Boxing Thread

RVD 4:20

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those McGregor fans that were popping shit are making excuses now. I'm enjoying all the salt

He doesn't even need an excuse, tbh.

Fight went to the 10th, and was ended via stoppage. All that shit-talking about McGregor being a rookie, and succumbing to the "sweet science"...he almost went the duration of an entire fight...against "the best of all time". I mean...McGregor got very sluggish very fast. He definitely lost steam...and when that happened, he was definitely not going to win. But, Mayweather didn't really impress in any sort of fashion, IMO. The "rookie who has never fought a boxing match" routine goes both ways...it doesn't just work for talking shit about McGregor. Mayweather just went to the 10th with a guy who never fought a boxing match before that. How is that anything less than embarrassing for him?

McGregor came out of that fight looking like someone who tried something different and wasn't sure how to limit his own striking to go the distance. Mayweather came out of that just looking like a dude who is at the end of his career. And that's just honesty. I haven't even heard anyone making excuses for McGregor...

The key here is that Mayweather is a boxer, McGregor is a FIGHTER. I know that may sound corny on paper, but it's obvious when applied to real life that Mayweather used all the rules and regulations to his advantage, he let Connor gas himself out and then started to hit him hard, I mean Connor didn't even know the rules during the fight lol. If these two met in UFC or even on the street Floyd would get sent to the hospital asap, that is if he doesn't run away first or have five or six of his dudes save him.

Why is UFC being brought up? Lol Clearly Floyd couldn't do MMA. Sounds like a cop out. Floyd ain't the one who talked mad shit and challenged someone on their turf. Connor did, and he got his ass washed. The passive aggressive shit on here, Facebook and blogs is funny for sure. The salt is and all will always be real. The champ won. Simple.

Fight was most likely rigged anyways. All about that money. You're crazy if you though McGregor would win. He got paid to lose.

Yeah a man with little boxing experience got paid to lose against the greatest defensive boxer of the modern era. RIIIIIIIGHT :lol:

Why is UFC being brought up? Lol Clearly Floyd couldn't do MMA. Sounds like a cop out. Floyd ain't the one who talked mad shit and challenged someone on their turf. Connor did, and he got his ass washed. The passive aggressive shit on here, Facebook and blogs is funny for sure. The salt is and all will always be real. The champ won. Simple.

I don't recall that being the case at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Floyd did talk a bunch of shit about Conor, and MMA in general. I think the whole thing started because Floyd made comments about the UFC being some sub form of fighting or something. Which lead to Conor saying that he would whoop Floyd's ass...and eventually lead to Conor getting his boxing license...because he knew that Mayweather wouldn't meet him in the octagon. So, yeah...if memory serves me right, you have your entire story ass-backwards. I know the hype for this fight has been going on forever, and it's hard to remember back that far...but Conor definitely wasn't just randomly shit-slinging at Floyd. It was one of those back and forth things that started with Floyd disrespecting Conor's sport. McGregor wanted to do boxing because he knew that's where the money is...Floyd talked shit about a UFC fighter not being a real fighter, etc. That's where it all came from.

Pretending like Floyd was the victim of some great verbal abuse and social injustice...lol.

The last part of your comment is probably accurate, tbh.

You're actually right lol

I don't recall that being the case at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Floyd did talk a bunch of shit about Conor, and MMA in general. I think the whole thing started because Floyd made comments about the UFC being some sub form of fighting or something. Which lead to Conor saying that he would whoop Floyd's ass...and eventually lead to Conor getting his boxing license...because he knew that Mayweather wouldn't meet him in the octagon. So, yeah...if memory serves me right, you have your entire story ass-backwards. I know the hype for this fight has been going on forever, and it's hard to remember back that far...but Conor definitely wasn't just randomly shit-slinging at Floyd. It was one of those back and forth things that started with Floyd disrespecting Conor's sport. McGregor wanted to do boxing because he knew that's where the money is...Floyd talked shit about a UFC fighter not being a real fighter, etc. That's where it all came from.

False. McGregor definitely started it when TMZ asked him would he be interested in a fight with Floyd and from the interview on he bashed Floyd's skill and more. Don't know where you got the idea Floyd started it first.

Floyd's not innocent either way. It's not like he got punked and couldn't stand for such disrespect. He's just as much a part of the shit-slinging. McGregor talked down Mayweather's skill, Mayweather talked down mma in general. Also, after watching the fight, I don't think Conor is wrong in talking shit about Floyd's skill. He certainly wasn't the faster of the two, or the more precise of the two...he just capitalized on Conor being tired. Prior to McGregor being gassed, he was the faster and more precise of the two fighters. Easily. Floyd was the smarter fighter. He is a smart fighter. He's had a legendary career because he's a smart fighter...but other areas of skill were definitely called into question, tbh.

• 6 months later...

Really soured by the outcome to the Ortiz/Wilder fight.

Luis Ortiz is my ideal boxer. He represents what boxing can and should be. I know that I can't complain too much, because he did lose...but it's a shame. He was winning every round clean, and then he got caught. I also didn't care for that blatant toss into the ropes by Wilder. Just a bummer to see a guy who could have done a lot to bring boxing back to the glory days get stopped by another "I'm rich and cocky" gimmick fighter...

If the rematch happens (and it should), I'm watching that for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to boxing, and my interest is patchy at best. But I've got a really strange feeling that Parker is beating AJ on Saturday.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Couple of title fights on Fox PPV tonight (that just sounds wrong, doesn't it?)

Leo Santa Cruz captured the WBC Super Featherwight title in a unanimous decision over Miguel Flores. Flores certainly put up a fight but he (like everyone, really) just got outworked by Santa Cruz, who has now won belts in 4 different divisions.

The main event was a rematch of WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder defending against Cuban powerhouse Luis Ortiz, whom he bested by KO at the beginning of 2018. Despite coming into the fight in much better shape, Ortiz once again fell to Wilder's game-breaking right hand. Once again, Ortiz was technically ahead of Wilder and was the more active fighter but per the course for Wilder fights, he got in one great right and it was over. 42-0-1 with 41 KOs isn't a fluke, especially having defended his strap for over 4 years at this point. I certainly hated seeing Ortiz go down like that (again) but Wilder's pending rematch with Tyson Fury (the only non-win on both of their records) and prospective HW unification match is a MUST for the division. Wilder's not the most fun fighter to watch......until he inevitably lands that one monster shot, then it's well worth having seen him sleepwalk his way through the first 4-5 rounds of a given fight. 43 fights and only two of them didn't end in a KO victory. Pretty unreal.

I don't know if anybody here still keeps up with it but I thought them interesting fights

• 2 weeks later...

Archived