episode 4 and 5 which are the best in my opinion..

There were so many angles that were developed..From the Tyrion-Sansa wedding to Daenerys etc..

I think that now that the episode is 58-59 minutes helps the whole plot to develop...

Joffrey re-solidified himself as the number one heel. The bit about giving away Sansa as her dad was dead was good and it just continued to escalate from there. Seems obvious one of the three Stannis mentioned dies next week, hopefully it's the Greyjoy we've not seen all season.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read the books, it wasn't much of a surprise to me. It was pretty obvious how it would pan out in the show in regards to the differences between the series so far and the book. Michelle Fairley's acting at the end of the episode looked really awkward though and wasn't that good at all. Think she could of done a little better. The episode in general was pretty good but you could see a massive difference in that episode compared to the book, and imo the way the book worked every POV (other than Arya which was pretty much identical) was better than how they reflected them in the show. Especially the Jon Snow segment, feel like they missed something that was a small detail but at the same time kind of important in regards to the next few episodes he is in.

Spoilers just in case, but that was brilliant television and in what happened.

YES! ahahahahhaha. Can't think of a more fitting way for the two stupid characters on the show to die. Lannisters forever, Starks never. Can't wait for Roose Bolton to come out of the shadows next season, early contender for season 4 mvp. Tywin is just too good. Not even in the episode and he's ended the rebellion. Not sure where Arya goes from here. Next weeks inevitable Joffrey/Sansa scene is going to be brilliant.

j7xqic.jpg

Having read the books, it wasn't much of a surprise to me. It was pretty obvious how it would pan out in the show in regards to the differences between the series so far and the book. Michelle Fairley's acting at the end of the episode looked really awkward though and wasn't that good at all. Think she could of done a little better. The episode in general was pretty good but you could see a massive difference in that episode compared to the book, and imo the way the book worked every POV (other than Arya which was pretty much identical) was better than how they reflected them in the show. Especially the Jon Snow segment, feel like they missed something that was a small detail but at the same time kind of important in regards to the next few episodes he is in.

Speaking from our point of view the episode was pretty...amazing.

But what I cant understand is why people make comparisons between the book and the TV Show?

They are two completely different adaptions from what I heard.

Spoilers just in case, but that was brilliant television and in what happened.

YES! ahahahahhaha. Can't think of a more fitting way for the two stupid characters on the show to die. Lannisters forever, Starks never. Can't wait for Roose Bolton to come out of the shadows next season, early contender for season 4 mvp. Tywin is just too good. Not even in the episode and he's ended the rebellion. Not sure where Arya goes from here. Next weeks inevitable Joffrey/Sansa scene is going to be brilliant.

j7xqic.jpg

You can't tell me man that you didn't felt a little sympathy for what happened to these characters.

It is quite funny seeing the reactions of people who haven't read the books. I had no idea Robb Stark would be loved that much by the TV audience presuming that most of the shock and sadness is coming from his death and not Catelyns or his wife (think it helped quite a bit that they changed who he married from the book and made her pregnant), or that Catelyn would be hated as much as she is. I find her to be annoying in the book, but not one of the weakest characters by a long shot. But to me I think Robb dying was one of the easiest things to predict throughout. Ned dying, Winterfell being burned, Bran/Rickon being "killed", Arya being missing presumed dead and Sansa being married to Tyrion, was so obvious that Robb would be killed and Sansa would be made more relevant to the "game" as heir to Winterfell.

I've been complaining about dumb Starks all thread. I feel bad for Arya, the foreshadowing with the Hound about fearing she won't get there despite being so close was good stuff. She's managed to escape being a dumb Stark by being thrown out in to the wild and having to fight for herself. I'll probably feel bad for Sansa after Joffrey gets to tell her they've killer her mother, father, brother and all her relatives are believed to be dead. Otherwise I'm glad they've culled off some characters to make room for more guys who understand how to play the game. Roose Bolton is my kind of guy.

I can't wait for my Stark supporting friend to watch this episode.

I had a theory John would come back and save the Starks as the overall theme seems to be the unexpected/under appreciated are the saviours and as Herb said his death seemed quite predictable and he's been portrayed as incapable of leading the rebellion, but now the Starks have nothing so I'm not so sure. Maybe he teams of with The Mad Queen.

But what I cant understand is why people make comparisons between the book and the TV Show?

They aren't different adaptions really. There have been a few subtle changes as you would expect, with additions of scenes that are probably necessary and a lot of cutting out of characters and even the addition of a few characters that aren't in the books. Certain POV characters so far have had their story portrayed almost identically, whilst others have been changed up quite a lot. I guess the only reason I compare them is because I can (unfortunate in many ways). GoT does a brilliant job of getting it right the majority of the time though, and in some ways improves on the books. For instance, Charles Dance as Tywin is beyond perfect and to me adds something to the character that isn't always apparent in the books. Casting in general is brilliant, better than anything I've ever known. Only two I'm not keen on in the TV show is Sansa and Shae, Shae especially as she gets a lot of screen time with Tyrion and is just poor.

They aren't different adaptions really. There have been a few subtle changes as you would expect, with additions of scenes that are probably necessary and a lot of cutting out of characters and even the addition of a few characters that aren't in the books. Certain POV characters so far have had their story portrayed almost identically, whilst others have been changed up quite a lot. I guess the only reason I compare them is because I can (unfortunate in many ways). GoT does a brilliant job of getting it right the majority of the time though, and in some ways improves on the books. For instance, Charles Dance as Tywin is beyond perfect and to me adds something to the character that isn't always apparent in the books. Casting in general is brilliant, better than anything I've ever known. Only two I'm not keen on in the TV show is Sansa and Shae, Shae especially as she gets a lot of screen time with Tyrion and is just poor.

When I said about different adaptions I meant cause of the little differences that made impact.Such as the wife of Robb and stuff like that..Just to get this clear...

Thought they could of ended that season at a better and more important point, but meh. They've left a lot of good stuff for the next season, which will easily be the best yet. The episode was more of a consolidation, filling in a lot of blanks for people that may not of been completely clear and showing what the intentions will be of a few key characters (i.e Theon's torturer who now becomes an important character for the next season).

In terms of Jon Snow in that episode,

I don't know why they didn't just get Ygritte to shoot an arrow in his leg in the episode before like she did in the book. Would have saved some time that could of been used for a bit more Stannis or Arya.

One thing that irked me a bit throughout that season was how little they used Varys. I still don't think they've really utilised him as much as they should have considering how prominent he is in the book, and he still doesn't come across as being as dangerous and necessary as he is in the book either.

Anyway, next season I'm definitely looking forward to more Stannis, more Roose & Ramsay Bolton and Jaime.

I was disappointed that we got so little Jamie and a scene with Daneary's that didn't really accomplish much. She's probably the character I care least about as it all seems to be a rehash of previous stuff and just delaying things until a big battle.

Tywin continues to rule and the stuff with Stannis really changes the direction of the show, which is welcome, as I'm happy to watch another season of Lannister issues play out without the threat of Stannis/Lannister II. We don't need a rematch so soon.

Archived