The Metal Gauntlet - Preview and rules thread.

What about the bands I suggested :poke:

Also Archenemy. Don't believe I saw them in there.

I'm a fan of Archenemy too. They've been in since the beginning... under Gothenburg. I am aware they are really from Halmstad, but they have the Gothenburg sound.

I really liked that Wolf track! Steelwing was okay.

I'm familiar with Icarus Witch too, I've even seen them, years ago. They are a local Pittsburgh band. They are pretty obscure though and I didn't think anyone else had heard of them and I figured more people would have heard of the other bands I had in the modern power metal section. These guys got to play with Paul Di'Anno, which is cool, but not as Icarus Witch though, but as just like (The) Paul Di'Anno (band) or whatever he called them. I remember when Icarus Witch did this cover, I'm still kind of partial Alice's original version, but this is a pretty decent cover.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds good. I'm actually adding a Seventh band to each group now. People will still vote for ONLY 3. So the tourny won't really change, there will just be an extra tourny. I haven't considered every little ramification that will have, but I do hope it might make each round a little more interesting by giving voters more options. The only concern is where will that (adding to the list) stop? I think 7 is plenty though to get a feel for each genre. I will have 7 for each real soon, but a couple brackets I'll still need help with.

What about the bands I suggested :poke:

Also Archenemy. Don't believe I saw them in there.

I'm a fan of Archenemy too. They've been in since the beginning... under Gothenburg. I am aware they are really from Halmstad, but they have the Gothenburg sound.

I really liked that Wolf track! Steelwing was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbkxQsnzM4A

I'm familiar with Icarus Witch too, I've even seen them, years ago. They are a local Pittsburgh band. They are pretty obscure though and I didn't think anyone else had heard of them and I figured more people would have heard of the other bands I had in the modern power metal section. These guys got to play with Paul Di'Anno, which is cool, but not as Icarus Witch though, but as just like (The) Paul Di'Anno (band) or whatever he called them. I remember when Icarus Witch did this cover, I'm still kind of partial Alice's original version, but this is a pretty decent cover.

Thats why we have the internet for, heard that the shows with Di'Anno are cancel for some reason.

First time I'm going to have to veto you bro. I would not consider Staind to be progressive. They could fit into the Alternative or Nu metal groups. They aren't really a nu metal band. I always thought of them as just alternative rock. Some of their early stuff has a heaviness about it that they could be in the same block as Sevendust though for instance.

I know prog rock pretty well, in fact I've considered making a prog rock/metal thread. I've held off though, because there are already rock and metal threads and prog stuff fits in those just fine. That said, it still would seem a little odd to have Scale the Summit next Dying Fetus in the metal thread or Pain of Salvation next to Nickelback in the rock thread though.

Well, Technically, they are... technical death metal... but I do see what you mean in that they are different from the other bands in that block and unique from the more traditional tech death bands. I'm definitely not taking Meshuggah out of the entire tournament though. Destroy Erase Improve is still among my all time favs and I like their latest release a lot. I do have a block somewhere with the word Djent in it though, and that's probably where they should go.

I like Obscura. I have them in the prog death area. They sort of walk that fine line between tech and prog. My tech list filled up a little faster though which is why they went to prog, but I can definitely move them to tech death. I'm not real high on Necrophagist though, there songs are so... all over the place, and I think there is a good way to do that style and a not so good one, and I'd consider them more of the latter.

Well, Technically, they are... technical death metal... but I do see what you mean in that they are different from the other bands in that block and unique from the more traditional tech death bands. I'm definitely not taking Meshuggah out of the entire tournament though. Destroy Erase Improve is still among my all time favs and I like their latest release a lot. I do have a block somewhere with the word Djent in it though, and that's probably where they should go.

I like Obscura. I have them in the prog death area. They sort of walk that fine line between tech and prog. My tech list filled up a little faster though which is why they went to prog, but I can definitely move them to tech death. I'm not real high on Necrophagist though, there songs are so... all over the place, and I think there is a good way to do that style and a not so good one, and I'd consider them more of the latter.

How about Decrepit Birth?

Yeah I could toss them in the mix. I kept thinking of them as more of a traditional death band, but they are rather technical. Some bands simply got left out because I wasn't sure where to put them. I've already randomly placed enough stuff.

Also, since dude is homeless, does this count as charity? :D

Yeah I could toss them in the mix. I kept thinking of them as more of a traditional death band, but they are rather technical. Some bands simply got left out because I wasn't sure where to put them. I've already randomly placed enough stuff.

Also, since dude is homeless, does this count as charity? :D

lol No im pretty sure he lives with one of the band members now.

Well, the General Thrash block was once called East Coast Thrash. The first 3 blocks were grouped by region, East Coast, San Fran area and Germany (all bands in these last two fit those regions, but not in the EC so I changed the title). The General block still has Overkill, Anthrax, Whiplash & Nuclear Assault. I couldn't think of 3 more East Coasters offhand. I added Coroner to that block because they are too incredible to leave out of the tourny. Though Switzerland is a lot closer to Germany. Still, Voivod and Flotsam & Jetsam are in this block too and Newstead is from somewhere in the mid west and as for those bands he's worked with... Voivod are from Canada and Flotsam are from wherever they are from, but it's not East or West coast.

I'd like to keep Voivod there. I can move Coroner to the Teutonic block even though they are a little outside of the region, in fact it would make more sense to have them there.

What about Prong? They are East Coast. That's another band that got left out because they could fit multiple genres. They started doing industrial stuff and what not, but they once fit a regular thrash description.

I don't see any Pink Floyd D:

Not going on another stretch, am I?

First off, I love Pink Floyd. I've listened to them throughout my whole life. I have their entire catalog. They have such a sophistication and intelligence and a mysterious quality to their work. And they have undoubtedly had a profound influence on rock music as a whole, which includes metal too.

But where would I put them in this tournament? I'm pretty happy with the prog section and they aren't technically prog anyways. The only place I could add them is the metal pioneers / proto-metal section. Even then they may look a little out of place. I truly feel it is impossible to pigeon hole Pink Floyd into any specific rock or metal genre. But I guess I don't see why they can't go in the Pioneering block.

Did you miss me again? :3

Nope, and you can see by the times, we were typing at the same time. :lol:

I had to ponder that question for a bit. But I suppose they can go in the Pioneering block.

I decided to do some searches to help with the blocks that you haven't completely lined up. Here are some things that I found.

Keep Exumer for the 7th position of Teutonic Thrash. Can't find anything saying Enemy of the Sun in is that genre.

For first wave of Black, why not Golgotha? Second wave could get Skyclad.

In Power Pioneers, I read that Savage Garden was apart of the genre and that Racer X was split between it and heavy metal.

Lunatic Gods could go into Avant-garde or progressive death/experimental.

Also, I think most brackets are looking pretty good at the moment.

But the 3rd Wave Black /Symphonic and the Avant-garde / progressive black areas have some random names I tossed in to fill them up some. If bands in those blocks are not the best bands that could be there, let me know guys. For instance I put a band called ChthoniC in 3rd wave. I had heard of them, but hadn't really heard them. It was a name I've seen and heard about in passing around the net and such. I gave them a listen, not too bad, they clearly blend other elements than just black metal into their sound and that appealed to me. Plus I dig stuff that uses foreign (to me) culture as source material for inspiration as opposed to the same old "we're so evil, oooooh" routine. But are they actually apart of 3rd wave black, or should they go more into the progressive/avant-garde grouping or nowhere at all? Speaking of I have a few names in those blocks I haven't even heard, like Ephel Duath, right now that is just a name to me. So forgive my ignorance here and help brotha out.

Many of the brackets I'm fortunately more knowledgeable about. For instance the melodeath sections. I'm aware that the whole Gothenburg sound is a love it or hate type of thing. But I love it, and because of that, I feel that I've listed the biggest and best names that the melodeath style has to offer. So you won't find any clunkers like Sonic Syndicate up there. I feel my prog section is similar in that regard in that I'm confident I have some quality stuff there. Same with the folk block too and others.

You guys have already helped a lot in general and with the black metal stuff, but if your fav bands are still missing from a section they could be in don't hesitate to speak up, or I'll have to fill those lists on a hunch.

I decided to do some searches to help with the blocks that you haven't completely lined up. Here are some things that I found.

Keep Exumer for the 7th position of Teutonic Thrash. Can't find anything saying Enemy of the Sun in is that genre.

For first wave of Black, why not Golgotha? Second wave could get Skyclad.

In Power Pioneers, I read that Savage Garden was apart of the genre and that Racer X was split between it and heavy metal.

Lunatic Gods could go into Avant-garde or progressive death/experimental.

Too late for exhumer and enemy, they have both been 86'd in favor of adding the mighty Coroner to the block. I'm gonna wait for more intel for the BM stuff, but thank you for the suggestions which may come in handy. Good look on Savage Garden, I will drop Racer X. They were both speed metal bands and speed isn't really a fully realized genre. Savage Grace does have a f'n awesome album cover for Master of Disguise, I think that might be reason enough alone. (Also I know u meant Savage Grace, but Savage Garden... was a light-hearted, pop alternative band from the 90's :lol:)

I'll add that last band for the time being.

TY again for the ground work.

Probably nothing, you probably just typed it wrong, or whoever wrote the article you read typed it wrong. hehe

Anyways, I'm headed out to go watch Extreme Rules. I might be on later tonight, not sure. But I'm gonna start the tourny this week, and begin with thrash. I won't necessarily go in order down the list after that bracket though, I'll wait until a given bracket is finalized or seems finished enough before I start it. So while thrash and whatever is next is going on, I'll still take suggestions here for the other brackets that haven't started yet. But I will not change things in the voting thread, once it goes up for votes, that's that. :cool:

Archived