The Metal Gauntlet - Preview and rules thread.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should be the voting criteria? Is it more about bands you like or bands that have some sort of legacy?

For example in the current Pioneer block everyone should at least respect Black Sabbath for what they did for Metal in it's early days but on the other hand while they might not be Metal (maybe pre-Metal) I do really like Blue Cheer and SRB,

Who you like the most! That's how Highlight structured his Rock & Roll tourny and it worked best that way. The finals was interesting and unexpected. Disappointing to some because it was Foos and RHCP and neither have the legacy of like the Stones or Zeppelin or Hendrix, but it was a fresh finals none the less. Nobody has to vote for even Sabbath or Priest... but it would be kind of wrong if neither of them made it out of the first round, ya know. I picked Blue Cheer too. They aren't metal, but they brought really heavy music to a crowd that listened to surf rock and it went over huge... which is pretty cool.

I'm going to bed, but I'll get back to you in the thread with the band that got 20k from your gov later. BTW, my last sentence in my one reply there was confusing. I do think there is still a metal undergound, I just meant it is so much more readily accessed given the state of the internet that it's hardly the same as it was.

In reference to a post I saw of your along with thoughts before I saw that post, is Blue Oyster Cult in this at all?

Um no, I could not think of where to put them. They would fit into Pioneering metal, but that block got real crowded, real fast. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the next groupings going up. Let me know if anything looks out of order.

Alternative Prog Rock

1. Tool

2. Porcupine Tree

3. Communic

4. Fair to Midland

5. Guilt Machine

6. Green Carnation

7. Giant Squid

Progressive Death / Experimental

1. Opeth

2. Nevermore

3. Novembre

4. Cynic

5. Edge of Sanity

6. Wolverine ??????

7. Gojira

Symphonic Death And Gothic Metal

1. Type O Negative

2. Therion - gothic

3. Septicflesh - symphonic

4. Theatres des Vampires - gothic

5. Haggard - symphonic

6. Elis - gothic

7. Hollenthon - symphonic

Progressive, Modern Metal / Djent

1. Meshuggah

2. Between the Buried and Me

3. Protest the Hero

4. Animals as Leaders

5. Periphery

6. SikTh

7. Tesseract

Okay, just for the record, I know damn well that the gothic and symphonic section does NOT fit with prog. But they are under this umbrella for the contest only. I got requests for that stuff and I didn't want to leave them out, so I shoehorned them into this bracket. Because if I add one new block to any of my 8 brackets, then I have to add 7 more to achieve balance, and the more I add, the longer this will take to get to the later rounds. I've already fallen behind schedule a bit :D

I actually have another version of the Metal Gauntlet brackets with more bands and categories and some of the blocks have been moved to other brackets for better accuracy. HellHammer had mentioned that when this thing wraps up, he wants to add this Metal Tree to the official metal thread. That's great, but I want the right version to go into it. After the first round is done I will present that, probably in a new thread. But I'm not going to keep bumping that thread. Either way, I haven't posted that version yet because I don't want to create any confusion. Once the first round is over though, any confusion between the two editions should be avoided though.

So for example, in my new Metal Tree, the Symphonic Death and Gothic Metal block will NOT be listed as part of the Progressive bracket. Instead they each have their own block. The gothic stuff is under Doom and the Symphonic Death block is part of Death metal. And in this refined version, it doesn't matter if some brackets have more blocks than others, but in my contest it does.

If anyone wants to see an early draft of that version of my bracket for the metal thread, I'll gladly send you a PM.

That's good. :D It would be boring otherwise.

The first category that went up was Bay Area Thrash, which of course included Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer... and even though the other 4 bands were all good ones too, Exodus and Testament for example, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that the Big 3 were going to win that block. It sort of felt like I should have just auto-advanced those 3 bands. But many groupings are going to have tougher choices. Speaking of which I have some tie breakers I need to add into the next few blocks going up. Of course since 3 bands make it in, only 3rd place ties need broken, but still I get a lot of 3rd place ties. :(

Also, do the bands look like good fits?

Giant Squid is basically a post-metal band, but I feel they are proggy enough for that block.

• 1 month later...

Okay sorry about the awfully long delay all. I've been busy lately, and while I've being semi active on the forums in general, I haven't had much time to update this. But regular updates should become the new norm again. I'm going to put up the next block up right now.

• 1 month later...

Archived