The Walking Dead: The Video Game

Alex.

The Walking Dead. For years, the title was known -- and adored -- by comic fans, and then this past October the franchise went mainstream with the AMC television show. Now, it's a phenomenon that nearly everyone knows about.

A video game was inevitable, and Telltale Games is happy to answer the call. Today, the developers behind adventure games such as Back to the Future and Sam & Max announced that it has entered into a "multi-year, multi-platform, multi-title" Walking Dead partnership with Robert Kirkman, creator of the franchise. Specific platforms for the project weren't announced, but the agreement covers PC, Mac, consoles, handhelds, mobile and social gaming media. Telltale is looking at a fourth quarter 2011 release.

We don't know about you, but those aren't enough hard details for us. That said, we grabbed Robert Kirkman and threw our burning questions at him about the game, TV show and Invincible. What did he have to say? Let's find out...

tba-the-walking-dead-the-game-20110217030411807-000.jpg

The first piece of art for the game.

IGN: A Walking Dead game?! Does this prove conclusively that there is a God, Mr. Kirkman?

Robert Kirkman: I think the jury is still out on that one, but the trail is definitely warm.

IGN: What kind of game is this? Third-person action? Adventure? Where does this game take place in terms of the Walking Dead timeline? Will we see characters that haven't been explored on TV and/or comics? Who do we play as? Are we Rick, someone in his group or just a survivor in the Walking Dead World? Oh, snap, are we zombies?! Tell us something?!

Robert Kirkman: The game is at an early stage, and we're in the process of mapping this all out now.

IGN: What Walking Dead universe does the game fall into? Is it happening in the comic world? The TV show? A mix of both?

Robert Kirkman: Definitely within the comic book world, just like the novel series.

IGN: Telltale is known for episodic adventures; is that what's happening here?

Robert Kirkman: Yes, it's definitely episodic.

IGN: If I can bend your ear and beard about the TV show, the last two episodes of Season 1 veered drastically away from the comic book. Will Season 2 continue down this path and into original TV stories or will it be circling back around to pick up storylines from the comic?

Robert Kirkman: For the most part, it will be circling back around but, like the entirety of the first season, there will always be divergences from the comic story to keep people on their toes.

IGN: Besides Frank Darabont, it's a new group of writers for Season 2. Have you talked to Glen Mazzara about the direction they're looking to go with the series? If so, what is it?

Robert Kirkman: I've been working closely with Glen for a week now, and you're going to have to wait for any details, because I can't reveal anything right now.

IGN: Are there any characters you're hoping to see introduced soon on the show?

Robert Kirkman: Yes -- Michonne, Tyrese, Hershel... whether or not we'll get to all of them in [season 2]is up in the air. I'm looking forward to most every comic book character making it into the show, but I'm excited to see who we actually do get to.

IGN: You wrote an episode in season one, are you going to pen one in season two?

Robert Kirkman: Currently, yes.

IGN: A whole bunch of your books just popped up on Comixology -- a digital comic store -- what's your take on digital comics? Why are so many publishers afraid to embrace it and when will they?

Robert Kirkman: I think that it's pretty clear at this point that everything is moving towards digital, it's just a question of how soon everything will be there. I don't really understand why publishers are worried because it's been proven that a digital audience doesn't eat into their print audience, and I, for one, enjoy selling my comic to an entirely new audience.

IGN: Does this Walking Dead game get us any closer to an Invincible game -- or is that the true test of whether or not there's a higher power?

Robert Kirkman: Yeah, I guess that is the true test -- no comment on whether an Invincible game is close to being made or not.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1150836p1.html

If this ends up with silly graphics like Back To The Future, it may not be all that good but I'm really looking forward to what Telltale can piece together in this game. I don't think it'll be able to compete with the likes of Dead Island and Left 4 Dead, but it's going to be very interesting to see what type of game this is going to turn out to be.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, Telltale is a decent enough developer, but I don't think they'll be able to do a zombie game justice. All they primarily do is CSI games and Sam and Max.

Yeah, I was wondering this. I don't know of TWD could work in the style of game they do unless they whip out a whole new genre.

Not sure about this... I love Telltale (Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island...) but they're style doing a zombie video-game? Dunno how that's gonna turn out. I just hope they don't try to go with realistic graphics otherwise they will look like the CSI games.

They're actually doing the new Jurassic Park game, which looks amazing graphically.

And the game will be based off the comics instead of the TV Show, which i find weird because most people won't recognize characters that haven't appeared in the TV show or events that didn't happen in the show, either.

Not sure about this... I love Telltale (Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island...) but they're style doing a zombie video-game? Dunno how that's gonna turn out. I just hope they don't try to go with realistic graphics otherwise they will look like the CSI games.

They're actually doing the new Jurassic Park game, which looks amazing graphically.

Oh yeah, just saw the screenshots. I wouldn't say they looked amazing, but it's certainly an improovement from the CSI games.

• 1 year later...

I'd prefer it be more along the lines off TV as it will easily open up to the extended people who watched the TV series then read the comics, I can already tell this isn't going to be like Dead Island which set the bench mark for zombie games (even tho it was pretty low considering it wasn't a awesome game) IMHO, open world, do quests for people, continue the story obviously there isn't much freedom in TWD but running around Hersels farm doing quests for people maybe drive into town looking for Hersel would be fun but a guy can dream

I don't understand how a bigger Dev didn't pick this up considering its potential in sales and a potential to make a decent zombie game, I mean the storys there so there goes months of writing the story out, characters are in as well as areas are there so no need trying to think of characters and places, Dead Island sales proved even a rusty buggy average first person open world zombie game can sell shit loads of copys, theres a market yet nobody has realised it and with the name behind that it'll easily by past Dead Island sales easily

"Kirkman has said that, unlike typical zombie games such as Left 4 Dead, it will focus more on characterization and emotion than action." just sums this game up.

This game isn't based on the story of the books or the show. You don't play as anyone in those, you play as an entirely different set of survivors, so they are basically starting from scratch as far as that goes. The setting is already there.

From what I hear it looks good so far and it's a little different than the standard TellTale style of game. And not in the horrible Jurassic Park way either, and of course this is episodic, so they will have the cliffhangers leading into the next episode.

Time will tell...

A topic for the game has already been made (by me too :)) and I'll merge it.

The search feature isn't working so if you tried searching, it's alright :)

Ah, okay. Thanks for that :)

I think the whole concept will be interesting, especially since they aren't going by the TV series and puting new characters into the mix. I read on IGN that the first gameplay video is supposed to be up on Monday.

Because the walking dead is based off of drama, not zombie killing humans with no emotion.

Kill to survive, if walkers are there it seems like from this there actually scratching the window walkers then suddenly cutscene, zombie breaks through someone dies, walker dies then back to game "Oh that was scary" quest pop up (Board up window) "Oh no I can't believe X person is dead" *cries*

If you have a zombie game which has little action in its not a zombie game and there not true zombies, you might as well have original romero zombies then, there just milking a successful franchise name

Who said there is little action? Exactly.

The gameplay trailer reveal is Monday, and from screenshots shown from a while back, there's actually fighting.

This game isn't based on the story of the books or the show. You don't play as anyone in those, you play as an entirely different set of survivors, so they are basically starting from scratch as far as that goes. The setting is already there.

From what I hear it looks good so far and it's a little different than the standard TellTale style of game. And not in the horrible Jurassic Park way either, and of course this is episodic, so they will have the cliffhangers leading into the next episode.

Time will tell...

It's set in the universe of the books. You will encounter characters from the books, Glenn is the only confirmed one so far.

Good find Alex.

I lol'd at "Don't touch my knee" :lol:

I hope this game leaves up to allowing a good deal of decision making by the player. Not all games need a robust choice & consequence system. I feel sometimes people expect too much of certain franchises in that department when the core game does not revolve around that sort of thing. But the way this TWD game is being described it sounds like it requires a fully realized choice & consequence system that the rest of the game is built around.

I'm glad they are using a different cast than the show or comics. It's really the only way they can have the freedom to tell a unique story in any game.

I have low expectations for this, honestly. Telltale Games doesn't exactly make the best games, and movie/television based games are 9/10 times pretty bad. I mean while it has potential to be a good game, I doubt it will.

Archived