The end of good vs. evil?

.Sy™

While good vs.evil coming to an end in wrestling is an interesting idea, this isn't the era where it'll happen in. Crowd reaction, while it plays a large role in what they decide to do with talent, doesn't dictate everything. Despite John Cena's years of mixed reactions, he will not be presented as anything but the ultimate role model, the pristine and perfect good guy. Daniel Bryan may have gotten some of the biggest and loudest reactions all year, but it won't effect how his character plays, he'll be a slimedog heel regardless.

WWE will do with their wrestlers what they please, regardless of what the fans think unless reaction is extremely positive or extremely negative. I do think that good vs. evil is a concept that in wrestling needs to evolve, but you won't see it here or now. Infact, if anything, it's reverted in the WWE. Back in the early 2000's, characters weren't so black and white, everyone was shades of grey. Steve Austin was the top face, yet his actions went against everything the previous generation was taught a good guy was meant to do. Heels had varying degrees, some more heel-ish than others. And even then, the fact that they were still humans was conveyed.

At Armageddon 2000, I vividly remember seeing HHH prepare for the Hell in the Cell and Stephanie coming to him and tell him how scared she was for him. Despite the fact that HHH was a vile, evil bastard and did some heinous things, he was still a man, a person like you or I, Stephanie was concerned about him all the same.

And that's part of the appeal of that era, was that the line between good and bad was blurry, being one or the other wasn't so clearly defined. I think it's a concept they should embrace today, since it's applicable to today. There's a reason why shows like the Sons of Anarchy are so popular, they're not the good guys. They're not positive role models, he'll they're not even productive members of society yet they're treated as heroes. I think that good and evil, in it's current form in WWE, needs to change, but I can tell you that it won't be anytime soon.

The internet kind of tampered with wrestling but it's because Heels act awesome, while faces act stale. Heels are edgy, faces arent. Should be the opposite, heels should be hated, annoying, and a bad person overall while a face should be what Stone Cold was, the person who does what everyone wants to do but can't and in such a cool way(CM Punk tried it but was short-lived)

The characters and gimmicks just aren't relatable anymore. People are drawn to things they can relate themselves with. Who the hell can relate to a 400 pounder dancing with 2 black chicks? Or a white rapper who ironically lives by "hustle, loyalty, respect". Think Vince, think.

The characters and gimmicks just aren't relatable anymore. People are drawn to things they can relate themselves with. Who the hell can relate to a 400 pounder dancing with 2 black chicks? Or a white rapper who ironically lives by "hustle, loyalty, respect". Think Vince, think.

There are very relatable gimmicks now, wrestlers such as: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Zack Ryder (not relatable to me but others), and some others. While I agree there really aren't many people that can relate to a superhero-rapper or an overweight disco dancer, WWE does have those that many can relate to.

Agreed with Aesop.

However the thing that 'ruined wwe' is, I repeat kids and uptight parents. Not solely though. But they contributed a lot. Its easier for kids to relate to a Good vs Bad concept like before the attitude era, before antiheroes and realistic gimmicks. (By realistic I mean people who arent entirely good or entirely bad. Tweeners.) I think the thing that's entertaining here are gimmicks you relate to, true, but It's much easier to relate to people who have depth and arent' one-sided, like Cena for instance who is a FULL FACE type of character. Look at Punk, who people can realte to easier - He swears occasionally, he's good in general, but has some edge. The 'pipebomb concept' proves this theory of mine. Ever since he started getting 'real' people started to relate to that.

On the other hand what's entertaining isn't having faces win over heels all the time. So having a bunch of Tweeners fight it out, opens a lot of possibilites too. A lot of new angles to work out. And essentially I think they should have more tweener gimmicks and reinvent faces and heels. Let faces have some heel attributes, and let heels win sometimes, let them have some face attributes too! ;)

Archived