Jericho Vs. Rock- The Battle Of Public Opinion

Thr33X

Something I've been wondering after reading a post or two. Both Chris Jericho and The Rock are considered "alumni" in WWE...or as Jiggy Pablo Montoya so brilliantly put it, "Bonus Endbosses" that exist above and beyond the regular WWE roster due to their social and mainstream standing. Same can be said for Brock Lesnar.

But here's the thing. Jericho has left and came back, and left, and came back, bouncing between his career in music/entertainment and his wrestling career, and even when certain nitpickers within the IWC called his latest run a "waste", what with losing matches to put CM Punk over and so on, in the end as he's departed again, people generally are accepting and even gracious of him having returned, even for a few months.

So why is it that when The Rock does this, the response is so venomous towards him? Realistically, Rock has came back a couple of times since his departure 10 years ago from regular competition. He feuded with Goldberg, he teamed up with Foley to face Evolution and now you have him back again. Why does he get some much hate, while Jericho doesn't for doing pretty much the same thing?

What? Because Jericho is working house shows interviews across seas you name it when not on tour and then goes on tour comes back and works a full schedule while putting on great matches.

The Rock comes back whenever he damn pleases even while not filming shows up twice a year goes for the tile or main event leave.

Two totally different things Jericho works every day possible when not touring the Rock works two.

Exactly as SOAP put it. Jericho puts all his time into WWE when he comes back. He works house shows, and is willing to put over the younger talent time and time again. He also appears on multiple shows each week, and travels on the hectic WWE schedule. When he's not doing music tours with Fozzy, he's back in the ring, doing what he does best. He never seems to have a break.

Rock however, prefers to pick and choose when he comes back. He doesn't work house shows, and he doesn't even wrestle anything but PPV's. I understand how much of a star he is, and I am grateful that he came back. I understand that he does work hard to make it to WWE events... but I don't think he prioritizes WWE over filming. He always says he's "back for good this time", but we all know that isn't true. Jericho doesn't pretend he's going to be around for more than a few months. I'd rather Rock just be blunt, and say "I'm going to appear at a few PPV's this year, but I have a busy schedule for the next year or so, and that is going to take up most of my time".

Exactly as SOAP put it. Jericho puts all his time into WWE when he comes back. He works house shows, and is willing to put over the younger talent time and time again. He also appears on multiple shows each week, and travels on the hectic WWE schedule. When he's not doing music tours with Fozzy, he's back in the ring, doing what he does best. He never seems to have a break.

Rock however, prefers to pick and choose when he comes back. He doesn't work house shows, and he doesn't even wrestle anything but PPV's. I understand how much of a star he is, and I am grateful that he came back. I understand that he does work hard to make it to WWE events... but I don't think he prioritizes WWE over filming. He always says he's "back for good this time", but we all know that isn't true. Jericho doesn't pretend he's going to be around for more than a few months. I'd rather Rock just be blunt, and say "I'm going to appear at a few PPV's this year, but I have a busy schedule for the next year or so, and that is going to take up most of my time".

To be fair, I think what the Rock meant when he said that "I'm back for good" was that he wouldn't be taking anymore huge seven year gaps. Now, I'm not a fan of either men, but I still don't understand the double standard.

To be fair, I think what the Rock meant when he said that "I'm back for good" was that he wouldn't be taking anymore huge seven year gaps. Now, I'm not a fan of either men, but I still don't understand the double standard.

That's exactly what I took it as also. I think a lot of people had their hopes too high to be perfectly honest. At that point in time he was filming GI Joe:Retaliation, and now he's filming Fast 6...and all it takes is a quick look at Wikipedia and IMDB to see that he has other projects on the horizon as well enough to be realistic enough to understand that he did not mean he was coming back full time.

This.

That's exactly what I took it as also. I think a lot of people had their hopes too high to be perfectly honest. At that point in time he was filming GI Joe:Retaliation, and now he's filming Fast 6...and all it takes is a quick look at Wikipedia and IMDB to see that he has other projects on the horizon as well enough to be realistic enough to understand that he did not mean he was coming back full time.

I understand what you are both saying, but when someone says "I'm back for good, and never going away again", I wouldn't expect them to only appear at 3-4 PPV's a year. I'm not expecting every PPV, but a couple of RAW appearances would be appreciated. It seems he's only willing to return on big events. Whether that be Vinces fault, or his own, I'm not completely sure.

To put it more simple like.

Jericho works two full time jobs.

The Rock works 1 part time and volunteers for the WWE.

Jericho on leaving.

How wrestling has changed: “The people that are stepping away are ones that have been there for years and years and years. It’s a grueling schedule- physically, mentally. Traveling is hard. It’s good to know that you have these other options and you have to explore them. For me, I wrestled for 15 years straight every day, left for a couple years, came back for another three years, wrestled straight every day almost, and then, you know, left for awhile, came back for nine months. As you get older, I think that’s a good schedule. I’ve kind of built up my status in the WWE where I can do that. Not everybody can, but you know, you look at guys like The Rock or… You know the thing is when Rock came back, he just comes back for once or twice, I came back and did every show. I was in Abilene, Texas working house shows as well as working Madison Square Garden. I didn’t pick and choose my spots. I came back for nine months and that’s the way I’ll always be. I like doing the whole cycle and if I came back for a month, I’d still do as many house show matches, not just do TVs and pay per views. So, you know, for me I like doing it. Like I said, I’ve been playing with Fozzy since 2000and I’ve been playing in bands since I was 12, so it’s not a matter of making this choice, it’s who I am and it’s just what I do at this point. So from this point forward that’ll be how I work WWE. I’ll just be coming in and out when I have openings in my schedule, but when I come in, I’ll make sure to give 1000% and do as many shows as I can in that timeframe.”

Not to discredit Jericho's work schedule, but a rock tour and reality TV shows are a little less physically strenuous than back to back summer action blockbusters. Rock does a lot of his own stunts too. You have to put that into the equation as well. Still feels a lot like some fans are taking a lot to heart but not giving a whole of consideration.

Jericho:

Wrestler OR Rocker

The Rock:

Actor AND Celebratie special

Not to discredit Jericho's work schedule, but a rock tour and reality TV shows are a little less physically strenuous than back to back summer action blockbusters. Rock does a lot of his own stunts too. You have to put that into the equation as well. Still feels a lot like some fans are taking a lot to heart but not giving a whole of consideration.

Wrestlers always do their "stunts" theirself.

One botched/broken move and Jericho could get serious injured.

What about the Undertaker?! He works 3 shows a year at best. Yet everyone loves him, and talks about how great he is.

Rock retired. He got out of the business while he could and guess what? He's an A-list celebrity, making loads more than he was in wrestling full time and still makes appearances for fans. Rock doesn't need the money, nor the fame, he's got all of that and will do the rest of his life. So what if he left a business that destroys you physically and mentally? If you had the opportunity, you'd do the exact same thing, no matter how much your dream is to be a 'wrestler.'

And the fact that Chris Jericho doesn't care about coming back and winning titles, he comes back because he knows that it is his time to put the younger talent over. I understand Y2J had title matches, but it was to put CM Punk over as the champion and to push him to become a bigger star than he already was with a huge victory at WrestleMania in their great match. The Rock has yet to put any superstar over himself, and he'll most likely beat CM Punk at Royal Rumble, thus having a non-active wrestler beat 2 men that are present each week doing house shows and outside media advertising. What good is it when someone who hasn't wrestled in 7 years just beat your face of the company for the past 7 years? What good does it do when he just beats your current WWE Champion? A title that is seen as the most prestigious belt in the company looks uber weak when they can get beat by someone why has had 2 matches in the past 7 years. For those who say The Rock has earned it, yeah he worked his ass off and put people in seats but so does John Cena and CM Punk currently.. Hell, Stone Cold Steve Austin did, Shawn Michaels did, Triple H did, Hulk Hogan did, however, none of them are using their past super-stardom to take what they want now. I have a lot more respect for Chris Jericho because he doesn't bullshit the audience like The Rock does. Don't stand in the middle of the ring and say you're here to stay, then go away for months to film G.I. Joe. Chris Jericho has never stated he's here to stay, he comes back, puts people over and leaves for his music hobby. He doesn't come back, beat everyone to build on his ego, then leave after everyone has jobbed to him. Also, don't say The Rock put people over in the past like Evolution and Goldberg.. Everyone put people over so I could name people have been put over by the best of the best, even Triple H (lol). This is similar to Hogan vs HBK at SummerSlam, when HBK oversold everything because it was disrespectful for someone like Hogan to beat someone like Shawn Michaels, who worked the full WWE schedule and was obviously the better wrestler of the two. I don't see the point of bringing someone back who isn't in the prime to beat one of the current main eventers. Rock beat Hogan in the passing of the torch, well The Rock beat John Cena in a similar situation. The difference was that now this generation looks weak. Why didn't The Rock pass the torch to John Cena? Selfishness, maybe?

/rant

tl;dr Expressed my dislike for The Rock because of his ego.

And the fact that Chris Jericho doesn't care about coming back and winning titles, he comes back because he knows that it is his time to put the younger talent over. I understand Y2J had title matches, but it was to put CM Punk over as the champion and to push him to become a bigger star than he already was with a huge victory at WrestleMania in their great match. The Rock has yet to put any superstar over himself, and he'll most likely beat CM Punk at Royal Rumble, thus having a non-active wrestler beat 2 men that are present each week doing house shows and outside media advertising. What good is it when someone who hasn't wrestled in 7 years just beat your face of the company for the past 7 years? What good does it do when he just beats your current WWE Champion? A title that is seen as the most prestigious belt in the company looks uber weak when they can get beat by someone why has had 2 matches in the past 7 years. For those who say The Rock has earned it, yeah he worked his ass off and put people in seats but so does John Cena and CM Punk currently.. Hell, Stone Cold Steve Austin did, Shawn Michaels did, Triple H did, Hulk Hogan did, however, none of them are using their past super-stardom to take what they want now. I have a lot more respect for Chris Jericho because he doesn't bullshit the audience like The Rock does. Don't stand in the middle of the ring and say you're here to stay, then go away for months to film G.I. Joe. Chris Jericho has never stated he's here to stay, he comes back, puts people over and leaves for his music hobby. He doesn't come back, beat everyone to build on his ego, then leave after everyone has jobbed to him. Also, don't say The Rock put people over in the past like Evolution and Goldberg.. Everyone put people over so I could name people have been put over by the best of the best, even Triple H (lol). This is similar to Hogan vs HBK at SummerSlam, when HBK oversold everything because it was disrespectful for someone like Hogan to beat someone like Shawn Michaels, who worked the full WWE schedule and was obviously the better wrestler of the two. I don't see the point of bringing someone back who isn't in the prime to beat one of the current main eventers. Rock beat Hogan in the passing of the torch, well The Rock beat John Cena in a similar situation. The difference was that now this generation looks weak. Why didn't The Rock pass the torch to John Cena? Selfishness, maybe?

/rant

Pyro, do me a favour and watch these matches:

Rock Vs Hurricane, Raw March 2003

Rock Vs Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2002

Rock & Sock Vs Evolution, Wrestlemania XX

Yeah, Rock sure has a big ego and would NEVER put anyone over.

What about the Undertaker?! He works 3 shows a year at best. Yet everyone loves him, and talks about how great he is.

Rock retired. He got out of the business while he could and guess what? He's an A-list celebrity, making loads more than he was in wrestling full time and still makes appearances for fans. Rock doesn't need the money, nor the fame, he's got all of that and will do the rest of his life. So what if he left a business that destroys you physically and mentally? If you had the opportunity, you'd do the exact same thing, no matter how much your dream is to be a 'wrestler.'

The Undertaker doesn't leave to film movies and tell people to refer to him as his real name because he's done with the industry that made him the star he is. If it wasn't for the WWE, The Rock probably wouldn't be in movies nor be as well known as he currently is. Also, The Undertaker doesn't beat your face of the company after 7 years of being inactive, for the past 4 years he's faced 2 already accomplished men who are/will be in the HoF in stories that go further than just the title. They stem from the Attitude Era and being the best performer of all time. This isn't a gimmick like CM Punk's, they have truly done everything to do in the industry.

/rant

First, The Rock was still an active wrestler during the first 2 matches. And I already acknowledged the WMXX match.

Because people feel Rock sold out by going to Hollywood, where as Jericho didn't. Personally I think that it is f*cking bullshit.

The only way Rock can silence his critics is by doing a full-time schedule, but people need to realize that this is not only unrealistic, but unlogical (is that it? Or illogical? F*ck it.) for a guy who had to do that for over 8 years to go back to it. The fact that Rock is doing matches once in a while is good enough for me. Don't forget that he has another full-time job and that he is jeopardizing it by wrestling. Rock has moved on, but still comes back to give things back for the fans. And why shouldn't he? It's not like the other veterans like Taker are doing well in terms of mobility. Austin only recently fully recovered from his shit. Edge had to retire or die. Rock is fully fit. We as wrestling fans are too selfish & inconsiderate sometimes when it comes to The Rock.

Because people feel Rock sold out by going to Hollywood, where as Jericho didn't. Personally I think that it is f*cking bullshit.

The only way Rock can silence his critics is by doing a full-time schedule, but people need to realize that this is not only unrealistic, but unlogical (is that it? Or illogical? F*ck it.) for a guy who had to do that for over 8 years to go back to it. The fact that Rock is doing matches once in a while is good enough for me. Don't forget that he has another full-time job and that he is jeopardizing it by wrestling. Rock has moved on, but still comes back to give things back for the fans. And why shouldn't he? It's not like the other veterans like Taker are doing well in terms of mobility. Austin only recently fully recovered from his shit. Edge had to retire or die. Rock is fully fit. We as wrestling fans are too selfish & inconsiderate sometimes when it comes to The Rock.

This is about Chris Jericho vs The Rock.

Simply put, The Rock has yet to put anyone over in this current run, while Chris Jericho has put people over in his past 2-3 runs. That's why I am against The Rock. I know it is unrealistic for him to come back full time, but if you don't want to get bitched for it, don't stand in the middle of the ring and bullshit it to the entire world? It's one of those things where it's like, you said it not me. The Rock said he was here to stay, nobody else. If he knew he wasn't truly going to be back to stay, why the hell would you say it and lie? I have never heard Chris Jericho make a statement like that then leave for months. He's always come back to an epic video package, put people over, leave for his music hobby. Not come back, win the title. put nobody over, leave for muisc.

The Undertaker doesn't leave to film movies and tell people to refer to him as his real name because he's done with the industry that made him the star he is. If it wasn't for the WWE, The Rock probably wouldn't be in movies nor be as well known as he currently is. Also, The Undertaker doesn't beat your face of the company after 7 years of being inactive, for the past 4 years he's faced 2 already accomplished men who are/will be in the HoF in stories that go further than just the title. They stem from the Attitude Era and being the best performer of all time. This isn't a gimmick like CM Punk's, they have truly done everything to do in the industry.

/rant

First, The Rock was still an active wrestler during the first 2 matches. And I already acknowledged the WMXX match.

Hogan "passed" his torch while he was active. Plus The Rock put over more people like

Y2J in 01 and 02.

Booker T at the Raw Battle Royal

Goldberg at Backlash 03

Obviously The Rock vs Cena match was for story. Cena still talks about that match and saying how much it motivates him to beat The Rock if given the chance for a rematch. And listening to a radio talk show, these guys said if The Rock was at every show, he wouldnt be that much of draw because we see him every week. If he would come every now and then, it would get peoples attention and buy PPVs just to see The Rock in action, because we dont normaly see him.

/rant

Dude, Rock's only been back since Februrary last year. He's only had two matches since then. And chances are that we will get a Rock Vs Cena rematch which John will win. I can also see Rock not wanting to compete much because of the fact that he may want a good storyline for his matches. Do you really think that Rock would be able to juggle a full-time WWE schedule along with making movies? Or do you really think that next week on RAW we will see Rock vs Dolph Ziggler without any build up whatsoever? I do think think Rock will put people over. Just give it time.

The Rock's mad his own choice. He's able to leave to pursue movies and use his real name which is a lot more professional than using 'The Rock' in Hollywood.

Rock's only had 2 matches. And I really don't think Rock forces himself to go over. Maybe it was because WM was in Miami, and if Cena won the audience would have gone crazy.

Undertaker's done everything there is to do, no doubt. But so has The Rock. He won 7 world titles, other championships, royal rumble and main evented WM.

I don't care how much someone comes back, Jericho's last run's have sucked. When an old wrestler comes back, and loses all his matches, how does it benefit the other talent? He'll be one of a hundred that have beat him. Hell, a win over Ryberg is more impressive than a win over Jericho these days. This is coming from a Jericho fan!

The Rock retired in 2003. That was the last time we were supposed to see him, he didn't have to come back. Before he left, he did what all wrestlers do, and that's secure a future for new talent. He lost to men like The Hurricane, Booker T, Goldberg, etc., and passed the torch onto Brock Lesnar at Summerslam. Christian even took the name 'The New People's Champion', that's how this whole 'Peeps' thing started. He did his part, and moved on, but regardless people still wanted him back. He came back, and all of a sudden people are acting like it was him that did this for himself which is bullshit.

The Rock will sent a message via satellite, and people will complain about how much he doesn't show up. The Rock will show up, people will complain about how he's taking away the spot light from the younger talent. The Rock will make his appearances minimum and let the younger talent shine, people will complain about how much he doesn't wrestle. The Rock will come back and set a date for a match, people will claim that he doesn't 'deserve' it. People will complain about how much they're bored of John Cena, and how he always wins. The Rock comes back and finally has a fair victory over him, people will claim he has an 'ego'. The Rock will come back and help CM Punk with his heel turn, and it's not talked about. Basically, you're all bias, and no matter what he does it's never enough.

I don't care how much someone comes back, Jericho's last run's have sucked. When an old wrestler comes back, and loses all his matches, how does it benefit the other talent? He'll be one of a hundred that have beat him. Hell, a win over Ryberg is more impressive than a win over Jericho these days. This is coming from a Jericho fan!

The Rock retired in 2003. That was the last time we were supposed to see him, he didn't have to come back. Before he left, he did what all wrestlers do, and that's secure a future for new talent. He lost to men like The Hurricane, Booker T, Goldberg, etc., and passed the torch onto Brock Lesnar at Summerslam. Christian even took the name 'The New People's Champion', that's how this whole 'Peeps' thing started. He did his part, and moved on, but regardless people still wanted him back. He came back, and all of a sudden people are acting like it was him that did this for himself which is bullshit.

The Rock will sent a message via satellite, and people will complain about how much he doesn't show up. The Rock will show up, people will complain about how he's taking away the spot light from the younger talent. The Rock will make his appearances minimum and let the younger talent shine, people will complain about how much he doesn't wrestle. The Rock will come back and set a date for a match, people will claim that he doesn't 'deserve' it. People will complain about how much they're bored of John Cena, and how he always wins. The Rock comes back and finally has a fair victory over him, people will claim he has an 'ego'. The Rock will come back and help CM Punk with his heel turn, and it's not talked about. Basically, you're all bias, and no matter what he does it's never enough.

Wow. Brilliant post. Absolutely fantastic.

It's hard to accept the first paragraph about Jericho, because I'm such a huge fan. But it's true. His latest return hasn't been great. He needed to win the rumble, and beat another main eventer earlier on in the year. I was entertained by his face turn, but it was too late.

I remember disputing this with Guitar a few weeks back.

Top to bottom, this. This 100%

I was waiting for you to show up, and as expected you make some great points.

I was gonna mention Taker too, but you beat me to it.

This should be [/thread] right here. Wow. I don't want to say it boils down to the old "sense of entitlement" thing here, but the writing is on the wall. St. Mich laid it out there beautifully. People harp on him for what they think is bad, but are completely oblivious to what he's done that's good back then as well as now. I don't even need to follow up.

But what I will say is this...to those who say that "If it wasn't for WWE, he wouldn't be the star he is now"...shut up. Yeah, the catchphrases, the way he commanded the crowd, the natural charisma he exudes, that's all WWE's doing. Apparently he had nothing to do with that, right? And to those who don't like him because of his "ego"...shut up. That wasn't the topic I was talking about, but however you point out the blatant ignorance towards him that I said was rampant in the first place...so thanks for your inept opinion I suppose.

What? Because Jericho is working house shows interviews across seas you name it when not on tour and then goes on tour comes back and works a full schedule while putting on great matches.

The Rock comes back whenever he damn pleases even while not filming shows up twice a year goes for the tile or main event leave.

Two totally different things Jericho works every day possible when not touring the Rock works two.

This.

Archived