Hockey Thread

Ernez

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are all of them available:

http://shop.nhl.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&kw=black+ice+premier+jersey&origkw=Black+Ice+Premier+Jersey&kwCatId=&view=all

Yeah the Detroit ones look pretty sweet. Though I don't get why they didn't put the C on all of them that were Captains. I mean, Koivu and Toews got a C on their jerseys. Why not Thornton, Ovechkin or Crosby? The one that stands out for me, is the Pittsburgh one, whereas the one that stands out the least is the Minnesota jersey. That green doesn't stand out at all. At least the Vancouver one stands out with its McDonald's ball pit green colour. The Colorado one ain't too flash either.

I think if they're gonna do jerseys like that for half of the teams in the league, they should later release jerseys for the other half. I think the Calgary one could look good. And what about the Kings? Would they use their old colour, purple? Or would they opt with their new colour, silver (or white)?

I like the New York Ranges the 2nd most color wise. The Blue and black color scheme has always been a top favorite of mine, and the Black/Blue Alt Uniforms for the Lions are my favorite NFL ones, so it's no wonder I like the Rangers...Too bad its the rangers :P Also I gotta agree with you on the green thing working better for Vancouver.

Yeah the Rangers jerseys look good. Couldn't see myself wearing one though. I'm sure Greg would love to see an Islanders jersey like that. And after checking the currency converter, one of them jerseys for me would cost $191...I think it'd be worth it :)

NHL.com has done an evaluation on certain numbers worn in the NHL, and which numbers has the greatest amount of talent to wear it. So far, they've done #1, #2, #7 and #9.

They have also done a list of all the numbers in the NHL, from 00 to 99, and picked who they think wore that number best. It's in 3 parts:

Part 1: 00-33

Part 2: 34-66

Part 3: 67-99

I honestly thought more players would have worn the #64. And lol at there only being one player in the history of the NHL to wear the #69, even if it was just for 2 games.

I was wondering if there's some sort of NHL TV thing, where I could stream NHL games legally. I'm willing to pay, and I'm wondering this as I got MLB.TV the other day (cost me like $25 for the rest of the season), and I can stream all of MLB games, watch the game back, see highlights etc. If there's something like that for NHL, then I'd definitely invest in it as it would make it a lot easier for me to follow the Red Wings (and the NHL), and meaning I wouldn't have to get them the way I currently do (I'm sure you can guess how I watch Red Wings games, but I can neither confirm nor deny due to the board rules and such :poke:). I know there's one for the NFL, but we get decent coverage of American Football over here, so I don't think that it's necessary for me to get that. It would be much appreciated if you have any info on this.

There is. I believe it's called NHL Gamecenter. I had it in 2009 as a Birthday present. I got all games for a month. It's pretty sweet.

Jets have unveiled their jerseys:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587741

I think they look a little basic. Like something is missing. Still not the worst looking jersey in the league.

Did anyone hear about that plane crash in Russia that killed a whole KHL team? It so bad. R.I.P. to those that died :(.

I honestly don't know how this offseason can get any worse. Hearing about this, and eventually looking at Alexander Galimov get carted out of an ambulance with burns all over his body, scarred me for life and ruined my day.

Truly the worst day in hockey history. Really has been :(

Everyone but 2 died in that plane crash (from what I heard on the news), including former NHL players Pavol Demitra and Ruslan Salei (one of my fave former Ducks players). RIP to everyone, and my condolences go out to all the families.

I remember hearing about this last night, but didn't see anything about it till I saw it on the news today. According to this, there were 43 fatalities.

What sucks about this, is that I was actually looking on eBay for a Ruslan Salei Mighty Ducks jersey a few days ago.

Good to hear Crosby will be back. Despise the Pens, but it was a shame to see a player of his caliber go down like that.

Speaking of season ending concussions, I wonder how David Perron of the Blues is doing. He suffered a concussion in November and was done for the season, and they still don't know if he can make it to camp. Terrible story for him. I really hope he gets better. He was playing lights out before he got sidelined.

It's even worse that because he's not a player of Crosby's caliber that ESPN or NHL websites don't really even follow his recovery.

Glad to hear you say that LIO. :D

Because when it comes down to it, the NHL is what?... the 4th most covered sport in America of the big 4 team sports. Then when the brightest star in the entire league goes down... the whole league suffers even more. It would be like a young Gretzky getting injured and considering retirement before his popularity greatly bolstered the popularity of hockey in the States... it would have just been bad for the league for not only the Great One's fans, but his detractors as well. Not that Sid is Gretz but you guys get the idea.

As for David Perron, (Matt) I feel that his limited coverage is what it is. Should he get more coverage than he does... sure why not. But the (ESPN especially) coverage of the NHL is limited to begin with and honestly some players are more important to the league than others. It's not just hockey or course. I guarantee if a mid-level player in the NFL gets his clock cleaned in week 1, it's not going to get anywhere near the coverage of Peyton Manning's injury progress... nor should it.

Ruslan Salei was one of the players who died in the plane crash!? I just now realized that. It feels so weird having watch him play with the wings last year. Thats really sad, Mccrimmon and he were the only ones I knew from the crash. Rip to all the players that died in the crash.

Chris Pronger has been named Captain of the Flyers. Honestly, when I was trying to think of players that could be named Captain, Pronger was top on that list. This also means Pronger has now been a Captain for 4 teams (St. Louis, Edmonton (though I may be wrong about that), Anaheim and Philadelphia).

Just finished watching the Jets first home game. Holy shit. It's only the preseason and the fans were going nuts. You would think it was playoff time. Amazing atmosphere they got. The players must've had a blast, and their new draft pick Mark Schiefele killed it. 2 goals and 2 assists. Got a feeling he's gonna be something special, and maybe make the roster this season.

Mike Modano announces his retirement

Former Dallas Stars forward Mike Modano, the NHL's all-time points leader among U.S.-born players, officially announced his retirement Wednesday.

The 41-year-old decided it was time to end his playing career after 21 years in the NHL, making the announcement on his Facebook page Wednesday, saying: "I've come to the decision that it's time to retire as a player from the NHL."

Modano confirmed the retirement to ESPNDallas.com shortly after that.

"I think I knew in my heart I was done after last season," Modano said. "I had a harder time coming to grips with it than I thought I would. Part of me wanted to play it out and see if anybody had called in July. When that didn't happen, I figured that's pretty much it.

"I wasn't working out much. I wasn't skating. There wasn't motivation to do much. I was traveling and at that point, I said, 'Let's pick a day here and get the thing on the calendar.'"

A news conference is slated for Friday morning at the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas.

Modano leaves as a soon-to-be Hall of Famer, holding the mark as the all-time points and goal scorer among U.S.-born players. The Michigan native was drafted first overall in 1988 by the Minnesota NorthStars and became the face of hockey in Dallas when the organization moved to Texas in 1993.

He played his final home game with the Stars on April 8, 2010, scoring the tying and winning goals in an emotional game. He considers it one of his greatest memories of his hockey career.

Modano said he will do some pregame work for the NHL Network in the coming weeks and hopes to do more of it as the season progresses. He's already slated to be on the pregame show for a handful of Stars games on FSSW. He'd like to work for the Stars organization once the ownership situation is resolved.

"Maybe in the PR or marketing side of it," Modano said. "I could maybe help talk to sponsors and work on getting the season tickets back up. When you have a new owner and a new direction and you get the money to do things, you can help build that support back. I'd like to help with that."

Modano wasn't ready to retire last year and signed a one-year deal with the Red Wings. But a wrist injury cost him half the season and when it was over, he said he had a feeling his career was over.

"I think I'll miss playoff hockey the most," Modano said. "There's just no other high than the playoff experience and being in the finals or being in those elimination games or knowing the Stanley Cup was in the building. I'll miss the guys, the locker room, the traveling. It's like a second family. You did a lot with them and accomplished a lot with them and you certainly will remember those great memories with those guys."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/story/_/id/7000619/dallas-stars-icon-mike-modano-announces-retirement

Archived