Raven Comments On Working With CM Punk In TNA Wrestling

The Walking Deadman

Raven recently did an interview with Inside The Ropes Radio and offered the following comments on working with current WWE Champion CM Punk in TNA Wrestling:

"He had a very inflated sense of self importance at the time. He thought he was so much better than he was. Not that he was bad, he just wasn't as good as he thought he was. I don't watch wrestling anymore, because it's too disappointing but I was doing a personal appearance where they show PPVs and you're watching the show. Wow, watching him, he became phenomenal. The two pay-per-views I've seen, he was the best thing on them. I have nothing but respect for him. it was just back then, he had an inflated sense of self importance."

It's no secret that Punk has always had a huge ego. I've heard a lot of wrestlers like Paul London tell similar stories about CM Punk. He's been referred to as the "Triple H of ROH". I think that attitude is the only reason he's been able to make it as far as he has in WWE though. It's not like he suddenly became more talented in 2011. He was always great. He only advanced his career because he stopped putting up with their shit and started acting all entitled. Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to be that successful especially in the wrestling business if you're a humble person. There are a couple of exceptions though, like Mick Foley and Daniel Bryan.

Based on what I've seen, Raven isn't the most modest guy in the world either. He and CM Punk are actually similar in a lot of ways. They seem to have similar personalties and beliefs about what pro wrestling should be.

It must be contagious, as most Punk fans seem to think he's better than he is. I like Punk, but he's not as versatile as he gets credit for. He's entertaining as a full on heel, but anything other than that, he just sort of comes off stale. The Pipebomb thing was interesting for five minutes. I didn't stand out as original pre-SeS and post-SeS. So we'll see where this Heyman thing goes.

His current reign as champion has been forgetable and unless something big changes before he loses it, he will have two very forgettable reigns as WWE/World champion (the first being his MITB cash in in which he got the Mysterio Champion jobber treatment).

I think recently CM Punk has become more humble in the back, now that he's gotten where he wanted to be (at the top of the WWE), and the locker room looks up to him. I guess all he needed was to get to the top and his maturity would follow.

Archived