John Cena Reveals The Real Life Issues He Has With The Rock

AustinFan

During a recent interview conducted for the Hot Clicks Podcast on SportsIllustrated.com, WWE star John Cena hyped his match against The Rock at WrestleMania 28, and had the following to say concerning the real life problems he has with Dwayne Johnson:

I disagree with the way he does business...I congratulate him on all his success. He's had a Hall of Fame resume in WWE. His movies have grossed over $1 billion worldwide. But if was my career path, I would have done it differently...I disagree with some of the decisions he made.

All that time being gone, and the total process he took to try to reinvent himself. I can show you magazine covers that say 'The Rock is Dead,' or ringside interviews where he's said, 'I'll never go back to wrestling.' Just talking bad about the vehicle that got you to the dance, and then when the dust settles wanting to come back to the dance.

You can listen to much more by clicking on the above link.

Credit: WrestleZone.com

http://www.wrestlezo...s-with-the-rock

The funny thing you can't even voice your opinion on that matter anymore, I'd say I see his point and generally agreeing with him, not on on everything, but on some parts. But now I am obviously a idiot who bought into Cena's on screen character.

Dwayne reinvented himself as he didn't want to be seen as a wrestler who does movies but rather an actual real actor.

This. I mean, it was still his call, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he had a small army of agents and producers and financial advisers and such in his ear, telling him to distance himself from wrestling so he wouldn't be seen as just a 1 dimensional, muscle bound wrestler guy who can play a very limited number of parts. I don't recall him ever really throwing wrestling under the bus either. I just remember interviewers asking him about it, and he'd say, Oh I don't do that anymore, as I'm retired. So as far as I know, he didn't really talk bad about the WWE, so much as he just distanced himself from it.

Do I buy into what Cena is talking about here? Not entirely no. He makes some good points but at the same time he makes some bad points.

I just don't see why The Rock would come back to wrestling if he has all these movies and deals outside of wrestling. I would talk about wrestling like its how he got to where he was today... I wouldn't diss it or hate on it...

Yes, The Rock killed himself as "The Rock" but that was so he wasn't made fun of in Hollywood for being a wrestler, which I'm sure in show business are looked down on.

True. He needed to establish himself in Hollywood before going back to wrestling due to Hollywood's perception of pro wrestling, despite the fact that a lot of the actors and actresses themselves are wrestling fans.

Dwayne reinvented himself as he didn't want to be seen as a wrestler who does movies but rather an actual real actor.

This man deserves an award!

I do remember those "The Rock is dead" articles and magazine covers.

yea me too which those articles and magazine covers amounted to absolutely nada....

I agree with him. I've heard him completely undermine his wrestling background a bunch of times.

I didnt. He always was positive about it. The only thing that can be deemed as negative was the name and the whole no plans of not going back. Rock treated WWE with a ton of respect and did plenty of interviews about wrestling over the years. All positive thoughts. His time away and treatment towards WWE was much different than say, Brock Lesnar.

The portion of this interview about Rock just screams kayfabe. Cena himself has said that Rock was gracious towards WWE while away, so now all of a sudden its different now? He's Just pushing the feud here. Cena is and always has been a big fan of The Rock. The only thing his orignal, rela life gripe was, was that Rock wasnt coming back from time to time. He just wanted to see Rock show up and give the fans a fun night. To quote him, "raise a peoples eyebrow once, and then get out of town"Rock does that stuff now so Cena in actually has already been satisfied.

Wait a minute... is this Cena's attempt at career advice? I suppose he should have taken his route and stayed in the WWE, decided to be one character his whole career, and have a whole line of brightly colored shirts to top it all off.

Lots of wrestlers in a manner of speaking have done that. They went face and heel, few different gimmicks, but look at people like HBK, Triple H, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio and many more who just did wrestling and some small side projects.. CM Punk will probably be another guy to do the same, along with Randy Orton as well.

Nothing wrong with sticking with the path you love. Cena never said The Rock was wrong, he just disagreed. Maybe he feels the The Rock could of been a even bigger wrestling Icon if he never left, Or he could of helped in the back with young talent.... then again, I am just speculating.

Cena can complain all he wants but the fact is The Rock has made his career the way he chose to and even when he is away from the ring for 7 years is more popular than ever when he returns and I have to say I don't believe "The Rock Is Dead" or "I'll Never Go Back To Wrestling" articles for a minute.

Wait a minute... is this Cena's attempt at career advice? I suppose he should have taken his route and stayed in the WWE, decided to be one character his whole career, and have a whole line of brightly colored shirts to top it all off.

Lots of wrestlers in a manner of speaking have done that. They went face and heel, few different gimmicks, but look at people like HBK, Triple H, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio and many more who just did wrestling and some small side projects.. CM Punk will probably be another guy to do the same, along with Randy Orton as well.

Nothing wrong with sticking with the path you love. Cena never said The Rock was wrong, he just disagreed. Maybe he feels the The Rock could of been a even bigger wrestling Icon if he never left, Or he could of helped in the back with young talent.... then again, I am just speculating.

The manner in which Cena talks is pathetic. He doesn't talk on behalf of the public (which he makes claims to do), he's talking for himself. He's acting like The Rock left, said to hell with wrestling, and forgot his roots-- that was never the case.

He acts like he owes us all countless appearances, EVERY Raw Special, EVERY SmackDown record, EVERY event, which is unrealistic with his schedule. When he does make the effort to at least record a message, surprise. What does Cena do? Bitches about it being via satellite. The Rock has called him out for being a bitch since day one, which is a fact, since that's all he's done about The Rock since he's left.

He can have these 'real life issues' he has with him all he wants. Talk about how he's here, and The Rock isn't. Talk about how 'hard' he works, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still arenas filled with people that boo his ass, and would rather cheer for the 'sell out'.

At the end of the day, the choices The Rock has made for his movie career were obviously the right ones. He's been in countless blockbusters, and is sure to make more in future. It's hard enough for people in all forms of entertainment to break into other the movie business, let alone a pro wrestler. That's an impressive accomplishment, and he should be proud of how hard he worked to get there.

And that's what's wrong with American wrestling, no disrespect. When I lived in Japan a few years ago, I regularly see Shinskay, Tana and Mutoh on TV Shows, Variety, music vids.

And despite being wrestlers, they are still respected because people knows there is a fine line between a guy who's in real sport and sports entertainment.

The manner in which Cena talks is pathetic. He doesn't talk on behalf of the public (which he makes claims to do), he's talking for himself. He's acting like The Rock left, said to hell with wrestling, and forgot his roots-- that was never the case.

He acts like he owes us all countless appearances, EVERY Raw Special, EVERY SmackDown record, EVERY event, which is unrealistic with his schedule. When he does make the effort to at least record a message, surprise. What does Cena do? Bitches about it being via satellite. The Rock has called him out for being a bitch since day one, which is a fact, since that's all he's done about The Rock since he's left.

He can have these 'real life issues' he has with him all he wants. Talk about how he's here, and The Rock isn't. Talk about how 'hard' he works, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still arenas filled with people that boo his ass, and would rather cheer for the 'sell out'.

At the end of the day, the choices The Rock has made for his movie career were obviously the right ones. He's been in countless blockbusters, and is sure to make more in future. It's hard enough for people in all forms of entertainment to break into other the movie business, let alone a pro wrestler. That's an impressive accomplishment, and he should be proud of how hard he worked to get there.

this.

also to add:

sticking with the path you love doesn't mean a rat's ass to the crowd who desperately boos you and wants you to turn to the path THEY want. In the end its all about what THE CROWD wants and not about what YOU AS A WRESTLER want.

Also, as St. Micholas said, cena's just talking for himself, believing he speaks for the rest of us. He thinks that he's a big enough star to convince the crowd to boo a star who was 10x what cena is now. Cena let wrestling-fame get to his head. He believes he's a good superstar because vince wanted him to look like that. its not because he really is all that good.

and as for cena "disagreeing" with the rock instead of saying "the rock is wrong", that's basically saying "Hey I think you shouldn't have done that, and that you're wrong for doing that, but I don't want you to discuss it with me because I might be wrong and end up being miserable when you prove it". He said essentially the same thing.

Archived