Michael Cole & Jim Ross in WWE '12: Why the hate?

King RyderFan

You dont think highly of rude? One of the greats and you call yourself a wrestling fan.

I am a wrestling fan. A fan of the current crop of wrestlers; like Tyson Kidd and Zack Ryder. As far as Legends go, they should stay away from WWE games unless:

1) They have appeared on TV thhroughout the year

2)It is a legends' game.

DLC slots is very limited to what can be used and making joke characters is not amusing. Id rather we had 2 Legends instead.

THQ have announced that no more DLCs are going to be added to WWE '12 so you might as well get Michael Cole and Jim Ross just for the fun of it! :)

Like the others also said, Regal, Booker and Lawler were real wrestlers for many years and only became commentators much later (when they hit their 50s to be exact).

JR and Cole were rather comic relief and everything they did in the ring (sause match? Really?) was just taking away viewing time from wrestlers (superstars and divas) that would had needed it badly.

Are they good on commentary? For sure! Should they be in the games? Yes BUT as commentators and available NPCs for the story designer and manager roles, definately not as wrestlers.

Everytime cole started his stupid rants on tv which lasted 10-15 minutes while he got shoved to our face additional 10-15 minutes in previous segments I wanted to jump into the ring and kick him out of it, making him fall into a hole that leads to the center of the earth so we won't have to endure his "I need to be a good heel so JR can sell more sauce as a face" attitude any longer.

I hated their whole feud and found it a huge waste of viewing time to say the least. Boring and Predictable.

The feud actually made me turn off WWE for a while. It got to a point I was so sick of it and the brainless guys in WWE figured hey Cole pisses the fans off so much so lets put him on Smackdown as well to piss those fans off.

So I just decided to not watch it until the feud was over and just read the internet results instead. The only thing I did watch was the mania match which was to piss over Jerry Lawlers entire career and book him to lose at the biggest PPV of the year for yet another crappy match at over the limit.

Well, those are your opinions but my opinion is that if you have wrestled in the last twelve months and are going to be in the game as an NPC (commentary or otherwise) then you should be on the playable roster for the game, especially if that match was one of the most hyped up matches of WrestleMania. Cole & Lawler were already doing commentary for the game as well as the fact that they had one of the most hyped matches at WrestleMania 27. So, in my opinion, they should have been playable in WWE '12.

As for Jim Ross; people always seem to think that WWF No Mercy had the greatest roster of all time; but when THQ tries to replicate that roster level by including Ross, all they get is people moaning at them and calling them idiots for some reason. Strangely, there are/were no complaints about Vince McMahon/Shane McMahon/Vickie Guerrero being playable though.

My problem is that there were people who were more deserving of being in the game, I would have rather seen AJ and Kaitlyn take those 2 spots as they had been on NXT for a while before then. Just keeping them in Story Designer would have been the best thing.

Please tell me you are joking with the bolded sentence as this is one of my biggest problems with THQ. They make people NPCs even though they have had a profound wrestling careers. *coughTazz*cough*

I was POed when JR & Coach & Lawler were not playable in HCTP/SVR2005/any other game they were featured in but not playable for some reason. Especially Lawler because of the fact that in one storyline in HCTP's season mode you are in a tag match with him as your partner [For those of you who have not played HCTP, in its season mode when you are in a tag match and you tag your partner, you start playing as the partner you tagged in] and when you tag Lawler; you can't even play as him! :facepalm: And occasionally, when you hacked out the legends with a cheat device, they even had full movestets and were ready to be put on the playable roster! Which leaves the question; why were they not put on the playable roster?

Back on topic, allowing THQ to be lazy like relegating Cole/JR/Lawler to story designer mode just means that they will be even lazier in the future. And if JR/Cole's presence in WWE '12 ruins the roster for you; then let's take a look at how rubbish No Mercy's roster is when it is given the "JR/Cole treatment" and how many "joke wrestlers there are there;

Shane/Stephanie/Vince McMahon (3)

Earl Hebner (4)

Howard Finkel (5)

Cole (6)

Lawler (7)

JR (8)

Paul Bearer (9)

The Stooges (11)

Moolah/Mae Young (13)

In total, there are 13, yes 13 "joke" wrestlers in No Mercy. More "joke" wrestlers then there have ever been in the SmackDown! Vs. RAW series.

But what about if we look at the other side of the coin? What if THQ took the advice from about 90% of this forum and decided NOT to include Jim & Michael in WWE '12? My prediction is that 90%. of the forum would be calling THQ morons for "not including someone who was in one of the most hyped up matches at WrestleMania 27".

As you may recall, No Mercy featured a special referee match. This match type gave a good reason to have those 'joke' wrestlers in there because you could use them in a more conventional way. Also, the reason No Mercy is hailed has having a great roster was because it included just about everyone it possibly could AND had those other people in it. Not only that, but everyone had four available attires that were completely editable. For what it's worth though, a couple of the female wrestlers were actually split up within one model.

One thing I will say about those non-wrestlers in the game....it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't taking up space in one of the biggest modes of the game, Universe. Because of the fact that you can't ever seem to completely write off a superstar, it makes it even worse when one of the joke wrestlers shows up and you can't get rid of them.

I don't mind them being there at all. I just wish I didn't have to jump through hoops to insure that they don't show up every single show in Universe mode. There should be a simple checkbox function to remove people from Universe. How hard would that be to code?

I don't mind them being there at all. I just wish I didn't have to jump through hoops to insure that they don't show up every single show in Universe mode. There should be a simple checkbox function to remove people from Universe. How hard would that be to code?

Sorry to take the cheap shot but.....it would probably be easier for a camel to go through the eye of needle than for THQ/Yukes to code that properly.

I don't play as Cole or Ross, but I use Ross as Lawler commentary partner in Story Creator and Cole & Regal for SmackDown.

Since Cole, Lawler & Ross are playable I created a few interesting Storylines and I'm happy that they're in.

(Ofcourse I would more like to have the NXT Roster, Matt Striker, Josh Matthews, etc. as NPCs)

How funny people ratting on Moolah when she won the womens title.

I was thinking the same thing. Joke wrestler, really?? smh...

Anyway , I didn't mind Cole since I knew we'd be getting a better ankle lock but I would have preferred the inclusion of Jake Roberts over Ross. God I miss using Roberts like I did in 11. Trust me...

Their is a big difference between Vince McMahon being playable and JR being playable. Vince McMahon has been involved in some very big fueds over the years including Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, DX, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Undertaker and he's a former WWF Champion, plus people want to beat him up.

JR has done nothing other than pour BBQ sauce on King's foot while it was put in Cole's mouth, which by the way was disguising.

Anyway as to whether they should be in or not, to be honest, I don't really care either way. I just wish THQ would let us use DLC in Storyline Designer as I have plans for some of the characters like Jerry Lawler, Batista, Vickie Guerrero, Mick Foley, The Rock, hell they even gave us Miz's T-Shirt and Suit from RtWM as DLC and it's unusable, unless you use Miz as a manager in Exibition (don't play Universe Mode so have no idea if it's used in promo's or not).

I will say this though about Cole being DLC the commentary is awesome, I like how he and King rip on each others characters.

I can see why they were included, but as Dazman mentioned it would have been much better to have AJ & Kaitlyn, or maybe The Usos.

I have yet to see a Kaitlyn caw to my liking

hbk89 has a very good one up for ps3.

I don't understand why they can't add all current and widely popular legends! UFC 3 has almost 150 people! Space isn't an issue. If they say it thats a lie. We haven't even saw 100 people in the game!

I think money restrictions is the reason they don't include loads of legends. But they should include all current Smackdown, Raw & Nxt wrestlers, and if possible the roster from FCW.

Archived