Hogan's Ultimatum to Aries: #1 Contender or X Division Champion?

Raxerism

After winning his first ever Ultimate X match, retaining his X Division Championship and extending his record breaking run, Austin Aries called out to Hulk Hogan claiming that no matter what, "He Is The Main Event". Hogan heard and then came back with one very interesting offer. Hogan acknowledges Austin is the "Greatest Man That Ever Lived", but he's still not TNA World Champion. He then offered Austin the chance to face Bobby Roode for the title at Destination X. There's catch though. Hogan does not want a Champion of 2 divisions. In order to make the match official, Austin Aries must reliquish the TNA X Division Championship and put an end to it's longest reign. In contrast, he gets the chance to truly main event a PPV and end another record breaking run in Roode's World title run.

But the real question is... How good would it look if Austin simply gave up the X Division title? We all want him pushed, but is the title gonna suffer for it? He'll essencially walk out of the X Division, unscratched and never beaten. Great for him, but with all the competition he's gone over, it leaves a lot to be desired for the potential next champion.

It's certainly interesting and it's great that A Double has such a large amount of faith behind his skills. Hogan being directly involved only adds to Aries' standing as a major player down the road. If he vacates the belt, it won't matter for the division since the division is weak and underpushed anyway. However, the division and title could see a nice spike in attention and prominence when whoever wins the vacated X Division Title goes on to feud with Aries when he becomes the new WHC due to viewing him as having abandoned / felt bigger than the X Division.

I hope they continue pushing him as a main eventer after Destination X, I only say that because I hear he's not the most popular person backstage and having him relinquish the X Championship wouldn't make him look too weak. Obviously he wont beat Roode at the PPV but it would be nice to see him stick around in the Heavyweight Division for a while.

I would rather it be champ vs champ tbh, though I "get" the angle, "spin" on it and I'm not completely opposed to the idea the whole "I can't have one guy being everywhere all at once" (paraphrasing here) meaning hogan doesn't want a multi-belt holder seems a bit weak in a way, but at the same time I feel 1) its too early to tell 2)it adds some depth to the storyline 3) as on the fence so to speak as I am-or confilcted rather...the segment on impact was just plain good television...so, basically I'm enjoying it for the most part-but I don't see why one guy can't theoretically hold more than one title (I'm not saying aries should btw) I'm just saying it shouldn't be ruled out simply on "principal"...as for aries' conditions (relinquishing the belt every year for a shot at the WHC at Destination x could potentially be interesting, but like some one already mentioned, atm the division is under utilized and the talent pool for x division guys is pretty thin due to expired contracts, injuries and the fact that it wasn't super stacked in the first place.

Archived