The Metal Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A7X is metal..

Not really, tbh. Their first two albums were metalcore, after that they went with a more hard rock with SOME metal influences. By definition, you can call them metal, but they are the loosest definition of it.

Yeah Death may be one of the only bands that we all come together on. Partly because their music kicks ass... and I think partly because Chuck was such a cool guy that didn't take his music too seriously. Too often it seems, a lot of frontmen of black and death bands come off like some kind of pretentious cult leader or some shit. But Chuck was just a regular, normal, chill person and he did a TON to help the image of metal as a whole. I'm really glad we don't have any neanderthals on this board who talk shit because Chuck stood up for animal rights or any of the other things that some idiots deem as "gaay and not metal" despite the fact that Death helped create, define and personify their favorite genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdEQ2F6YG4&feature=related

They fit with my progenitors of metal sub-genres theme that I talked about earlier as a good leaping off point for the new thread. However, they also fortunately get a lot of credit for their work which is good. I put up Altering the Future because that is exactly what this band did (even though that song is about entirely different things).

Who else do we all agree on? No offense Fried, but most of the stuff you put up... is just sort of (and by sort of I mean REALLY) weird to me. But then Fried put some old school Carcass!! I think most of us can agree on them being awesome.

Who else?

Yeah, Death is one of the few bands we can all love.

As for your question, sold13r, I guess Megadeth can be considered as one of those kinds of bands. Celtic Frost as well (if we can look past Cold Lake and in my case, Into the Pandemonium). Possibly Vader, Iron Maiden, and Mercyful Fate too.

I guess I'll go ahead and say that I don't really like Death... aaaaaannnyway...

You're not metal enough for this thread, then.

Nah, I'm *censored*ing with you, but someone's gonna ask why, so be prepared. Revocation is a great band, the guitarist is one of the most talented players I've heard recently. It's just a shame that he's also the main vocalist. The songs would be so much better without the metalcorish vocals. It's not like I hate them, it's just they don't really match with the sound of the band.

As expected I guess, no, I don't listen to Death nowadays.

For me the most important bands are Bathory, Hellhammer, (old) Destruction, (old) Samael, Burzum, Darkthrone. They are the most important bands to me. They are bands that have inspired me and continue to inspire me.

Anyway, here's some more weirdness from this neanderthal.

As expected I guess, no, I don't listen to Death nowadays.

For me the most important bands are Bathory, Hellhammer, (old) Destruction, (old) Samael, Burzum, Darkthrone. They are the most important bands to me. They are bands that have inspired me and continue to inspire me.

Anyway, here's some more weirdness from this neanderthal.

Well hey, at least you're a good sport about it. :cool:

And I'm not hating... because everyone should stick with the music that inspires them. So many mindless people just go along with whatever the media puts in front of them that I respect anyone who follows their own drum. I was just being honest that some of your offerings here seem rather bizarre to me. It can be interesting though because a lot of the bands you post I wouldn't otherwise even know existed.

Yeah, Death is one of the few bands we can all love.

As for your question, sold13r, I guess Megadeth can be considered as one of those kinds of bands. Celtic Frost as well (if we can look past Cold Lake and in my case, Into the Pandemonium). Possibly Vader, Iron Maiden, and Mercyful Fate too.

Yeah Megadeth is one of those bands I've been a huge fan of for ages. Everyone here I would imagine likes them. Sometimes people get a little too caught up in the Metallica vs Megadeth nonsense though (not on CAWs, I just mean on the internetz in general). Honestly though if Metallica just vanished and ascended and became one with the Universe or something right after Justice (or hell even the Black Album) debuted then I feel they would be one of the main bands that all metalheads can unite on. But they continued making music after that and... um... well... hmmm...yeeaah we know how that went...

Moving on:

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are givens! Anyone who hates any of those bands is simply NOT a metalhead. I don't care what sub-genre anyone is obsessed with... you have to revere the founding fathers of the archetype of metal itself. Even for metal fans who don't personally listen to any of them that much, you still have to give respect where due.

As for bands we can all agree on here... I'd say yes to Mercyful Fate and Vader! I can't say I'm on board with Celtic Frost though. I don't really have anything against them but they are one of those bands I am not very familiar with. I've honestly heard more about Frost on this msg board than in real life. Just a band that didn't come up much in my experience and from what little I've heard of them just didn't blow me away... not really my style.

As far as newer bands... everyone seems to like Warbringer, Municipal Waste and Vektor. All those guys are sorta leading the thrash revival charge.

Speaking of thrash, here is a band that never really gets their due. Hirax. It's an old band... sorta. The frontman (who says brothas don't love thrash metal) tried to reunite his old thrash band from the 80's in back 2000... but it didn't last that long so he put together a whole new lineup that was even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrERpCPF4rs

Yep, Hirax is pretty awesome.

I guess it might be a little hard for you to get into Celtic Frost since they went though so many styles during their years. I would check out Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return first, those were my favorite Celtic Frost albums, great mix of black and thrash with some death as well. If you dig the stuff there, check out To Mega Therion. Maybe you won't like them, but Celtic Frost (and before that, Hellhammer) were two VERY influential bands. They had some really epic shit back then.

Archived