Football Manager

JayBee.

FOOTBALL MANAGER

Series Discussion

xnahe9.png

Noticed there wasn't a topic here for it, so I thought 'why not start one?'. Quite frankly, the game is so realistic and immersive, I'm surprised there wasn't already a topic, because I know a few people who are addicted to this game and I'm a bit taken back that nobody has decided to give this amazing franchise it's own thread.

So, discuss happenings in your current game, upcoming titles, your recent wonderkid discovery, a regen player brought up through the ranks who has turned out to be half-decent, how you took Histon from the depths of non-league football to toppling the mighty Barcelona in the Champions Leage Final or how you got sacked because you declared an ultimatum against the Board for not giving you more funds.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA Manager for the FIFA thread.

Anyway, I love Football Manager; I must've used up many hours playing that game. The attention to detail is amazing. My favourite has to be 2008 though; that was simply fantastic.

Love football manager, Clocked soo much hours on this. Best achievement is getting Southampton from league 1 to the Premiership, Got bored then another wise I guess would got into Europe. Any you guys download databases from FM-Base?

FIFA Manager for the FIFA thread.

Anyway, I love Football Manager; I must've used up many hours playing that game. The attention to detail is amazing. My favourite has to be 2008 though; that was simply fantastic.

Yeah, 2008 was awesome. I've got a new-found love for 2010, though, because my 2011 decided to die (numerous re-installations and nothing has worked), so I'm playing that to get me through to the eventual release of 2012.

My current save on 11 is in about 2030 I believe and I've tried to win every league I have loaded in the game, plus all domestic, European and international tournaments. Only have one league left now I think.

Which leagues have you got loaded, mate? I know a mate that tried doing it with England, Spain, France, Italy, Ukraine and Brazil. He got fed up after he had conquered France and Ukraine with AS Monaco and Dnipro :P

Love football manager, Clocked soo much hours on this. Best achievement is getting Southampton from league 1 to the Premiership, Got bored then another wise I guess would got into Europe. Any you guys download databases from FM-Base?

Never downloaded any sort of database, no. I've seen some interesting ones, but I think they'd always have flaws in them (like, if there was a database set around the Madrid Galacticos Era, with Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo etc.) then whoever has contributed to it will have f'd up with the little teams in some of the leagues, giving them randomly named players and whatnot, and I've always loved the fact FM has everything.

Currently top of the Championship with Albion in my first season, unbeaten and its January 2nd. I was expected to reach the 3rd round of the Carling Cup, decimated Torquay in the 1st round, beat Leicster in the 2nd, and came back from 3-1 down to equalise in extra time against Wolves and win them on penalties (I was celebrating as though it was real life - that would be freakin' amazing in reality) and booked a place in the Quarters versus United, who promptly hammered an albeit weakend side 3-0. I didn't fancy winning the cup anyway, I'm primarily focused on trying to stay unbeaten in the league, so the less games I have to play will be beneficial, especially considering I keep getting little injuries here and there.

Started a new one about a week ago with the update, won the Carling Cup with 2 last minute goals. Deserved that luck after the teams I was drew against. Macheda is a beast btw.

Do you have the unfortunate nack of drawing unbeatable sides? Yeah, in a save I had when 2010 was the newest edition out with Swindon, won League 1, came second by like, a point in the Championship, and stayed up in I think 16th in the Premier League whilst getting knocked out of the Semi-Final of a domestic cup (might've been FA), having drawn Man City after defeating Arsenal to get that far. Ridiculous. And the worse thing was, I was 2-0 up vs. City, and lost like, 4-2 -_-

Which leagues have you got loaded, mate? I know a mate that tried doing it with England, Spain, France, Italy, Ukraine and Brazil. He got fed up after he had conquered France and Ukraine with AS Monaco and Dnipro :P

England (PL-BSQ2), Italy, Spain, Holland, France, Russia, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Scotland, USA. Though my progress hasn't been as great as I thought, I still have a lot to go.

I've never played Football Manager, so i'm just wondering what kind of visualisation do you get for the matches? Is it like LMA where you watch the match itself or does it just show you the scores?

You can watch, but I choose not to do to a crappy laptop so it takes ages to finish a match. Even that however isn't as good as the LMA Manager one.

Started a new one about a week ago with the update, won the Carling Cup with 2 last minute goals. Deserved that luck after the teams I was drew against. Macheda is a beast btw.

Do you have the unfortunate nack of drawing unbeatable sides? Yeah, in a save I had when 2010 was the newest edition out with Swindon, won League 1, came second by like, a point in the Championship, and stayed up in I think 16th in the Premier League whilst getting knocked out of the Semi-Final of a domestic cup (might've been FA), having drawn Man City after defeating Arsenal to get that far. Ridiculous. And the worse thing was, I was 2-0 up vs. City, and lost like, 4-2 -_-

I had Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Man United then Arsenal so yes :hqhq: Although none of them took it seriously apart from Man City where I got jammy and scored my only 2 shots on target.

After closer scrutiny, I must have mistaken my FM11 saves with that of a previous FM. I've won the League with Liverpool in England, Spartak Moscow in Russia, Inter in Italy and Feyenoord in Holland. Still haven't had a job offer in any of the other countries with a decent team as far as I know. Also won the World Cup with Brazil and Copa thingy with Brazil and Argentina.

My Liverpool team was awesome. Made them in to the biggest and best club in the world before taking over Argentina. Was quite lol when the favourite for the job was Avram Grant, only for Guardiola to get it and continue my legacy (and probably improving on it). Currently at Inter and Brazil, the Brazil team has some amazing players but the Inter team is pretty ordinary which says a lot about how shit the Italian league is on my game. In fact, if I look at the World's major clubs, the top 6 is Liverpool, Getafe (odd as they don't have a single player valued over £8m), Manchester City, Napoli, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid.

1zvwm5l.png

Fantastic wonderkid. I'm at the 30th of January 2010, stayed unbeaten, and in-part due to the fact this kid was banging in goals prior to him leaving for the Oceania Cup, where he's scored a couple of goals to help New Zealand to the final. Sevilla have enquired about him, and Pep Guardiola was in attendance at one of my games to watch him, aswell as reported interest from Chelsea. I recommend him to everybody, a fantastic target man and almost as good as a poacher. Best thing is, I didn't have to pay a single thing for him as he's with my beloved Baggies from the start :D

A few screenshots of mine. I'm in 2026 now so two of them are ancient in FM terms >_> .

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hz4zkn.png

How did that only end 2-0? :|

http://i52.tinypic.com/35cn9kh.png

lolrealism

http://i55.tinypic.com/9u4qix.png

Probably the most epic game I've had despite not being the highest scoring.

The Barton one is hilarious :L Your FM 2011 screenshots make me miss the days of trying to get Albion in to Europe :( Now, on 2010, I'm just trying to get them into the Premier League! :P

Also, I've just decided to become Ghana manager. With the World Cup just 4 months away, I plan on helping Ghana to a respectable finish, before resigning to focus on my career with Albion.

EDIT: Just quit with them, only a few days after taking the job. Right now, I just want to focus on Albion. And taking in to account the upcoming World Cup and my inevitable promotion with Albion, somebody is bound to get sacked from an international job and I'll be a favoured candidate from a few more sides.

Eh, I've re-taken the job again. I had a little think about it and thought it'd be fun. They've got an awesome team and I've set them up in a 4-4-2 Diamond Tactic which brings out the best in each player, and its very attacking. Got a friendly vs. Wales in a few days, should be good.

I used to be obssessed from about 07-09. not really played much the last two years though. Current and only game on FM 11 I'm Liverpool, just starting my 6th season. Basically been quite dominant as every other team in the League has been poor. United and City seem to waste loads of money on average players and never improve much, United let Rooney go on a free as well. Arsenal are the 2nd best in the League and always are the biggest threat, Chelsea were on course to finish in the bottom half 2 years ago, but Mourinho returned and now they're top 4 again. Also got a new stadium which they want to name after me, going to have to change it though as it would look stupid.

This is from last years and why I hate International management now:

2vipi8n.png

And probably my most enjoyable game on any version:

2j18pz7.png

Also have a problem where I cont convert clear cut chances (2 from 11 >_>):

9ut5oj.png

Not sure if I'll get the new one, guess it depends on what new features it has.

Resigned from Ghana again. Forget international management, for now. It's probably something to do with the fact within 4 days from my first game, vs. Wales, I suffered with the fact Essien, Muntari, Mensah and Sarpei got injured. Gahh!

EDIT: Got another wonderkid in my side. His ratings don't do him justice really, but I have under-utilised him this season and have relied on him playing in the Cup. He's also being tutored by Robert Koren, one of his favourite personnel, and got him on a centre midfielders training schedule. His stats for a 19 year old really are something, and I expect him to be dominating my midfield in upcoming seasons with Graham Dorrans and Youssouf Mulumbu (unless I get anybody better). My little Slovenian Fabregas <3

Screenshot - Rene Krhin

I only really played one save using Everton. I was challenging for the Premier League up until Christmas, before the gap between me (2nd) and Arsenal (1st) became too much. I then stuck around 2nd/3rd for a while up until about April, where I dropped down to sixth after seemingly not being able to win any matches. I then stopped playing. In the same season, I won the League Cup and I'm currently in the Semi-Final of the F.A. Cup against Tottenham.

I'm just starting up a new game with my brother. He's going Man City, and I've gone Lyon.

Lyon are a really fun side to play as, RVD. I'm not keen on City or Chelsea because they always have ridiculous transfer budgets and it doesn't really become much of a challenge. Keep Miralem Pjanic and Alexander Lacazette, both turn into sensational players from my experiences with 2011 before it broke.

I've just won promotion back to the Premier League in my first season with Albion on 2010, with 106 points and 6 games left. Simon Cox is top of the goalscoring charts with 24 goals, and Chris Wood is just behind him with 17 or 18, and then Gabriel Tamas, the on-loan, goal-scoring defender from Auxerre, has got 15. I've scored 105 goals in total :P

Just had the most shocking match I've played. I was playing Liverpool, so expected to lose. I started the match and went for the toilet. Came back at half time it was 3-0. Started the 2nd half and wasn't really concentrating, and when I did I was 6-0 up. Only had 7 shots on target the whole match :hqhq:

Big love for FM. With my United career, bringing in De Gea, Jones, Young & Sneijder (i know :$). De Gea's became a TANK in goal, seriously amazing. Won the double in first season, League and Champions League. Was gutted about losing the FA Cup final 1-0 to Everton, wanted the treble.

Romelu Lukaku is such a great acquisition for any team, I stuck him in the under 18's and he scored something along the lines of 48 goals in 29 games. With the training he's getting and all, should be ready for first team in no time at all..

Archived