German Hands-On Preview (with offscreen gameplay footage)

TBkowski

wwe13.jpg

Hey guys,

I was at the German THQ community event last friday and got to play WWE 13 there. You can find my impressions at http://triquencygame...nds-on-preview/ (in German). There is also a video of my journey, where you can see some offscreen gameplay footage.

I used Google to translate it to English. Maybe you'll be interested to hear another opinion about the game ;)

In 2000 THQ published WWE Smackdown! for the PlayStation. A wrestling game, which was the beginning of a now 12 year-old and 13 parts success story. In 2004, the series was renamed to WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW (+ year) before in 2011 - in the style of annual sports simulations - all additions were cut an it's just WWE plus year. WWE '13 releases on 30 October and will be the 14th game of the series, and promises with melodious marketing slogans to be the revolution of the wrestling game genre - a genre, where there is no real competition. I got to play the game as part of a community events at THQ and here are my impressions.

Attitude Era - The Golden Era of WWE

End of the 90s, the WWE (then WWF) was in a deep crisis. The major competitor WCW attracted the seasoned stars of the WWF, with lucrative contracts, created Goldberg and the NWO and dared to send a live broadcast in parallel to the flagship of the WWF (Raw). All this led to falling viewing numbers of the WWF and a rapid rise of WCW. With the Attitude Era began the turnaround. You dared to break taboos and created a revolutionary approach: the line between good and evil, which traditionally dominated the wrestling, disappeared. New heroes, like the Degeneration X or Stone Cold Steve Austin broke the rules, but have been cheered by the fans, because they put in with someone who has been a no-go to that time: the boss Vince McMahon. Thus began a time of alleged scandals, which put the WWF back to number 1 in the business and made the WCW eventually forced to close the doors. And it is this wild era which can be replayed in WWE '13.

The Attitude Era mode replaces the, recently criticized by many players, Road to WrestleMania story mode from previous years. That means that your goal is no longer the biggest event of the WWE, but the reliving some of the best known stories from that time. The pesky triggers that were last year ushered in the middle of the match a sequence, have disappeared and given way to broad goals and bonus system. In an introductory video you will see the back-story of the Monday Night Wars, as the battle between the WWF and WCW was titled, before you can start with the first of a total of 8 stories. Here you play the rise of the stable Degeneration X, and must achieve several objectives in individual matches to get to the next match. Optional objectives allow you to unlock various wrestlers and costumes. Rounding out this mode of numerous evocative video clips that continue the stories captivating. In the loading screens you get after your match an overview of the development of the actual viewing figures of both running parallel programs. In addition to the DX are also Steve Austin, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Mick Foley, The Rock and Kane and the Undertaker to choose from, making a total of more than 60 matches, and you can relive much of the Attitude Era. A challenging, but also by the numerous unlockable content motivating mode of the first scanning, just staged by the great video clips that can be memories of the heyday of the WWF are awake. No wonder, this mode is written by the Wrestling mastermind Paul Heyman, who was in the 90s, responsible for the rise of hardcore League ECW and was responsible for that wrestling is no longer consisted of colorful, funny clowns, but also gloomy and depressive forms.

WWE Live - Experience the extraordinary

WWE Live is called new sound system in WWE 13, is to conjure up the typical wrestling show atmosphere in your room. All the sound effects have been added, from the referee announcements to the reactions of the audience in the hall. All sound elements were recorded in a live setting, so that the real soundscape to be captured better. The fans go initially with very subdued, but clearly can hear when spectacular events are shown and the match coming to an end. And when speaking of spectacular actions, then at this point must be called the OMG moment. These moments can be triggered using three stored finishers and create a true highlight of the match. A superplex to the outside, a tackle by the audience barricades or even - in the case of two super heavyweights - the collapse of the ring and thus a struggle termination is possible. By the three required finisher that ye must fight first laboriously in the match, those moments remain sparse and therefore unique. Of course, they wear out after a few times, but they are a nice touch that THQ has installed here. Moreover, finishing moves in WWE '13 let out of nowhere, or start from the jump out. Thus, the RKO from Orton e.g. be executed directly when the opponent is at a delivered skipped. A positive aspect is the improved Replay. After finishing moves, and by the end of the match, the decisive actions are shown again in the repetition. It was a strange selection of irrelevant moves las year, so that the replay was immediately turned off in the options. In WWE '13 you can watch it because the replays are well done and take the match well together. Otherwise, the game looks from the presentation here as WWE '12, but that was due to assume the trailer. Here, in the year of development was not working around the graphics but the fine tuning and the game modes. Because of the loud ambient noise I hardly noticed the new soundscape, but the trailer shown (loud) was very impressive and also the OMG Moments enrich the game definitely.

Universe Mode 3.0 - Create your very own world

You're tired of always replay only RAW or Smackdown? No problem. With the WWE Universe mode 3.0 your own wishes and ideas can be created. Using the Arena-Creators - this year you can also determine its own stage, entrance hall and a size - and the logo Creators, a fully custom Wrestling League can be created. Whether television shows, pay-per-views or Roster and Champions - everything is in your hands. New this year are optional choices that you choose before, after or during individual cases matches, and thus influence the course of the stories. In addition, you will receive detailed statistics supplied. In addition, you can reset the Universe mode at any time, which was not possible in the previous year. Many details, such as PPV topics, injuries and a full range of customizable championship belts are also on board. Even the annoying disconnecting tag teams can be turned off if desired, and the wrestling shows are no longer fixed to certain days. In addition, rankings can be edited so that only the superstars get a chance at a title that you want to determine. During a short practice test I was able to see some interesting cut scenes, although I played three complete shows unfortunately no single option was given during matches and cutscenes.

Special Referee - You have the power

There are match types that for some years now, the wrestling game fans want back. A few years ago it was no problem, as referee to the action and influence the outcome of a match. This option was taken but is now implemented as a novelty back in the game. As ref you have your own bar, which changes with each positive and negative actions in the other direction. If the bar is empty for too many partisan intervention, the general manager appears on the stage and takes you from the match. Is your bar however is full, you can either cheat the participants (Screwjob called) or show a finishing move. You can stop the fight early with a submission hold, the pinfall and counting rapidly or slowly (or not at all) and when you are attacked as a ref, you can decide for yourself whether you want to issue a disqualification, or the match continues. Unfortunately in the play version, which will most likely be the final version, I did not hear the the referee count. Neither counting out the outside wrestler, nor the count of Pinfalls was apparent acoustic counting. From the PR manager was suggested that one could not take up the counting of every single WWE superstars, but I like to think of as the question why - if they praise already WWE Live as THE sound experience - they don't let the audience count, as in a real TV show usual? A minor complaint thus at this point, even if the Match type otherwise a lot of fun. The only restriction is that you as a WWE Diva can not stand in a match of the men. The other way refereeing as a male WWE Superstar is possible in a Divas match.

I Quit Match - back to life

The I Quit Match is the ultimate humiliation of your opponent. You force him by physical force, to say the devastating words, to avoid further torture and pain. This game mode was also in previous years ever in the game, but there just carelessly. This year marks the match his comeback and that is brilliant. Do you want that the referee asks the inferior opponent, whether he would give up, starts a mini-game. Depending on the state of the enemy will see a more or less fast moving pointer that needs to be stopping in the middle of a scale. The more damaged the opponents, the smaller the area to be taken and also the faster the movement. As a superior player you have not to only watch if your opponent can escape from the mini-game, you can influence it by sneering taunts, with the bar also starts to wobble. In a long and grueling match this may very well be very exciting. I had my great joy at this Match type and could force the THQ staff in a thrilling battle to give up - a truly great moment.

Gameplay - Everything stays different

Before the beginning of a fight at WWE '13 you can be adjust the match experience, which affects the length of the fight. Set this option on quick, so it charges your Finishermeter fast and the opponent takes a lot of damage quickly. Do you want a long match, you can also set this option on Epic, to create a long and debilitating match. Particularly in relation to the Universe mode this option is invaluable. Do you want to show at week broadcast a squash match in which the winner is quickly found, you can set it on Quick. Do you want at a big event, the epic end of a long-running feud, you can use the influence of the Match Experience. In a ladder match, I noticed also that the wrestlers remain sometimes very long on the ground, so that I almost thought, that this was a bug, because my superstar did not get up.

The already liquid gameplay of its predecessor has been improved slightly. The match play is now more fluid and act as a unified whole. Chipped opponents could be rolled in from the stand. This cover can be countered by the enemy but also, in turn, can be countered, etc. Exciting situations that can turn the course of the fight completely on its head. But it struck me while playing a match with four participants some nasty graphical glitches. Thus the animation skipped a few times and just the opponents found themselves out of the booth again directly on the ground in the cover. Otherwise, the game feels very much like WWE '12, just with a few minor tweaks in the right place. The targeted attacks of the body acan be changed individually in the moveset and the player can adjust the strong and weak limbs by regulators.

Conclusion - a must for fans

WWE '13 is not a revolution, as it tells you in the commercials. It may at first glance not even look very different or play particularly different from the previous titles. But it must not in my eyes. The current generation of consoles has reached the end of its life cycle and who still expect a completely new graphics engine from THQ and Yuke's lives probably in a dream world. Until the new generation of consoles arives there will be certainly no great leaps in this direction. But what is clear is that the developers have worked to improve the already aged Wrestling game on the consoles again. Also, I was very skeptical when I first saw pictures of WWE '13. But the new game modes such as the special referee, I Quit Match or the resurrected King of the Ring tournament complete the good image of the series and especially the inclusion of the likely favorite era of wrestling sports makes the game despite some signs of age still seem fresh. It almost looks as if there are two games in one - a recent wrestling game and a retro classic from the End90s. The Attitude Era mode promises a lot of fun in single player, and the Attitude Era older fans can reminisce and bring new wrestling fans near to this time. In addition, the WWE Universe 3.0 definitely has what it takes to capture players weeks and months to the console. THQ has also turned to the important screws and the existing game modes useful supplement so that WWE '13 was very much fun when I played and I can only recommend it to any wrestling fan.

Yeah, the white attire is pretty cool, because he has his jacket during the entrance.

I just took a look at create a wrestler and recognized the ability to adjust strong and weak limbs. The point system ist fair, if you maximize your arms e.g. then you can only give the minimum to all of the other limbs.

Otherwise i looked over the shoulder of the wrestlinggames.de guys. They build an arena. Here are their pictures, where you can see some offscreen stuff: http://www.wrestling...ots/wwe-13.html

I think the video also confirms 4 man money in the bank matches.

Awesome hands on preview as well thank you =]

Did you get a chance to play around with any of the create modes?

How exactly?

There was a four man ladder match taking place at the money in the bank arena, I said 'I think' cause it could just be coincedence.

If you mean, whether the version, which I played, was the final one, then I can't tell you that. It looked finished but it is possible that there will be some minor tweaks until release in end of october. We could play every mode except the online features. Nearly everything connected to Attitude era needs to be unlocked in the Attitude era mode. Out of the current superstars there were just maybe 4 people locked.

Unfortunately I just rushed through the create modes so I can't tell anything about that.

Yeah, the white attire is pretty cool, because he has his jacket during the entrance.

I just took a look at create a wrestler and recognized the ability to adjust strong and weak limbs. The point system ist fair, if you maximize your arms e.g. then you can only give the minimum to all of the other limbs.

Otherwise i looked over the shoulder of the wrestlinggames.de guys. They build an arena. Here are their pictures, where you can see some offscreen stuff: http://www.wrestling...ots/wwe-13.html

Anybody else notice that in the build an arena picture that its an outdoor arena, and that it appears that you can change whether or not its daytime or nighttime? If you noticed, the sky is an evening tone and the building lights are on in it. It can't be the image quality because the white parts on the arena designs are obviously white, so the sky has to have been made evening time as opposed to daytime.

If so, that's awesome that they made us able to customize nighttime in the outdoor arenas.

Definetly gonna make wcw's ''road wild'' ppv now.

I think the video also confirms 4 man money in the bank matches.

Awesome hands on preview as well thank you =]

Did you get a chance to play around with any of the create modes?

How exactly?

There was a four man ladder match taking place at the money in the bank arena, I said 'I think' cause it could just be coincedence.

Well they could have made a 4-way ladder match in a Money In The Bank arena.

any ladder match in wwe12 that wasnt for a belt was a money in the bank match. nothing new there.

Anybody else notice that in the build an arena picture that its an outdoor arena, and that it appears that you can change whether or not its daytime or nighttime? If you noticed, the sky is an evening tone and the building lights are on in it. It can't be the image quality because the white parts on the arena designs are obviously white, so the sky has to have been made evening time as opposed to daytime.

If so, that's awesome that they made us able to customize nighttime in the outdoor arenas.

Definetly gonna make wcw's ''road wild'' ppv now.

asked the guy who took this pic if it's possible to change day/night and he said that there was no option like that.

what glitches were they talking about?

glitches in pin animations while playing with 4 people. the roll-in animation skipped sometimes. you stood before your enemy, pushed the stick to roll someone in, and the animation skipped and you found yourself immediatly on the floor pinning. happened 3-4 times while playing. hope they fix it in the final build.

Archived