What are the differences between WWE PG during the 80's and early 90's and WWE PG Today? -

Black Dahlia

Over the top Characters/Gimmicks, Ring Psychology was use more compared to pure athleticism nowadays, promos were longer, and used to support their gimmicks since you really didn't have a whole of backstage segments, and "soap opera" like stuff you have today, and lastly storylines/feuds would last a year or more.

Vince actually knew how to cater to his audiences and not trying to please a certain group becuase they wanted their "guy(s)" to win. He actually went out there and allowed the wrestlers to experiment with one another and stick with a certain formula. There weren't a blur between good guy and bad guy... like from right up front you knew who was a good guy and who was a bad guy. And the characters at the time.. actually had an identity to themselves which IMPROVED a lot throughout the 80's and the gimmicks themselves.

The golden era is respectively given the dates from 1984-1992; as 1993 started the "New Generation" era which was lackluster compared but I'd go to say the 1st version of this era today.

Mainstream society wasn't exposed to so much during the 80s and 90s like they are now. Not only KIDS but even ADULTS weren't exposed to the amount of things they saw on tv and especially the INTERNET like they see now. That's the difference between PG then and now which is why the little things that used to entertain kids and adults back then don't entertain some kids and most adults today. Moral of the story: Times have changed.

ccmon lets admit it,today's wrestling is so much better than the 80's and eatrly 90's,

if you talk about gimmick i would says 80's

if you talk about wrestling i would say today's

im saying there wasnt any good wrestling,there was but most of the matches were the same, elbow drop,sleeper,hold,punches and blah blah, atleast today you see some amaziong matches like taker's mathes,punk's matches aand etc , today the wrestling technique is so much better

PG back then = much less limitations to what they can do/say

PG today = you have to be too careful on what you're doing because you'll have 100 angry moms call you if they God forbid, hear something they don't like.

Mankind changed from normal to too sensitive. Nowadays you have to be careful, and thus you can't really explore and set your mind in "creative mode" like back in those days.

That and everything else already mentioned about soap operas, gimmicks, etc.

But I'd like to say that the match quality today is overall better than before. If anything evolved in wwe it's this. As years went by match quality improved. Sadly can't say that about promos and feuds. They were much better back then.

Also mic talent, and the way everyone was believeable back then. Now you have guys like Sheamus and Cena who can't sound believeable if it killed them. Each time they open mouths, you can literary feel the "forced" ring to their voices. They don't put too much thought into "sound believeable" as they put thought into "oh gosh i should remember what the script said". Thus they at times fail miserably on trying to make jokes. Just listen to sheamus' promo last night on 3MB. Or Cena whenever he tries to be funny. (though I must admint he's kind of getting better as of recent). But it's generally sad. I mean they sound like new theater players who are nervous and cant really remember the lines, etc.

Back then it wasnt really all about "oh gosh i should stay true to the script" it was more of a "I should try to sound realistic and not like im acting" thing.

But hey, your inital question was, I suppose difference in PG? I believe I've covered that in the begining of my post - basically mankind became pussified (a term made popular by one comedian), and they can't stomach things anymore, and basically PG today is more sheltering than PG back then.

Back in the day there were much more vivid and cartoony characters. I also think that the competition in the way of the WWE had a lot today with the product then. Plus there weren't many people who spoke to the fans, sometimes you'd get wrestlers doing green screen promos but it wasn't live in front of the audience. Go back and watch a promo back then of two dudes backstage in a promo they're not getting there shtick in they are getting to the point, they wrap up the promo quicker, but get the bullet points done the best way possible. Nowadays it's directed towards children but the entire product is completely different.

PG back then = much less limitations to what they can do/say

PG today = you have to be too careful on what you're doing because you'll have 100 angry moms call you if they God forbid, hear something they don't like.

Mankind changed from normal to too sensitive. Nowadays you have to be careful, and thus you can't really explore and set your mind in "creative mode" like back in those days.

That and everything else already mentioned about soap operas, gimmicks, etc.

But I'd like to say that the match quality today is overall better than before. If anything evolved in wwe it's this. As years went by match quality improved. Sadly can't say that about promos and feuds. They were much better back then.

Also mic talent, and the way everyone was believeable back then. Now you have guys like Sheamus and Cena who can't sound believeable if it killed them. Each time they open mouths, you can literary feel the "forced" ring to their voices. They don't put too much thought into "sound believeable" as they put thought into "oh gosh i should remember what the script said". Thus they at times fail miserably on trying to make jokes. Just listen to sheamus' promo last night on 3MB. Or Cena whenever he tries to be funny. (though I must admint he's kind of getting better as of recent). But it's generally sad. I mean they sound like new theater players who are nervous and cant really remember the lines, etc.

Back then it wasnt really all about "oh gosh i should stay true to the script" it was more of a "I should try to sound realistic and not like im acting" thing.

But hey, your inital question was, I suppose difference in PG? I believe I've covered that in the begining of my post - basically mankind became pussified (a term made popular by one comedian), and they can't stomach things anymore, and basically PG today is more sheltering than PG back then.

Amen... the wrestling is better, but the same can't be said about the mic skills, promos, charisma, some fans... yes some is due the way society is today, but that still is no excuse for some of the wrestlers, who seem "stuck".. Meaning, they can't get over that hump.

Mainstream society wasn't exposed to so much during the 80s and 90s like they are now. Not only KIDS but even ADULTS weren't exposed to the amount of things they saw on tv and especially the INTERNET like they see now. That's the difference between PG then and now which is why the little things that used to entertain kids and adults back then don't entertain some kids and most adults today. Moral of the story: Times have changed.

Vince actually knew how to cater to his audiences and not trying to please a certain group becuase they wanted their "guy(s)" to win. He actually went out there and allowed the wrestlers to experiment with one another and stick with a certain formula. There weren't a blur between good guy and bad guy... like from right up front you knew who was a good guy and who was a bad guy. And the characters at the time.. actually had an identity to themselves which IMPROVED a lot throughout the 80's and the gimmicks themselves.

The golden era is respectively given the dates from 1984-1992; as 1993 started the "New Generation" era which was lackluster compared but I'd go to say the 1st version of this era today.

You also had a lot more different ring styles due to the various Terrotries. These days its just the same thing.

• 11 months later...

It used to be promos and wrestling. Now it's soap operas.

I grew up with the 80's and 90's wrestling and still watch today. I'll agree with you to some degree of what you say. During Vince's introduction to the Attitude Era, Vince said they take ideas from such shows as sitcoms, talk shows, cartoons and soap operas. Today's WWE being called a soap opera is nothing compared to the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression Era. Back then, you had the boss, Vincent Kennedy McMahon lip-locking with every Diva on the roster from Trish Stratus to Candice Michelle. That's more soap opera-ish than today but like you said it had wrestling as well. Now here's the thing. Today's era has wrestling, even though we see pretty much the same people wrestling each other week in and week out but unlike the other two eras before, especially the one where Vince said they take ideas from soap operas, 11 years after he said that, he actually goes out and hires former soap opera writers to book his shows instead of hiring people who have the knowledge of wrestling to book a good show

Archived